VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a calcium supplement, and I noticed that there are a ****load of different options for what to include. D, Zinc, Magnesium... I am doing some research to figure out what would be best for me, but what do you all think? Do you take one, and if you do, what does it include?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Hi nookle,

I'm doing a debate in class right now about calcium supplements. Most of my team mates think they're useless to prevent osteoperosis. I OTOH fee they are beneficial but not because we necessarily need more calcium in our diet.

It's pretty well known that western societies have the highest rates of osteoperosis and I'm learning that it's not necessarily because we don't get enough of calcium but due to eating habits and life style. We consume things that inhibit calcium absorption and promote calcim excretion. On average we absorb only 30% of the calcium we consume because of this and our RDA reflects that. I read a paper recently that looked at some small county in Africa where calcium consumption was around 400mg but there incidence of osteoperosis is very low. Our current RDA is around 1000mg i believe.

So...sodium, coffee and a number of other things promotes calcium excretion. Increased levels of estrogen negatively affect absorption. I have a list somewhere that i'll post in a few days. My job on the team is to find out why we only absorb 30% of intake. I'm sure you could find info tho if you googled it. Also, strength training and impact exercise is crucial for bone health.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, gaya. My reason for thinking of it in the first place is because I'm breastfeeding now, and likely will be for another year or so, and I know that if I don't have enough calcium in my diet, bébé will steal it from my bones, and I don't want that. So I just want to be extra sure about it for now.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I think you should definately take a supplement. i think we all should. Again, i recommend checking out inhibitors and promoters of excretion...not that i take my own advice or anything lol.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't know myself and I'm a bit confused as there exist recommendations to supplement breastfed babies with 200 IU vitamin D per day. What did the human race do before supplements were available?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

I don't know myself and I'm a bit confused as there exist recommendations to supplement breastfed babies with 200 IU vitamin D per day. What did the human race do before supplements were available?
From what i'm learning we did not have the same diet and lifestyle that would require increased consumption.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I take a calcium citrate supplement. Some forms are inferior from what I've researched. Carbonate is the most economical, but doesn't absorb as well as citrate, which is also easier on the stomach. These forms are most accessible.

As for vitamin D, what if my multivitamin has vit D but I take it at a separate time from the calcium?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lothar -

The bit about giving breastfed babies vitamin d - - it's because now, the recommendation is not to have your babies in the sun because of the risk of skin damage/cancer, and if you have to have them exposed to sun, to put sunscreen on them, and sunscreen keeps you from producing vitamin d. Before, babies were in the sun, so they made their own.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
gaya / nookle -: good ideas! My idea was instead of supplementing the baby one could supplement the mother, but I think mother's milk won't have an excess of vitamin D, even if supplemented, as phylogenetically the baby would have produced its own vitamin D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts