VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm new here and only just decided to give up the meat. i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or advice for me.

i have a part time job on the weekend working in a supermarket called tescos. i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what to have lunch time for dinner? the sandwiches are nearly all meat based so it makes it harder.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Do you want to bring something or eat something you can buy there? Is there a microwave?

I mostly take leftovers for lunch, like soup, or veggie pizza, or nutloaf with veggies and potatoes, or curry, or a noodle dish.

11,550 Posts
tesco is actually pretty veggie friendly, as far as supermarkets go, from what i remember (i haven't been in tesco for a year or two). if you don't fancy a cheese ploughmans or egg salad sandwich from the store, why not bring a sandwich that you do like, from home? (peanut butter and chocolate spread, jam, salad, veggieburger/veggiehotdog in a roll, pickled onion and marmite (yuck!) or pretty much whatever you enjoy!

and remember, lunch doesn't need to be a sandwich, there are loads of other things you could have- i can't eat wheat and yeast, and so i haven't had a proper sandwich in nearly 10 years, and i manage to have lunch every day!

if thats too much hassle, you could even buy the bits to make your own sandwich at work, and put it together there.

eg: get a really tasty fresh roll from the bakery (or a pita bread, or some crumpets, or potato scones, even!) and add some bagged salad, some of those 5 for 99p baby cheeses, a couple of spoonfuls of coleslaw (paid for, in a pot!) from the deli, an avocado, some cress, a diddy jar of marmite, a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jam, a bag of crisps, a vegetable samosa, and a can of fruitini, or a fruit salad, a single serve pot of rowntrees jelly or a 1/2 size can of rice pudding for dessert.

you could have a sweet and sour pot noodle even, if there is a kettle in the staffroom - which there must be! (i think even some of the meaty flavoured ones, while not very healthy, are veggie- check and see!). if there isn't, you could probably even use the hot tap in the food prep area for hot water.

you could do a little lunchtime grocery shop in your break, or before you start work, and have an 'a la carte' dinner- way more fun (and probably much cheaper- for what you actually get) than a boring prepacked sandwich.

if there is a microwave in the staffroom, even better. tesco has loads of frozen and chilled meals that are veggie friendly (look for a green V on the box). i think i remember them having chilled baked potatoes with cheese and/or baked beans, vegetable lasagne, a few curries, and cheese and onion pasties, as well as spring rolls, onion bhajis, samosas, falafels, etc- have a bit of a look around.

the freefrom section is pretty cool too, they have very nice veggie soups in a squidgy plastic package there (can't remember the brand, but they're yummy!), that you vent by tearing it open by 2 inches, then microwave for a couple of minutes- you could buy a plastic kids bowl and spoon or mug, and keep it at work (or bring one from home) and have yummy hot soup and a roll for lunch.

take a wander round the store, and have a think outside the box- there are probably loads of veggie foods that you could have for lunch, that you didn't even know about. worst case scenario, you could probably eat a hole packet of cheap chocolate bourbon biscuits (not the healthiest choice!), a carrot, an apple, a banana, and a bag of niknaks or wheat crunchies (not sure if they're veggie though) and it'd still cost less than a prepacked sandwich!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does your branch have a salad bar? If not, they most likely sell some kind of bread roll and hummus so you can make your own sandwich. Waitrose sells packaged pasta and couscous salads but I have no idea whether Tesco's does. Do you have access to a microwave?

·
Registered
0 Posts
This week I had fake ham and fake bologna on whole grain with spicy mustard with either an orange or mango on the side. The whole grain really fills me up so I don't get hungry until its time to go home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.