VeggieBoards banner

What to eat before workout.

5K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  veganmama884 
#1 ·
So I run everyday, 3.5 miles in 30 mins. I have been just eating a piece of fruit, because my main goal is weight lose, which has been going great. I think that is fine for when I run, but I also lift weights 3x a week too, so do I need protein before I lift weights? Again, my main goal is to lose weight, but I also wouldn't mind adding some muscle and getting my muscles up to par. Any advice would be appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yea, you shouldn't eat anything of real substance before a workout or you'll end up feeling sick and having to stop. Let any meals settle for an 1 hour - 1 hour 1/2, especially before something like weight training.

On the subject of protein, if your main goal is to lose weight, I think that you're probably getting enough protein as it is from a normal diet. Assuming you just want to tone the muscles that are there, you won't need extra protein unless you decide to seriously look at bodybuilding.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone!!! I think I might try without the fruit till after, maybe bring it with. I thought I was doing it right.

I know I don't need excess protein, I get plenty anyway. I have been doing a food diary on myfitnesspal.com. I find that helps a lot and I have already lost over 15 LBs since the beginning of the year. Probably would have been more, but in January and early this month, I kind of flaked out some. I have been going strong the last 3 weeks though.

#6 ·
Usually eat carbs vefore your workout so you have the energy to get through it, and even to push really hard and get a good job done. If you are doing something fairly intense, try to eat at least an hour before.

After a workout I'd suggest a 4:1, carb: protein ratio.

People say "PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN!", yes you need protein for your muscles to recover. But guess what? You need carbs for energy to move, and to help you recover as well.

So I'd suggest whole wheat carbs at least an hour before. If you can't get complex carbs, and you're in a hurry, try a banana or two.

#7 ·
I really like having fruit in the morning for breakfast around 8am, I feel better when I do, then I go to the gym around 9-10ish (when the gym isn't as busy). Then I usually try to having something with protein over brown rice or in a whole wheat pita/tortilla. So it sounds like I'm doing a decent job, huh? I will usually follow that meal up with a salad a few hours later.

#10 ·
try quinoa : carbs + protein in the same bowl ! just spice it up and add vegetables

#12 ·
Ok, instead of starting another thread, I want some opinions.

So I run 3 mins at 3.5, then 30 mins at 7, then do a quick cool down. I am about to bump that up a little, but do you think I would be better off running faster or making the duration longer?

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nal View Post

Ok, instead of starting another thread, I want some opinions.

So I run 3 mins at 3.5, then 30 mins at 7, then do a quick cool down. I am about to bump that up a little, but do you think I would be better off running faster or making the duration longer?
What are you going for? Weight loss, speed, endurance, etc? Your goal will make a difference on what you should be doing.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nal View Post

Sorry, my main priority is weight lose. Endurance is a close second though.
I have very similar goals (training for a half and full marathon this year). I'd say mix it up. I do a long run each week, each week adding a mile to the distance (this weekend I'm up to 10 miles). Keep in mind that every 3 weeks or so scale the long run back to give yourself a chance to recover. In addition I also do a speed workout once a week (i.e. hills, mile repeats, track workouts, etc), a tempo workout, and 2 - 3 easy runs. Intense running burns more calories per minute than slower running, but slower running burns more over the run since you are running for a much longer period. This is why you need to mix it up.

As for eating, you have to play around with what works for you. Short runs (<45 mins), I don't eat anything before and have something very small after (piece of fruit or a handful of nuts). For speed work and tempo runs I can't eat withon 2 hours otherwise I get bad side stitches, but definitely eat some carbs and a bit of protein within an hou of finishing. For long runs I have to be well fueled. I eat pasta or rice about 2 hours before, then I drink a vega energy drink right before (and depending on the distance another one during). If I'm running over 8 miles or so, I also have either an energy gel or a sports drink to replensih my carbs. When done the long run, definitely eat carbs and protein within about 30 mins of the run (otherwise I feel sick to my stomach).

I hope that helps! With the eating, it took me over a year to figure out what worked for me. Start with the main "rules" of running nutrition, then tweak them to see what works for you.

#16 ·
Thanks Vegan Heart Mom, sounds like an awesome plan you have there. I tried not eating yesterday at all and was scared that it would affect my running, well it didn't and I did 7mph for 40 mins and felt just fine. That is one big thing I noticed, now when I get off the treadmill, I'm not disoriented and winded as I use to be. I have a sore right ankle, so I'm taking the day off, I think. Maybe if it feels better tonight and I have nothing to do, I will go run.

#17 ·
I work out before work throughout the week so I go when I first get up. When I do cardio on the elliptical (an hour to an hour an a half) I don't eat anything. If I do when going hard at that much cardio I get nauseated. The days I go to lift weights (2 hour workout) sometimes I don't eat anything, but if when I wake up and feel kind of hungry I may eat a Clif Bar (the big 20gram protein ones) or I'll chug a bunch of soy or almond milk.

#18 ·
I have been going without eating before and I think that works best for me. I do want to try to get to the point where I can do a 1/2 marathon, because I want to do one this summer; maybe I will eat something before that, but a couple hours prior.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

Why do people use protein shakes? I've tracked my intake, and some days I get 65, 70grams of protein(well over what's needed) just by eating regularly. No powders/pills, no fortified foods.
>bodybuilder
>65-70 g protein

#22 ·
I always eat something light (half of rice protein bar or maybe a banana) before I work out. If I don't eat I feel light-headed. My work out normally consists of 60 min of cardio (running, elliptical, or spinning) and 15-30 min of strength training. I also drink a water/glucose drink mix during my work out. I eat breakfast after I work out also which is normally oatmeal or a protein smoothie/ drink.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhedgepeth View Post

I always eat something light (half of rice protein bar or maybe a banana) before I work out. If I don't eat I feel light-headed. My work out normally consists of 60 min of cardio (running, elliptical, or spinning) and 15-30 min of strength training. I also drink a water/glucose drink mix during my work out. I eat breakfast after I work out also which is normally oatmeal or a protein smoothie/ drink.
Sorry... What's "Spinning"?

#24 ·
Sorry, spinning is an in-door cycling class with stationary bikes. It is called a spinning class in my area.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

Lol
I think 55 is what's required for my weight. Isn't too much protein supposed to be bad for you? I'll stick with the same routine and 60 some odd grams a day as I've already had good results with that
Nah, 1,5-2 g protein per kg bw isn't too much, it's when you get up too 5-6 g/kg bw when it starts to get ugly.

I'm currently at 90 kg btw.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhedgepeth View Post

Sorry, spinning is an in-door cycling class with stationary bikes. It is called a spinning class in my area.
Oh, lol
Sorry, I was just picturing someone spinning in circles and stumbling around like a drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Nah, 1,5-2 g protein per kg bw isn't too much, it's when you get up too 5-6 g/kg bw when it starts to get ugly.

I'm currently at 90 kg btw.
Oh okay. I'm at about 140. Not a very big guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.