VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nal View Post

Ok, instead of starting another thread, I want some opinions.

So I run 3 mins at 3.5, then 30 mins at 7, then do a quick cool down. I am about to bump that up a little, but do you think I would be better off running faster or making the duration longer?
What are you going for? Weight loss, speed, endurance, etc? Your goal will make a difference on what you should be doing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nal View Post

Sorry, my main priority is weight lose. Endurance is a close second though.
I have very similar goals (training for a half and full marathon this year). I'd say mix it up. I do a long run each week, each week adding a mile to the distance (this weekend I'm up to 10 miles). Keep in mind that every 3 weeks or so scale the long run back to give yourself a chance to recover. In addition I also do a speed workout once a week (i.e. hills, mile repeats, track workouts, etc), a tempo workout, and 2 - 3 easy runs. Intense running burns more calories per minute than slower running, but slower running burns more over the run since you are running for a much longer period. This is why you need to mix it up.

As for eating, you have to play around with what works for you. Short runs (<45 mins), I don't eat anything before and have something very small after (piece of fruit or a handful of nuts). For speed work and tempo runs I can't eat withon 2 hours otherwise I get bad side stitches, but definitely eat some carbs and a bit of protein within an hou of finishing. For long runs I have to be well fueled. I eat pasta or rice about 2 hours before, then I drink a vega energy drink right before (and depending on the distance another one during). If I'm running over 8 miles or so, I also have either an energy gel or a sports drink to replensih my carbs. When done the long run, definitely eat carbs and protein within about 30 mins of the run (otherwise I feel sick to my stomach).

I hope that helps! With the eating, it took me over a year to figure out what worked for me. Start with the main "rules" of running nutrition, then tweak them to see what works for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts