VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just back from the farmer's market where I got a big bag of zucchini squash blossoms with tiny zucchini attached. I thought I would saute them with a bit of olive oil, some garlic and possibly another vegetable like corn. I was planning on serving them as a side with vegan tamales.

Most of the recipes I have found online seem to either stuff them with cheese or use them in egg dishes. I hope that what I'm planning on doing will turn out.

Have you cooked with squash blossoms before? Do you have a recipe or method that you would share? (I did search the site first.) TIA

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
These are one of my favorite things out of our garden. What you have mentioned sounds really good.

I usually just mix up some ricotta cheese, egg, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, pinch of sugar, parsley and stuff them and pan fry them in olive oil.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never used them from my own garden. I always let them mature and then we have way too much zucchini come August.

Your recipe sounds delicious and I might try something like that another time but my daughter is visiting for the weekend and she doesn't eat cheese.

I have challenged myself to try something unfamiliar every week until I run out of new and different things locally. We have planted some different types of things in the garden too. I'll probably be here a lot looking for ways to use it all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It turned out wonderfully!

I sauteed some garlic in some olive oil, added about a cup of corn kernels and the tiny zucchini and let that cook for a bit. Then I added the squash blossoms and about 1/2 cup of cilantro leaves and just let it cook down a little. Some ground pepper and salt sprinkled on top and it was great! I served it with pinto beans and vegan tamales which were stuffed with zucchini and corn. Everyone is too stuffed for the blueberry tarts with soy vanilla ice cream that's for dessert.

My oldest daughter is home for the weekend and I love cooking for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts