VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a bottle of grapeseed oil, now what do i do with it? i buy the veganaise with that in it, and know it's very healthy for u, but can i use it like olive oil? in cooking? as a salad dressing? what about taste? does it need to be refrigerated? help!

thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I use mine just like olive oil so yes: cooking, dressings etc. It tastes a little different to olive oil but I think it is nice. I also warm it up and use it on my hair if its been really dry. Works a treat

I keep mine in my cupboard not in the fridge.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I buy grapeseed oil all of the time, but not food grade, and not for cooking!

If you go for a professional massage, 9 times out of 10, your going to get essential oils, almond oils and such mixed with grapeseed oil. Why? It is inexpensive, it doesn't go rancid quickly, AND it has a neutral smell/ taste.

I keep grapeseed oil in my shower and bath, and when I am done with my shower or bath, I slather grapeseed oil all over my body and face. I let it mix with the water that's left on me and rub it in, and then I get out and rub off the excess with my towel.

My skin is in great shape. It wigs women out at the cosmetic counters when they try to sell me expensive creams and stuff - telling me that I have a few wrinkles and I need to address them or I'll be suffering for them when I get older and into my 40's. I then get to tell them that I'm 41, and that my moisturizer costs all of $7. per quart.

I love the stuff. Whenever I am feeling like my hands are dry, I'll just pour it on my hands and work it in. Same with feet, elbows, etc.

It is also a great oil for the bedroom activities - odorless, tasteless...no artificial stuff, and no petroleum products in it.

Grapeseed oil is the best. Just beware - if you use white towels with my skin softening method, they well eventually get yellowed and a little funny looking after going through the washer and drier, if you are using the grapeseed oil everyday. I have red towels, so it's not big deal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow that is a wealth of information, thanks! i will try it in a salad later. also, the one used for body care, the grocery one i purchased, is that very different? can it be used the same way? this board is great cause "civilians" i know have never heard of the stuff!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason grapeseed oil does not turn rancid so fast is that it is very high in antioxidants.

For other oils that *do* turn rancid quickly, you can actually float a little vitamin E on top or even, perhaps, some grape seed oil. That will protect the more fragile oil from oxidation and prolong its life.

Also, try to keep your oils away from sunlight, and store them in dark glass containers if possible. I shudder each time I see canola oil in the stores in clear bottles in front of large windows!

David

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Do you know, how the grapeseed oil is made? In Germany it´s a highly refined oil, which I don´t use. I like more cold pressed oils in their natural form (without refinement that takes out the goodies).

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here in the state, even in a relatively non-veg*n friendly city like San Antonio, you can easily get expeller-presses grapeseed oil.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well, they used to carry a large container of it in the vitamin section of Whole Foods, but I noticed that it wasn't there anymore. I guess that I usually buy food grade organic expeller pressed grapeseed oil from the oil section of our HFS. I didn't realize it was such a big deal, really.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I just read something about grape seed oil, which made me nervous. Grape seeds are a by-product of the wine industry here in Germany, which already had been in the news for adding glycole to wine. Sometimes the oil is extracted by using trichlorethylen, which is said to cancerogenic. Please make sure, that this method isn´t used in the oil you put on your salad.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Grapeseed oil is my first choice if I must use oil that will be heated. I keep a small bottle of organic cold pressed olive oil for salad and things that do not need to be heated.

I like the buttery taste of grapeseed oil in baked foods, I also appreciate the high smoking point of grapeseed oil if I need to sauté in oil instead of in broth or wine.

The brand I usually get is Napa Valley Naturals. Usually I buy a bottle labeled *organic* but the last time I was at PCC in Kirkland they were out of organic so I have a bottle of the regular. It says that it is "Naturally" pressed and among other things is chemical and GMO free. The label also says that grapeseed oil has the highest concentrations of mono and polyunsaturated fats of any oil and the lowest of any oil in saturated fats. They claim it is an excellent source of vitamin E and is 75% essential linleic acid also known as Omega 6. I am also to note that the oil is unfiltered to maximize flavor.

However my back up bottle in the pantry is from The International Collection (purchased at the grocery store rather then the HFS). It lists only grapeseed oil, a product of France. Packed in the UK by Anglia Oils Limited. Now Lother has me worried about this bottle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.