VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my birthday today and I have only recently gone vegan from vegetarian. Anyway my sister bought me a box of dairy chocolates and I don't know what to do. I went to so much effort to ensure that my cake would have no dairy or egg and that the dinner would be vegan friendly and I really feel like it has been wasted now. I can't appear ungrateful because I love my sister but I feel like this is a real hurdle. What would any of you guys do?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
say thank you and toss them. she will slowly catch on but it's really not worth getting all upset about. i'm sure she meant the best.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Instead of tossing them, you could give them to someone who will eat them. They were already produced and purchased, no reason to waste.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, I'm not decreasing the demand my throwing them. And she did mean well, thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yeah I agree, politely accept and then give them away. No need to get upset. As she is your sister, and you're new to veganism, she'll probally catch on later down the line so I wouldn't worry about pointing it out just yet.

Now that I've been vegan for a while, what I do depends on who it is. If it's someone who understands (or semi understands) my veganism and is a close friend/relative I will say thank you very much, but I'm really sorry these aren't vegan. Otherwise it'll just keep happening, and if they ever found out they'd feel hurt that I hadn't said and had just kept throwing their gifts away. If I also have other gifts from them, I concentrait on how much I love those as well, and just generally do everything I can to make sure they don't feel bad.

If it is someone who doesn't really understand veganism, or who I don't know that well (distant relatives, older relatives, new friends who don't really know me) I just politely accept and either give it away, donate it to charity, or take it back to the shop and exchange it. I don't want to cause embarrasment and appear ungrateful, especially if I know they're unlikley to get me gifts again (as I approached 18 this was often true) or they just wont get their head about veganism.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Yeah I agree, politely accept and then give them away. No need to get upset. As she is your sister, and you're new to veganism, she'll probally catch on later down the line so I wouldn't worry about pointing it out just yet.
I agree, leave it a little while after your birthday to make any announcements about your veganism, but just don't leave it too long because you can bet that when xmas soon arrives you will be in the same boat again.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Ok here's the thing about family: they're basically stuck to you. So you can handle it a little less tactfully than if say your boss gave you nonvegan chocolates. She's your sister and that's not going to change. She deserves some honesty. For example, "Thanks so much for the gift. That was really thoughtful. But now that I'm vegan I don't eat chocolate with dairy in it. Would you like these chocolates back? Maybe we can do something fun together instead, like take that curling class we talked about."

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yeah since it is your sister I would say something. I was going vegan around Christmas last year and a good friend gave me a box of wafer biscuits with dairy in them. I was thinking about whether to tell her or not, but then something casual about veganism came up and she suddenly realised, "Oh no! I totally didn't think of that. Those wafers have dairy and you're trying not to have dairy now! I'll totally get you something else!" It was funny. I told her not to worry about it and my mum had the box of wafers. Basically people you are close to should be supportive anyway and understand.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hey....

Happy Birthday!

that's all I have to say.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Happy belated birthday!
Mine's today and I JUST received a non-vegan friendly gift over lunch with coworkers. But because it's coworkers and I don't intend on still being here next year, I just said thank you and put it in my bag with the bottle of wine I got. I figure I might find someone to drink it (It's like a booster drink, but it's got whey protein powder in it).

Btw, I'm jealous of your birthday. I was supposed to be born in October, which is my favorite month of the year. Oh well, I suppose the day of the dead is a pretty cool bday too.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My sister bought me some gummi worms a while back. I used to love them but of course most have gelatin and I haven't eaten them in years. I said thanks and then gave them away. I think if it's a one time thing it's not worth mentioning and hurting their feelings. When you discuss being vegan in the future they'll learn to look before buying or will just avoid buying you food.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Happy B-Day

I just take the gift and say thank-you and either give it to someone else or donate it....for the most part I dont make a big deal out of it....I appreciate the thought and love put into it thats the real gift to me.

MUch PEace & MUch LOve

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My Birthday is this coming tuesday and If someone gave me a non veg gift like that I would take it and give it to my husband LOL or right now just give it to the next door neighbor because she has a 5 year old.
This year my mom sent my birthday card early with my sister's card she sent a week and half ago because my sister's are two week before mine. So I had the privilege to get my Birthday card before Halloween LOL. I spent it on farmville with Halloween stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts