VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i just found a cheapish source of dried chickeas, different beasn, and lupins. The problem is, I have no idea what lupins are (aren't they like a flower or something?) or what to do with them.<br><br>
Just for clarifcation - flattish cream coloured beany looking thingies.<br><br>
I'm a great describer.<br><br><br><br>
Could anyone tell me what to do with them? I am presuming they are edible, being in the beans and stuff section.

·
Registered
593 Posts
....no clue. At first all i kept thinking was wolves (?), but after your description I can tell that that aint it lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lupins - from pea family (chickpeas etc)<br><br>
I think the white ones are the only edible ones as some lupin (or lupine) seeds are poisonous.<br><br><br><br>
They are about 40% protein which is more than Soy beans I think.<br><br>
Do a google search for recipes but thet are used in the recipes as any legume/pea.

·
Registered
178 Posts
wow..i always thought that lupins were flowers because we have them here and they are pretty but quite pungent....but I guess there is more than one thing called lupin

·
Registered
431 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by candycane02</i><br><br><b>wow..i always thought that lupins were flowers because we have them here and they are pretty but quite pungent....but I guess there is more than one thing called lupin</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Yup they are flowers too. I think the seeds come from the flower - the little buds.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
In Germany there´s a company, who made something like tofu out of lupines, it´s called lopino. It´s yellow and tastes sweet, but it´s not as firm as tofu, it tends to fall apart. Nevertheless that taste is goog.<br><br>
Look at Monty Python´s Flying Circus, you might find a story about "Mr Moore", someone who took the luoines of the rich to give them to the poor.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I've had lupini beans. It sounds like they are the same thing as your lupins. The ones I had came from an Arabic co-worker. They were in a jar of salty brine. He rinsed off the brine & showed us how to pinch the end of the bean, so that the bean popped out of the skin. They're a very tasty snack!<br><br><br><br>
But I don't know how you would prepare the dried ones. Sorry.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
makes me think of Money Python too. he keeps handing them different coloured flowers that look sort of like lilacs.<br><br><br><br>
"ack, the cat's died. choked on a lupin"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts