VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...at the risk of sounding EXTREMELY ignorant, i just bought a block of extra firm tofu. So now what
? My original idea was to put it in a stir fry w/some veggies but....do i have to do anything to it first? I tried it years ago and did not like it AT ALL but i figured maybe my tastes have changed and we'll give it another try. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Before I fry tofu I usually press some of the water out of it; that makes it fry easier. I put a 4 lb weight on top of it and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes. Then I chop it up and fry it. You can stir-fry it with other vegetables or just fry it alone and eat it with dipping sauce. I like it with just Magi or Braggs liquid aminos or whole grain soy sauce.

Another thing you can do with tofu is put it in soups. I put it in miso soup, hot and sour soup, and vegetable soup.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just made Texas Fried Tofu "Chicken." I'm a horrible cook, but it turned out pretty good. Give it a try, its pretty simple.

Texas Fried Tofu "Chicken"

1 lb Tofu "chicken" (prepared as in basic recipe), thickly sliced

Seasoned Flour:

1/2 cup flour

1/2 tsp seasoned salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp sugar

1/8 tsp cayenne

Batter:

1/2 cup flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

Pinch of salt

Soymilk

Other:

Oil for frying

Remove Tofu "chicken" from its broth. Let drain on paper towels.

In a bowl, mix seasoned flour.

In another bowl, mix batter, using just enough soymilk to

get a thick, pancake-batter consistency.

Dip Tofu into seasoned flour. Shake off excess.

Dip Tofu into batter. Shake off excess.

Dip Tofu into seasoned flour again, coating well.

Dip Tofu into batter again, coating well.

Dip Tofu into seasoned flour again, coating very well.

Put coated Tofu onto a plate. Chill 30 minutes (optional step).

Heat some oil for frying.

Fry battered Tofu until crispy.

Drain on paper towels.

Serve with sauces of your choice:

Sweet & Sour, BBQ, hot mustard, etc.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What a GREAT recipe! I am definitely going to try it.

I love good tofu (white wave is my fav) just blotted on paper towels, sprayed with Sprectrum Organics pan spray, fried until a little crisp and coated with Braggs and salt. MMMMMMMMM......

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
If you put it in stir fry, you might want to consider cubing it and putting the cubes in a baggie with a bit of soy sauce (or some of the stir fry sauce you plan on using). Let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Then, make your stir fry as you normally would. That way, the tofu "tastes like something."

I usually marinade my tofu before I cook it. We do tofu skewers in the summer, and it's always quite yummy to marinade it in some cajun sauce or something a couple of hours before throwing it on the grill... mmmm... BBQ tofu....

amy (who loves tofu)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I usually cut rectangles of tofu (3/4" x 1" kindof size) and fry them in olive oil (flip them all once). I generally buy tofu that has some flavour in it (like Pete's Italian Herb ...yumm, my current favourite). You can add soy sauce, seasonings or whatever in the pan or some people soak the tofu in a seasoned liquid beforehand.

I've never frozen mine, or put weights on it but I like how it comes out how I do it (has a bit of a golden crispy outside) ... although I'm sure these methods are alright too (but just wanted to point out that tofu is useful without doing that)

Generally if I'm making something that has stir-fried veggies (like peppers, zuchini, mushrooms , etc. ..), I'll start the tofu and medium-low on the burner in a big pan first with olive oil .... then when I turn them once, I add the mushrooms and peppers (to their own side of the pan) .... and last the zuchini (as it's softest). The rice (or pasta or whatever) has been done in it's pot and any boiled veggies are done too (carrots or brocholi).

Sometimes I just cut the tofu into different shapes (longer/thinner etc) which can make it different. Try out the different types ... Pete's has a number of kinds.

I have this sandwich I like making which is zuchini stripes, mushrooms, and thinly sliced tofu all sauteed a bit in olive oil in a pan and seasoned. I put this on spinach with a tomato slice on top between toasted bread and it's a great sandwich.

--------------------------

That battered tofu sounds great (I still haven't tried a batter yet after nearly a year LOL .... I must do that tonight
)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OregonAmy

If you put it in stir fry, you might want to consider cubing it and putting the cubes in a baggie with a bit of soy sauce (or some of the stir fry sauce you plan on using). Let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Then, make your stir fry as you normally would. That way, the tofu "tastes like something."

I was going to mention the same thing. Tofu is great about picking up the flavors of foods, so you can marinate it, and it will taste great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts