VeggieBoards banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
lol

well if it comes to that point i'm sure i'll think of a way to politely tell her a better offer came along

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I just wanted to point out that working for commission is sooo not fun. (Which I'm sure you already know, but I felt like mentioning it.)

Especially in this slow economy, people just aren't buying stuff, but the quotas that sales people are required to meet haven't been adjusted to accomodate that, which leads to a lot of pressure from the management to sell more. Some companies even penalize you for not meeting quota.

I've worked jobs that I absolutely detested (There was one that was so bad, the stress made me physically ill by exacerbating my migraine problem, which caused blinding headaches and nausea each day...I think I was keeping the painkiller industry in business at that time, heh) but I had to do it to pay the bills, so I toughed it out for a year 'til I found something better. (Although I swear, a single hour in that job was a lifetime too long.)

It sounds like you don't have to wait for an opportunity to do something you'll enjoy more, and as long as the income from that job is sufficient to meet your needs, I think it would be a better opportunity.

Not everyone has the chance to do work that they enjoy, so I say go for it! Good luck!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yeah i'm thinking the same thing. the money won't be as good, but the added stress of sales quotas is something i don't need so it might be worth it.

so yep i think that's what i'll do, schedule the interview on lunch hour probably wednesday and if they offer me the job i'll most likely take it.

my mom thinks the toy store won't have a benefits package because it's a small family run store in a small town so they probably can't afford it. but aren't employers required to offer benefits to full time staff?

i think i figured the hours to be 35 a week which i think is full time in ontario. i guess i'll have to look into this

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I don't know about Canada, but I believe that here, at least in my state, employers aren't required to give you any benefits, even if you are full-time.

It could be different where you are, though, so check in to it. ^_^

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
The only benefits mandated (in the US) are workers' compensation, over time (non-salaried), and unpaid family leave (more than 50 employees).

Some states require other benefits (paid jury duty leave, etc).

I don't believe I am missing anything else.

What confuses some people is that if a company offers a certain type of benefit to a certain class of worker, then all employees in that class become eligible (again, company size and state regs can play a role in this.)

For example, if full-time salaried employees are offered health benefits, then all full-time salaried employees will be offered health benefits. Same with life insurance, etc. However, the same company could exclude hourly employees or part timers from the benefit.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
oh ugh. so probably not then, i think she said they have about 40 employees and it's hourly even for full timers.

the cellphone place has health and dental but it's a big corporation versus a tiny family run one-location place.

either way i think i'd rather give up the benefits and work at the toy store. i figured out the wages on paper and assuming i'd make between 7 and 8 bucks an hour at the toy store, it's only a hundred bucks a month difference (not including commission at the cellphone place) and either way i come out way ahead at the end of the month after bills. so i'd say it's worth it

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
LF: I *think* in Ontario all employers are now required to pay full time employees' OHIP coverage. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's how it is. I dunno, here in Nova Scotia everyone is just given a medical card as long as they are a resident. No user fees, no extra fees, nothing. It's oneof thosething we all pay the high taxes for

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
agh i replied but the site lagged or something and dumped it out into cyberspace somewhere.

in a nutshell i tried to say that OHIP covers almost everything and it's not through work, health benefits just covers perscription costs and maybe elective surgeries depending on the plan. all i need is dental cause my perscription costs are low

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Day 1

yeah so i started the cellphone place today, bright and early. just got home an hour ago, i have a headache and my feet hurt. anyway it wasn't horrible. i'm still not gung-ho about selling phones, but we'll see how it goes.

they had hired someone else before me, which is why i didn't hear back for so long. 2 weeks into the job he got a better offer elsewhere and left. the manager kept bringing it up all day, i get the feeling she was kinda upset by it, especially since he called 2 minutes before he was supposed to be at work and said "great news!"

but, she also said she's impressed that i've retained so much more info in my first day than he did in his first week. and she already found out about my veganism and poked fun and asked questions all day. and put me on the spot in front of two customers *grumble*

anywho supposedly in a day or two i'm supposed to start helping customers and by next week i have to be ready to work by myself. i'll be alone on tuesday.

however, i'm still gonna call toy store lady tomorrow if i can, and set the interview up for this thursday, which i have off, woohoo. that works great cause i won't have to sneak away at lunch and give some lame excuse.

hurrah.

hopefully by the time i get an answer back from the interview i'll have a better idea of whether or not i'd like the current job. if i do take the toy store job now i'm gonna feel really bad bailing out on her, after the last guy did the same. oh well

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'd nip her poking at your veg*ism in the bud like real quick. Pull her to the side and explain it to her the best you can. People like this really tend to upset me at times....just started reading Carol Adams book Living with Meat Eaters though..maybe she's a blocked vegetarian!! Yeah, that's it!!

Anyhow, hang in there.....better days ahead for sure

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
yeah. well if i stay there and it gets to me i'll let her know. i don't mind people asking about it of course, but announcing it to customers is a no-no

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

yeah. well if i stay there and it gets to me i'll let her know. i don't mind people asking about it of course, but announcing it to customers is a no-no
If you do get the toy store job and decide to take it, and if your cell phone boss tries to guilt-monger you for leaving, you can guilt-monger her right back about embarrassing you in front of customers. So, in a way, she has given you a gift.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
hey that's true lol

weeeeeeeell i called to set up that interview like i was told, and the owner seemed to have no idea what for, or any any recollection of meeting me at christmas where she told me to try again in february. so she said there's no positions open right now but i can call back next week and set up an interview, cause if she finds someone she'd like to hire she'll keep them in mind when a position opens up.

ugh. nice, thanks for the runaround. yes we're hiring. what? we're not hiring, who told you that. pfffffft

but i'll still call next week and set it up. i wanna keep my options open in case this cellphone dealy doesn't work out

so far i don't entirely hate it but we'll see how long it takes me to learn everything there is to know (lots). i'm by myself on tuesday, if i don't figure it all out by then i'll be screwed.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts