VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you probably all know, i've been jobhunting for quite a while. i had a horrible interview at this place that sells cellphones for AT&T. as soon as i left the interview i knew i bombed and wished i could have a do-over. since then i looked through some sample interview questions and answers online and realized just how poorly i did in that interview, and in a couple of others as well. so i wasn't surprised that the interviewer didn't say whether or not i'd hear from her, i figured it was safe to assume i didn't get the job, since there were like 10 other applicants.

anyway, today i went downtown and re-visited a wicked cool toystore, and they're hiring. the owner seemed to like me when i went in before christmas, and said to call on tuesday to set up an interview time with her. so i came home feeling pretty positive, thinking i can totally score this job now cause they just got back from holidays today, i'm probably the only applicant right now. wicked.

so then i'm making something to eat and the phone rings, and it's the bloody manager of the cellphone place, telling me i start monday morning! what the heck? were we at the same interview?

eep! ok, so i said yeah, great, i'll be there with bells on. job hunt over hurrah!

here's my problem. do i still go to the other interview, make an excuse like i have a dr. appointment or whatever? or do i just bail on the toy store thing and stick with cell phones.

i don't know much about this junk (cellphones), i'd be working under a sales quota, working every other saturday plus all week, and i'd have to walk 25 minutes or so to the bank to do the deposit after my shifts, alone, after 6. with a big ol' bag o' money. and forget about time off at holidays.

now the toy store, is a bit less hours, probably lower pay, but i'd have christmas off definately cause they close the store for 2 weeks. i'd work every 5th saturday or so, it's a fun environment, the uniform is bright red pinstripe overalls and funky hats and you play with toys all day long, it's downtown so the walk to the bank is like 2 minutes and i'd probably not have to do it alone. the staff there is massive, like 40 people, mostly my age or younger.

both are full time so i imagine both have benefits. Rogers has great benefits i know with amazing dental coverage, the toy store i don't know but i'd find out at the interview if i go.

what do i doooooooo? one's a sure thing, but the other would be far more enjoyable. but the sure thing is higher pay. it's also harder though and i'd have more responsibility. both give me sales and customer service experience, both managers are nice and seem easy to get along with.

advice? my head hurts from thinking about this.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that's sorta what i'm thinking too. thing is she said all next week i'll be working 9 til 6, even on saturday. i dunno how i'll sneak away, the owner of the toy store is only there from 10 til 2. i do think i'd be happier at the toy store.

both of them have customer service, but in different ways. like the phone place, people come in all the time with problems with their phone or account and i'd have to help them however i could, which means learning everything about all the phones and account packages and whatnot. i find it all quite boring. even when i shopped around for my own cellphone i just took the first one they showed me cause i didn't want to have to read all the pamphlets lol.

ugh. but if i don't get the other job, and i turn down this one, i'll be back where i started, with nothing.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they're both full time in the day. one is 9am til 6pm and i think the other was 10am til 5pm.

if both were offering me part time positions with alternating hours it'd be cool, but no such luck

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they're open til christmas eve then christmas day they're closed and for the two weeks after that.

i dunno, i may have to do that Ruthie, but i know i probably won't like the cellphone place at all. 80% return on dental fees versus not hating what i do every day

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol thanks

ok thing is the owner of the toy store isn't there mondays, i was told to call tuesday and set up an interview time. i don't know if the interview will be on tuesday, or what.

so i called my mom and the two of us came up with this plan lol...

i was told in the first interview that they combine the 2 15 minute breaks with the lunch break so that i'd get a full hour off for lunch, half paid half not. ok so i'll go monday, and tuesday i'll go out for lunch, to the sub place 2 doors down, there's a payphone there. i'll call during lunch to set up the interview, and try to get it for wednesday during my lunch, by then i should know if my lunch is the same time every day. and i'll let bosslady know that i have an "appointment" wednesday that i made sure to schedule during lunch, but i may or may not come back a few minutes late depending on how long it takes. she shouldn't have a problem with that i don't think.

then i'll beg my darling boyfriend to come get me and drive me to the other interview cause it'd be a half hour walk from there, and give me a ride back. if the interview lasts less than half an hour, which it probably will, it should all fit nicely and maybe still have time to eat after.

whew.

anyway, benefits are nice, i don't know if the toy store has benefits or not, but either way i think if they offer me the job i'll take it, i know i'd enjoy it more.

how do you tell a boss that you're leaving 3 days into the job? lol

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
lol

well if it comes to that point i'm sure i'll think of a way to politely tell her a better offer came along

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yeah i'm thinking the same thing. the money won't be as good, but the added stress of sales quotas is something i don't need so it might be worth it.

so yep i think that's what i'll do, schedule the interview on lunch hour probably wednesday and if they offer me the job i'll most likely take it.

my mom thinks the toy store won't have a benefits package because it's a small family run store in a small town so they probably can't afford it. but aren't employers required to offer benefits to full time staff?

i think i figured the hours to be 35 a week which i think is full time in ontario. i guess i'll have to look into this

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
oh ugh. so probably not then, i think she said they have about 40 employees and it's hourly even for full timers.

the cellphone place has health and dental but it's a big corporation versus a tiny family run one-location place.

either way i think i'd rather give up the benefits and work at the toy store. i figured out the wages on paper and assuming i'd make between 7 and 8 bucks an hour at the toy store, it's only a hundred bucks a month difference (not including commission at the cellphone place) and either way i come out way ahead at the end of the month after bills. so i'd say it's worth it

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
agh i replied but the site lagged or something and dumped it out into cyberspace somewhere.

in a nutshell i tried to say that OHIP covers almost everything and it's not through work, health benefits just covers perscription costs and maybe elective surgeries depending on the plan. all i need is dental cause my perscription costs are low

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Day 1

yeah so i started the cellphone place today, bright and early. just got home an hour ago, i have a headache and my feet hurt. anyway it wasn't horrible. i'm still not gung-ho about selling phones, but we'll see how it goes.

they had hired someone else before me, which is why i didn't hear back for so long. 2 weeks into the job he got a better offer elsewhere and left. the manager kept bringing it up all day, i get the feeling she was kinda upset by it, especially since he called 2 minutes before he was supposed to be at work and said "great news!"

but, she also said she's impressed that i've retained so much more info in my first day than he did in his first week. and she already found out about my veganism and poked fun and asked questions all day. and put me on the spot in front of two customers *grumble*

anywho supposedly in a day or two i'm supposed to start helping customers and by next week i have to be ready to work by myself. i'll be alone on tuesday.

however, i'm still gonna call toy store lady tomorrow if i can, and set the interview up for this thursday, which i have off, woohoo. that works great cause i won't have to sneak away at lunch and give some lame excuse.

hurrah.

hopefully by the time i get an answer back from the interview i'll have a better idea of whether or not i'd like the current job. if i do take the toy store job now i'm gonna feel really bad bailing out on her, after the last guy did the same. oh well

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
yeah. well if i stay there and it gets to me i'll let her know. i don't mind people asking about it of course, but announcing it to customers is a no-no

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
hey that's true lol

weeeeeeeell i called to set up that interview like i was told, and the owner seemed to have no idea what for, or any any recollection of meeting me at christmas where she told me to try again in february. so she said there's no positions open right now but i can call back next week and set up an interview, cause if she finds someone she'd like to hire she'll keep them in mind when a position opens up.

ugh. nice, thanks for the runaround. yes we're hiring. what? we're not hiring, who told you that. pfffffft

but i'll still call next week and set it up. i wanna keep my options open in case this cellphone dealy doesn't work out

so far i don't entirely hate it but we'll see how long it takes me to learn everything there is to know (lots). i'm by myself on tuesday, if i don't figure it all out by then i'll be screwed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts