VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you probably all know, i've been jobhunting for quite a while. i had a horrible interview at this place that sells cellphones for AT&T. as soon as i left the interview i knew i bombed and wished i could have a do-over. since then i looked through some sample interview questions and answers online and realized just how poorly i did in that interview, and in a couple of others as well. so i wasn't surprised that the interviewer didn't say whether or not i'd hear from her, i figured it was safe to assume i didn't get the job, since there were like 10 other applicants.

anyway, today i went downtown and re-visited a wicked cool toystore, and they're hiring. the owner seemed to like me when i went in before christmas, and said to call on tuesday to set up an interview time with her. so i came home feeling pretty positive, thinking i can totally score this job now cause they just got back from holidays today, i'm probably the only applicant right now. wicked.

so then i'm making something to eat and the phone rings, and it's the bloody manager of the cellphone place, telling me i start monday morning! what the heck? were we at the same interview?

eep! ok, so i said yeah, great, i'll be there with bells on. job hunt over hurrah!

here's my problem. do i still go to the other interview, make an excuse like i have a dr. appointment or whatever? or do i just bail on the toy store thing and stick with cell phones.

i don't know much about this junk (cellphones), i'd be working under a sales quota, working every other saturday plus all week, and i'd have to walk 25 minutes or so to the bank to do the deposit after my shifts, alone, after 6. with a big ol' bag o' money. and forget about time off at holidays.

now the toy store, is a bit less hours, probably lower pay, but i'd have christmas off definately cause they close the store for 2 weeks. i'd work every 5th saturday or so, it's a fun environment, the uniform is bright red pinstripe overalls and funky hats and you play with toys all day long, it's downtown so the walk to the bank is like 2 minutes and i'd probably not have to do it alone. the staff there is massive, like 40 people, mostly my age or younger.

both are full time so i imagine both have benefits. Rogers has great benefits i know with amazing dental coverage, the toy store i don't know but i'd find out at the interview if i go.

what do i doooooooo? one's a sure thing, but the other would be far more enjoyable. but the sure thing is higher pay. it's also harder though and i'd have more responsibility. both give me sales and customer service experience, both managers are nice and seem easy to get along with.

advice? my head hurts from thinking about this.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
speaking from experience here, sales jobs pretty much suck ass. the possibility of slightly more money does not make up for the pressure you will be under. and believe me, even in a lower-end sales job, they keep the pressure on you, high, all the time.

it sounds like the toy store would be a lot less stress, in the long run. focus on customer service rather than sales. you know?

BUT the benefits thing is a big plus.

if i were you, i'd start the cellphone job, but i would go to the toy store interview to scope out the job a little more thoroughly.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that's sorta what i'm thinking too. thing is she said all next week i'll be working 9 til 6, even on saturday. i dunno how i'll sneak away, the owner of the toy store is only there from 10 til 2. i do think i'd be happier at the toy store.

both of them have customer service, but in different ways. like the phone place, people come in all the time with problems with their phone or account and i'd have to help them however i could, which means learning everything about all the phones and account packages and whatnot. i find it all quite boring. even when i shopped around for my own cellphone i just took the first one they showed me cause i didn't want to have to read all the pamphlets lol.

ugh. but if i don't get the other job, and i turn down this one, i'll be back where i started, with nothing.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they're both full time in the day. one is 9am til 6pm and i think the other was 10am til 5pm.

if both were offering me part time positions with alternating hours it'd be cool, but no such luck

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
0 Posts
My advice: Be honest with the toy store lady. Don't burn any bridges. Tell her what happened and how you are supposed to start on Mon. Take the cell phone job. Tell the toy store that you are going to see if it works out. But if it doesn't, is the door still open for you to come back at talk about possible employment? I mean, how pressed is she to find someone. Can she wait a couple of weeks? If so, she will appreciate your honesty and realize that's a virtue not found easily. Maybe she'll counter-offer.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they're open til christmas eve then christmas day they're closed and for the two weeks after that.

i dunno, i may have to do that Ruthie, but i know i probably won't like the cellphone place at all. 80% return on dental fees versus not hating what i do every day

·
Registered
0 Posts
Life is too short to do a job all day that you hate. You will end up quiting. I say go to the toy store interview and be yourself. Let the interviewer know that you really want the job. You could call the cell phone place and tell them that you are sorry but you cannot start on monday because of a prior comittment and then tell them when YOU can start. If they don't except that, then you know that they will be very rigid and it will not be a good place to work.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"Life is too short to do a job all day that you hate. You will end up quiting"

Since, if you must do something all day, 5 days a week, you will start hating it, no matter what it is -- what you are saying is life is too short to be employed.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'm with those who say find out as much as you can about both. Even if soilman is right, there are jobs you can hate less, and some you might even find invigorating if you concentrate on having a good frame of mind.

If the cellphone place can't deal with you starting a day later, then I'd guess that they wouldn't give you important leeway on other things, too.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
A lot of the time you can say: "Great, thanks, but can I start Tuesday cause I had a prior appointment and it's impossible to reschedule..."

Go to the second. Liking what you do is WAYY better than dental benefits you'll lose anyway when you get sick of the job and quit.

BUT, then again, work is better than no work. And cell phones are more basic than you'd think.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I like the idea of calling the phone place back and asking to start a day later- "oh, I forgot about a _____ appointment that I just can't reschedule, is it ok if I start on Tuesday?"

being someone who has been miserably unemployed for seemingly endless periods of time, some kind of work is better than no work- but if you have the chance to do something you like, it would be ashame if you missed the interview opportunity.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Avalon

A lot of the time you can say: "Great, thanks, but can I start Tuesday cause I had a prior appointment and it's impossible to reschedule..."
Actualy, I disagree with this. It's pretty much an employer marketplace right now. They need someone to start on a certain day and by suggesting you cannot make it the very first day *might* imply, in my opinion, that you can't want the job too badly. You can bet someone else also interviewed is willing to come in that day.

Edited to add: Congrats on getting the job

PS: thanks VP for saying what should have been obvious to me.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol thanks

ok thing is the owner of the toy store isn't there mondays, i was told to call tuesday and set up an interview time. i don't know if the interview will be on tuesday, or what.

so i called my mom and the two of us came up with this plan lol...

i was told in the first interview that they combine the 2 15 minute breaks with the lunch break so that i'd get a full hour off for lunch, half paid half not. ok so i'll go monday, and tuesday i'll go out for lunch, to the sub place 2 doors down, there's a payphone there. i'll call during lunch to set up the interview, and try to get it for wednesday during my lunch, by then i should know if my lunch is the same time every day. and i'll let bosslady know that i have an "appointment" wednesday that i made sure to schedule during lunch, but i may or may not come back a few minutes late depending on how long it takes. she shouldn't have a problem with that i don't think.

then i'll beg my darling boyfriend to come get me and drive me to the other interview cause it'd be a half hour walk from there, and give me a ride back. if the interview lasts less than half an hour, which it probably will, it should all fit nicely and maybe still have time to eat after.

whew.

anyway, benefits are nice, i don't know if the toy store has benefits or not, but either way i think if they offer me the job i'll take it, i know i'd enjoy it more.

how do you tell a boss that you're leaving 3 days into the job? lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.