VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the lack of pictures, but I am seeking to ID the plethora of white crawly worms in my composter. What species are in your compost? Auxin may be able to help me here...
;)

Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They more resemble maggots than worms, I never see too many flies. They become blackened in their later stage of life, with their outer flesh resembling plated armor. I will post a picture when I am able to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
They sound like mealworms. Mealworms turn black in their final molting stage before they turn into beetles.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
If their skin turns into a sort of plated armor, I also vote for some sort of beetle or fly larva- I can't think of any worms offhand that fit that description.

I was just talking to someone in my community garden last weekend about worms in compost, actually. There are the earthworms living naturally in most soil, and if you put your compost pile directly on the ground, they'll probably make their way into it on their own (unless the compost pile is too hot for them- then they'll hold off). But my friend was talking about using red wigglers, a somewhat different kind of worm. They're better at ingesting larger pieces of plant matter, and are better at quickly breaking the stuff down into what plants can use.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These critters showed up all on their own, elevated from the ground in a 50 gallon revolving drum. Mealworms sound like the best possibility, but I'm still not sure. These guys work super hard, and probably number in the thousands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts