VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I move in 4 weeks and get settled in FL told hubby I want to have a little garden (he is agreeing to pretty much anything right now as he knows I am sad to be moving, he is just happy to have his family back together after being apart so long). Been thinking about what dimensions to have and was curious what you all have for a garden size and what size your yard is in total.

Our new home is on 1.6 acres and I was thinking of starting out small, maybe a 20' x 20' garden with the ability to expand...? I have never seen the new house and yard in person, only photos. It will need to be bunny proofed (some sort of fence) as he says there are 2 bunnies that enjoy wandering in the yard.

Thanks!

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
1.6 acres sounds exciting. I would love to have that much space so I could do fruit trees.

I have a garden at my parent's place because I live in a loft. I do raised bed square foot gardening and have got 2 4'x4'x1' beds and 4 2'x4'x1' beds. Then there is another area that is about 6'x18' where I plant directly in the ground. That space is an ongoing battle with weeds and to keep the soil friable. The soil is like clay so it gets compacted easily, especially when I walk around on it. I love the raised beds though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, seems like I might be a little ambitious with a 20x20, might want to start a lot smaller (don't want to waste anything). It is the two of us and 4 furkid woofers but the kids enjoy some greens from time to time (Max loves spinach and they all love carrots).

Thinking raised using those concrete wall building stones (instead of wood, it might rot pretty quick in the FL humidity) as from what I can see in the photos hubby has sent me the ground looks really beachy sandy and might have to bring in some loam, will know more once I get there. I haven't had any luck growing anything here in AZ except cactus and I do have orange, lemon and grapefruit trees. The ground here is really hard, kind of like a reddish caliche. If you want to plant anything you need to wet the area (alot) and then you can dig a hole.

Looking forward to the larger yard, Max and Lily are already with hubby (he picked them up at the end of May and I will be traveling with Aja and Sedona), he said they love the larger yard, Lily esp. runs around like crazy. We plan on fencing the entire yard at some point, right now only part of the back is fenced in.

Would love to see photos of your gardens if you have any...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a pretty large area at the back but only a small part of it is actual garden where we have some veggies and herbs growing. Reading this thread made me miss it actually as I'm away from home a lot and haven't seen it in a while.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Hmmm, seems like I might be a little ambitious with a 20x20, might want to start a lot smaller (don't want to waste anything).

Would love to see photos of your gardens if you have any...
If you don't get around to eating it you could always preserve it, compost it, or give some to the neighbors.

I have photos of part of my garden. Go into my profile and look at the photo album called Mojos Garden Photos. Those are from earlier this year. I pack a lot into a small space.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great photos Mojo! Like the concept of square foot gardening, looks easier to control...?

RabbitLuvr-Thankfully my hubby is a "garbage gut" (that's what he calls himself) and will eat pretty much anything put in front of him. I know the past 18 months he's been eating pretty poorly so think he is looking forward to something we can grow together and also to get him to have better eating habits. He's an omni but will eat whatever veg*n food I make, he even enjoys creating different recipes from my cookbooks; I have a tendency of making the same few things I know I can't screw up. I do know one veggie he doesn't like... Collard greens... So I may not grow those, well maybe one small batch...

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
We have about 1/4 acre, and the garden is 25'X25', then we have assorted berry bushes around the perimeter of the yard.

This picture was taken through the guestroom window last month sometime - it's terrible quality and everything is much bigger and greener now, but it gives you an idea of the space and layout. Just ignore the big basketball hoop post in the middle... long story... It's completely fenced in with chicken wire 1 ft underground and 3 ft above ground to keep the bunnies out. We have a big bunny problem!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

We have about 1/4 acre, and the garden is 25'X25', then we have assorted berry bushes around the perimeter of the yard.

This picture was taken through the guestroom window last month sometime - it's terrible quality and everything is much bigger and greener now, but it gives you an idea of the space and layout. Just ignore the big basketball hoop post in the middle... long story... It's completely fenced in with chicken wire 1 ft underground and 3 ft above ground to keep the bunnies out. We have a big bunny problem!!
Looks great! 25x25 doesn't look too big but think I better start small and work my way up....

I am afraid to try preserving, composting is definitely an option and hubby did meet the woman who lives next door (she's 77), maybe she would want fresh veggies. He hasn't met anyone across the street yet and there is nobody next door on the other side, big empty space.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:

I am afraid to try preserving, composting is definitely an option and hubby did meet the woman who lives next door (she's 77), maybe she would want fresh veggies. He hasn't met anyone across the street yet and there is nobody next door on the other side, big empty space.
It doesn't necessarily have to be canning. That intimidates me too. Dehydrating or freezing are also options. When I have an excess of tomatoes I cook them into soup or sauce then freeze them in ziploc bags.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:

Freezing, duh! I am dead from the neck up sometimes... I've been thinking about buying a dehydrator....
I bought one last year. A lot of fun, especially if you have a lot of something. I love to do kale. Fruit roll ups are good too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have started canning. I find simple things like chutneys are fantastically easy..... you almost can't go wrong and almost any fruit/veggie can be chutnied somehow. The only problem I have is the runnyness varies a lot. But the taste is still great and I am getting much better with experience at controlling the runnyness!!!

Jealous of all your gardens. I have to wait until December/Januaray (which is middle of summer) before I can rent a house with a garden. Its on my essentials list for the new house!!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
ours is i think about 13x13 and we don't end up with too much. you have to remember that depending on what you plant you need space between plants.. one of our tomato plants last year grew so big it was about 4 feet around and 7 feet high, it would have been bigger but we had to constantly trim it back so it wouldn't choke out our other plants.. cucumbers need lots of space (although we discovered last year you can stake them so they grow upwards instead of crawling across the ground, takes less space and you don't have to turn the cukes every day. we still give them lots of room though)

in 13x13 we have i think 4 or 5 tomato plants, 3 cucumber, 1 zucchini, 4 cauliflower, 4 bell pepper, 2 hot pepper, a row of beans and a row of onions. we ran out of space so we also have some containers of beans and radishes and a couple more tomato and pepper plants in one of the flower gardens lol. (we go through a lot of tomatoes in this house haha)
last year was about the same except we had celery instead of cauliflower and no zucchini or hot peppers.

also keep in mind that some things should be planted at different times and some things can be done in several batches so you have some to harvest all season (like radishes) so you want to have some extra space to play with. 20x20 is fairly big but probably not as big as you think if you want a nice variety of stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 10 Foot by 20 Foot garden at my college, that my club manages and takes care of.

We grow squash, tomatos, bell peppers, and several other things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One is 18x67 and the other is 30x60. I grow at my house and I did one at my grandparents. They have really bad crab grass and its a drive to get there. I think I will stick to my yard next year besides I am really busy anyway. I am starting to have rabbit problems this is my third year growing and my garden has more than trippled its size. I think it is good where its at though, no bigger next year. Quality better than quantity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:

Freezing, duh! I am dead from the neck up sometimes... I've been thinking about buying a dehydrator....
I've been looking at getting a Nesco. Friend of mine has one. Home make fruit roll-ups lol awesome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts