VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 2nd birthday is in a week and I have a dilemma.It will be mostly relatives with a few of my friends.Last year we had a cookout.I bought veggie burgers for me and my son but I also bought real hamburgers and hotdogs for everyone else.Scince then my son and I have become vegan and I am much more aware of and dissgusted with the meat and dairy industries and I don't want to support them at all.So this year we are having another cookout and I want to buy all vegan stuff but I am worried about the reaction of the relatives,most of whom are my son's dad's side of the family,who I've only met a few times.I know they are probably expecting it to be like last year and I don't know them really well so I don't want to be"weird".But I also don't want to do something I don't think is right.I think I already know the answer but should I serve meat or dairy foods at the party,just so they'll be happy?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Send invitations. Note on the invitations that this will be a strict vegetarian (i.e. vegan) celebration. Add that you hope all are open-minded and willing to try this way of eating that you and your son enjoy but if not could they please eat before coming or what ever way you choose to bridge the gap.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'd stay away from a cook out altogether. Do something picnic style with pasta salads, veggie trays, maybe a green salad or little sandwiches, fruit platter, hummus and chips and dips, etc. I think with a cookout people will expect meat but with a picnic setting they won't as much. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I agree with pickletatertot. Serve the yummiest "normal" vegan food possible -- stuff the omnis will recognize.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Make it a buffet, with chips, dips and stuff like that. (All the finger foods) You could make a vegan cake and the such. That should be good. They probably won't notice that it's all vegan.

·
Registered
0 Posts
you know the funniest thing about this post? it's that alot of people who host BBQ's and the like don't really get into this much of a tizzy to make sure their veg guests are going to be fed well.

I have been to many BBQ's that were veg friendly, and I have been to a few that were not, and I felt like an idiot when people aske me "did you eat before you came here?" or "a skinny little thing like you doesn't eat anyway..." when they don't see me scarfing down a plate of flesh.

I think everyone's advice is good. People have different lifestyles and beliefs that come out into the open when it's time to break bread. Those beliefs should be respected.

Of course, there may be people that show up with meat and dairy stuff. You may have to bite your tounge, and accept it. Or do what you think is right. It is your home and your child's birthday. It's a special day. I can't imagine celebrating a life while eating flesh tho....

perhaps comfort food is the answer??? if people can't have meat they'll love comfort food, and there are TONS of veg recipes for that type of stuff!

good luck. I hope it's a wonderful day for all.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Everyone like sweet corn cooked outdoors on a charcoal

gril. Potatos too. Plus barbecues are cues for (veganize the recipe without making a big deal about that being what you did) potato salad and coleslaw.

Then get some hot dog buns and hamburger buns and veggie dogs and veggie burgers.

Tho personally, if I were having a party, I wouldn't invite non-veg'ns to it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hehehe. I got into a but of a tif recently at a company BBQ. The host was kind enough to make sure there were veggie burgers and hotdogs there. The bookkeeper, however rolled her eyes and laughed when I chose to microwave my burger after noticing that no space had been left uncontaminated for my veggie burger. I wasn't rude when I asked, and I didn't get upset, she just looked around and rolled her eyes and smirked. So, I said, "Does it bother you that I'd rather microwave my burger or something?"- to which she replied (feigning surprise), "HUH? What are you talking about?!"- HAHA!

I have had vegan get togethers where I served: 4 different types of handmade tamales, black beans, rice. My friend and I spent the entire day cooking them. They were premade and not obviously vegan, so no one commented, except to say- "these are fabulous, can I have a recipe?"

Others I have had hummus, bean dip, chips, pitas, olives, veggies, etc (finger foods). Recently (courtesy of my vegan friendly but meat munching mom) a mexican feast with 4 different kinds of veggie enchiladas.

So, choose a theme and go with it. The BBQ is a hard one. If anyone is not veg friendly, you will inevitably have to put up with stupid, rude (however innocent) remarks. Oh, and the stench (if you decide to allow meat).

I'm not sure I would bother telling them it is vegetarian, though. They know you are a vegetarian- and they should respect that, as they would a non-smoking house, or a house where you must remove your shoes. It is a matter of good manners and common courtesy (on their part-)

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
The question (if I'm reading right) is "should you serve meat and dairy just to make the hub's fam happy at son's birthday party?" My answer is a large NO! This is your son's day, not theirs and since your son is vegan, he should be allowed to have all the wonderful vegan stuff that one can provide. If the fam freaks out at it, gently remind him that this is what he wants and this is what he shall have, regardless of what other's think.

I agree with having a picnic party and not a BBQ one. You can still grill at a picnic, but it's less likely that someone will bring flesh to the fest if they know that it's a picnic instead of a BBQ (BBQ tends to open it up to "bring what you want" which can lead to problems). If they insist on bringing things (as some tend to do) then have them bring plates, cups, napkins, utensils, maybe some cola or ice. Anything non-food. Just be sure to tell them that everything else will be provided. Just like others have said, if you keep it low-key about the vegan and serve things that are "omni-friendly" but yet vegan, chances are that no one but you will ever know.

Happiest of birthdays to your precious one and good luck to you. Hope it's a success!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Since you're throwing the party, just serve whatever food you want to. It's not like you'll only be serving tofu and bean sprouts, there's plenty of yummy vegan food out there even an omni can enjoy! And if they want to make a fuss, SHAME on them!!! This is a two year olds birthday party!! They're supposed to be celebrating THAT. Not just stuffing their faces.

Good luck, and happy b-day to your boy!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
yeah, I wouldn't even break out the veggie burgers becuase then the omnis would start looking for their burgers. Watermelon, corn on the cob, veggie trays, baked potatoes, potato salad, cookies, pasta salad, etc... mmmmm

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the ideas!I decided not to do the cookout because that does bring meat to the mind(and buying 40 veggie burgers would be expensive and they probably wouldn't get eaten anyway).I like the idea of a picnic.I could just make a lot of different things that aren't obviously vegan but that they will still enjoy,like friut salad,guac.,salsa,pasta salad.I feel good about this decision and I am sure everyone will like the food.If not,more for me and my son!Now I need to pull out the cookbooks and look for the best recipes I can find!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts