VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My memory is so bad I have forgotten my own age. I have no idea what happened to me yestaday. I can't remember any of my childhood. I Can't remember where my friends live sometimes even though I go there at least once or twice every few months.

I've spoken to a few doctors about it but none of them seem to take me seriously. One doctor tested me by asking me a few questions which I did ok at I suppose but i still feel that there must be something wrong if I can't even remember how old I am or what the names of my cousins are, where people live even tho I go there on a regular basis. Even how I get to work I just have no freaking idea its like I just appear at work and reappear at other locations I remember nothing its really disturbing.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
You seem to remember how to type.

BTW, "ly" isn't required after "epic." It should just be, my epic poor memory. Try to remember this.

Do you know the year of your birth? We may be able to determine your age this way.

Can you remember when you first started being forgetful?

What were we talking about?

Seriously, that is bizarre. I wouldn't necessarily assume it's a bad thing, tho. It may be your mind is clearing itself in preparation of having a new, original thought, something never imagined by mankind before.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

I even forgot to ask what I should do about it
If anyone told you waht to do to improve your memory are you sure you wouldn't forget?

More seriously, and in case its any comfort.

Your memory sounds just as good as mine.

I actualy get lost sometimes driving home from work and its only a 5 minute drive!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Seriously, that is bizarre. I wouldn't necessarily assume it's a bad thing, tho. It may be your mind is clearing itself in preparation of having a new, original thought, something never imagined by mankind before.
Oh, yes!

Errr ... that happens to me ALL the time.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If I were you, I'd keep pestering those doctors about this, because that isn't supposed to be how memory works when nothing is wrong with it. Keep trying until you find a good doctor who does want to help you.

I find it quite disturbing that some doctors don't take these kinds of symptoms seriously, very bad

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Kindred, is this accurate, not exaggerated? If so, I would go see a neurologist as soon as possible. Are you on any meds? How old are you? Any neuro, cardiac, or other pertinent history? Do you eat enough? Have you had an MRI or CT scan?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it is not exaggerated. I am not taking any medication. I forgot to mention I have sleep apnea and im tired all the time. I have read that it can have an impact on memory.

I have never had an MRI or CT scan. The doctors I spoke to didn't seem to think I needed anything like that.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
My first thought reading your first post was early onset Alzheimer's disease or a similar type of dementia. I don't know your age, but this often occurs in middle age. If you're not there yet, I'm not sure. But with sleep apnea, there is definitely something serious going on. You should definitely see a neurologist. If the first one shrugs you off, see another one.

Do you live near a major university, preferably one with a medical college? You might go there and see if they'll help you figure things out.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

No it is not exaggerated. I am not taking any medication. I forgot to mention I have sleep apnea and im tired all the time. I have read that it can have an impact on memory.

I have never had an MRI or CT scan. The doctors I spoke to didn't seem to think I needed anything like that.
You need to go back and insist on seeing a neurologist and possibly a psychiatrist. You have to be your own advocate when seeing a doctor (sadly). Forgetting how old you are is one thing but not being able to remember how you got somewhere is scary.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I'm not much better, if I'm really sleep deprived. I have 2 non-blood relatives who suffer from sleep apnea and they use some type of breathing machine, when they sleep. Has anything been done about your sleep apnea?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:

I've spoken to a few doctors about it but none of them seem to take me seriously.
ask for a referral to a neurologist. lay it on thick, lie if you have to, tell your g.p. that its causing you issues at work or something and youre worried you might lose your job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts