VeggieBoards banner

What operating system(s) do you have on your computer?

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard
This is my second macbook pro. I've had three (maybe four) PC laptops in the past and I really didn't like them, and most got really sluggish.

I just "retired" my 5 year old macbook for this one, but my old one still works fine, I just couldn't use software I needed for my job and it only could allow so much RAM and I needed more.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just got a new Macbook Pro with OS X Lion.

I like:
Core i7 processor powering through photoshop tasks.
Space - I went for a spinning 500GB HD rather than SSD
Build materials
screen brightness
keyboard
gestures in Lion

I dislike:
Lack of USB ports
resolution on 13"
Have to buy another iCable for my monitor
Another Macbook Pro will no doubt arrive next month.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My netbook has Windows 7. Sooo much better than Vista.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
What do you mean?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Not really, no. Keep in mind a netbook only has maybe half or 1/3 of what a regular computer has. I can't change my background (that's kind of annoying actually), and don't have all the freedom that I could do on a regular computer. The only thing that takes forever to open is Word. Haven't figured out why.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yeah, it seems like they bundle a special starter distro of Win7. Word is separate to the OS and most likely the full fledged desktop version - which is why you're experiencing startup slowdown. I'd recommend a linux-type: you'll get a speed boost, all customisability you want and battery life increase. If you need windows, I used netbooks with XP on them with much preferable results than Win7 for ram usage in particular.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have no clue what that means. o_O I mainly use this for schoolwork, and taking it to school, hence the netbook and not a regular laptop. Oh yeah, surfing internet too.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
My husband bought a netbook last year with the starter edition of Windows 7. I like Win7 but the starter edition is crap, so he wiped the drive and installed Linux on it. Runs way faster now.

I'm still rocking a dual boot on mine and I only boot up Windows 7 when I want to game.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't know Singularity was released, I want to check that out.

I have Debian, Ubuntu (drivers issue, or else I'd stick with Debian), Windows 7 and Windows XP. Debian is my favourite, but I don't mind Windows.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ubuntu (linux) on my desktop but I have a netbook with xp on. I kept xp on the netbook because it means I can run things that don't run or I havem't found a good subsitute for in linux on it. I haven't found a email program I really gone on with on ubuntu and I also use microsoft publisher quite often but found though it works some of the features I need don't.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLaika View Post

Have you used thunderbird - I've heard good things.
I use it too, at work. I like it, it's decent. The MS Exchange server plugin seems slightly buggy tho. (But I can't use the latest version, as we're stuck with RHEL5 for the moment.) Still, it's better than the MS Exchange server support for Evolution, which was mega-buggy.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Most of the time i use linux ( my favorites are archlinux for rolling release and debian for stability, both for the minimal installation ). I love linux because it is pure, i mean there is no thousands of small useless crap slowing my computer down, not even speaking about the stability, security ( a virus ? what's a virus ? ), and the speed difference. I tend to use them with openbox, tint2, conky, irssi, rtorrent, iceweasel, icedove+enigmail.

I also like openbsd, but i requires more time than i have.

Unfortunately i am forced to use windows 7 ultimate since i use some very specific software like avid.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

Not really, no. Keep in mind a netbook only has maybe half or 1/3 of what a regular computer has. I can't change my background (that's kind of annoying actually), and don't have all the freedom that I could do on a regular computer. The only thing that takes forever to open is Word. Haven't figured out why.
In terms of keyboard real estate, netbooks have about 2/3 to 3/4 of what a regular computer has, not 1/2 to 1/3. Nevertheless, the size of the keyboard shouldn't bog the computer down, shouldn't affect how fast the operating system loads or how fast programs load, or data loads, or is saved.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts