VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a HUGEEEEEEEEEE candy lover, but I just found out most of the candies I eat have gelatin in them. I'm a lacto ovo vegetarian. I eat dairy products. Would I be able to eat gummy candies or do I have to get special candy? This is my first day of restarting being a vegetarian. I lasted a month last time.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It varies candy to candy and you would have to read the ingredients on each one. I love skittles and they are vegan
If they're the 5cent candies in the bins, I wouldn't trust them...avoid anything out of a package just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Hi there, welcome to Veggieboards!

A lot of candies do have gelatin in them but there are gummy candies that don't, the easiest thing to do is get used to scanning the ingredients lists on your favourite treats at the store. Some of them might surprise you!

Here's a big list of animal friendly candy and snacks, as well as a list of ingredients to avoid:

http://www.petakids.com/candy.asp

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Maynard's Sour Patch Kids and Fuzzy Peaches. And I've tried gelatin-free gummi bears I found at a specialty store that were pretty awesome too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Candies can be a problem. But there are plenty of brands around offering all kinds of "gummy candies" with no animal gelantine in them. Most often they advertise that on the packaging as well. Just have a closer look the next time you are in a store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts