VeggieBoards banner

What non-dairy milk should I try?

1K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  SwissMiss 
#1 ·
I'm not Vegan but I am a vegetarian who doesn't drink dairy, mainly because I'm lactose intolerant and because how cows and other animals in the dairy industry are treated. I'm in LOVE with Almond Breeze Almond milk but I would love to try something different. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some brands that are worth trying out and purchasing, and not so expensive. Thanks in advance! I am planning on going Vegan soon too btw, by the end of the school year.

#2 ·
Living Harvest or Pacific Natural Foods Hemp Milk is good. Tastes nutty. And a bit like marijuana smells.

Almond milk is my favorite, however. I drink the Silk brand.

Walnut milk is good, but hard to find. I don't know of any companies that make it.

I'm pretty ambivalent when it comes to rice milk. Bleh. Not my thing.

Same goes for soy milk. Don't like the beany after taste.

#3 ·
For me, it depends whats it going to be used in.

plain, i'd go with chocolate soy or plain almond

cereals like honey bunches of oats or grape nuts: vanilla or plain almond

super sweet cereals: plain soy

if you have a different application, tell me and i'll be glad to give my opinion ;D

#4 ·
I like unsweetened soy milk, for drinking, with cereal, and for cooking/baking. Almond milk is tasty, but I like soymilk better because it's closer nutritionally to dairy (especially if fortified). I used to drink a lot of dairy milk, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving gaps in protein, calcium, and B-vitamins when I stopped eating dairy.

I haven't really run into a vegan milk that was downright bad, but most of them are very sugary - like drinking melted ice cream. That can be good sometimes, but generally I'd prefer to save those empty calories for dessert.

#5 ·
Agreed with bellbell that it depends on what you're using it for. I think it may depend on what sort of dairy milk you're accustomed to as well. I like rice milk to drink plain, but I was a skim milk drinker, so I like the "thinness" of the rice milk. It doesn't work very well at all though for sauces, puddings, etc. and so I use soya (or occasionally almond) milk there. Vanilla soya milk in cereal is nice. My other half likes oat milk, to an insane degree
. but I think it tastes slightly like dirt.

Chocolate almond milk = heaven on Earth.

Runnerveggie - only the ones with added sugars should taste sugary.

#6 ·
Try all of them! Go to your local supermarket/health food shop to scope out what's in your price-range (hemp milk, at like 4 pound a carton, is deffinatly not in mine!). Maybe buy little cartons (if they have them) of whatever is within your price-range and give them all a go, because it just depends on your taste buds!

I LOVE rice milk, especially on cereal - but otherpeople prefer soy, almond, or oat. I must say soya milk is the milk of choice for baking, it produces far superior results, but I think it tastes ghastly myself! I don't like vanilla-flavoured milks but others adore them. So yeah I'd say give a range a go and find which you like best
In my oppinion it's not like some products, where some are better than others, it's just a matter of personal preference.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmercado.1994 View Post

What non-dairy milk should I try?
All of them that you can gets your hands on. Seriously, try them all and pick out your favorite. I started on vanilla soymilk, then regular soymilk, then unsweetened soymilk.

I think hemp milk tastes like... like... words I can't use on this board. I think its awful!!! But, I know people who love it.
My Mom loves almond milk, but I find it to be too watery.
My ex-boyfriend like rice milk and coconut milk the best. I like rice milk, but its not cost effective for me, and I think coconut milk is too bland in flavor.

As time goes by, try all the different kinds you can buy in the store. You'll eventually have a favorite, and you'll find that certain varieties work better for different applications.

Also, Nesquik powdered chocolate drink mix is vegan, and mixes well with various "milks."

#16 ·
Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is definitely my favorite for taste alone. However, I prefer the nutritional profile of soymilk (more protein) so that's what I drink most of the time. I usually drink Silk vanilla, occasionally chocolate, and of course I keep plain around for cooking savory things.

#19 ·
Don't be afraid to try making nutmilks. There are advantages to buying a carton but disadvantages too. Same is true of homemade of course. Easy if you have a blender and opens up worlds of possibilities. Drinking I use the same stuff as the OP, but most baking or cooking (that calls for a milk) I use Better Than Milk powdered soymilk or blend up something fresh. For nondairy ice cream I like making cashew milk (usually called cashew cream because it's pretty rich). I'm planning a walnut milk gravy and currently have Brazil nuts soaking to make some vanilla Brazil nutmilk ice cream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.