VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...mothers day. Dont tell me you all forgot???

How was yours? Good, bad, indifferent, sad?

For me today was huge in a way that everyone else would think was very small probably. But I am so excited I want to shout it from the rooftops.

My son buried in ten years of depression and agrophia and adverse to my best efforts to motivate and move him through but rather open hostile or indifferent...

today handed me a card in which he had written ' to my great mum , thank you for

trying to do what you know is best for me'.

He also cried and gave me his first voluntary cuddle for as long as I can remember. I cried too as did his sister.

Like I say not earth shattering stuff to the rest of the world but in our little world HUGE

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Well since it's only Mother's Day in the UK and not in North America (and my British husband lives in Canada with me), we almost forgot until yesterday. I only remembered because someone mentioned it online (probably FB). We sent my mother in law an Amazon e-gift card and a nice Ecard with a nice message inside.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
You scared me to death! Pheew!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I'm in the US, so I have a few months to celebrate with my mom.

But... That is really awesome HH!! Glad you had a wonderful day!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
It's not for another two months here either. My mum died about six months ago so it's going to be a ****ed-up day for me. I will probably just shut my eyes and ears to it when it comes around.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

It's not for another two months here either. My mum died about six months ago so it's going to be a ****ed-up day for me. I will probably just shut my eyes and ears to it when it comes around.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

so sorry to hear that Nishani ...wish I hadnt brought it up now

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Mother's Day was pretty damn crap for my family (for reasons I cannot go into on here). But on the plus side all the Mother's Days flowers in the supermarkets are half price now which meant I could afford to buy Mum flowers and I got an unexpected day off today so I did some baking and then I did a proper meal for tea and it cheered her up a bit...

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annia View Post

Mother's Day was pretty damn crap for my family (for reasons I cannot go into on here). But on the plus side all the Mother's Days flowers in the supermarkets are half price now which meant I could afford to buy Mum flowers and I got an unexpected day off today so I did some baking and then I did a proper meal for tea and it cheered her up a bit...
Sorry the day itself was crap, but way to go for making today a good one for your mom!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

What does British Mother's Day entail? How do you usually celebrate?
Usually it entails paying about three times the price for any meal or entertainment everywhere dormouse! Even take away places up their prices,

Most people make a big effort to actually spend the day with their mothers travelling many miles to do so and dragging everyone from crying babes to sulky teenagers over to grandmothers. Usually it involves a special meal either at home with someone else cooking to give mum a treat or a family outing to dine at a restuarant. All the eateries are full to bursting with families and all the parks and attractions are crowded too.

Or... they do what we chose to do and make up a picnic and head off to less popular areas to escape the din and spend some quality time as a family parked up by a river with two excited dogs in tow.

people also buy their mothers gifts and/or a card and maybe chocolate or perfume but mostly flowers. Always flowers you cant move for them in every shop you pass.

I think that in the same way valentines day is only great if you have a lover to celebrate with..mothers day can be dreadful if you are estranged from your mother or she has passed away. There is no escaping happy ,smily mummies everywhere. The first couple of years after I lost my mum I wanted to hide under the quilt and make it all go away!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annia View Post

I am sorry your day was crap Annia..but at least you didnt get ripped off for flowers like I did!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts