VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what meat alternatives there are in australia and new zealand?

there are "meat" slices there? like yves in us and canada or redwood in the uk?

now that i'm loking at redwood i see that some of the products available in Australia.

why not all of them? they are available in health food stores only?

why does the yves products are not sold in there?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I was wondering that too. I'm moving to New Zealand and my fiancé who lives there hasn't been a vegetarian for long... Plus these kinds of meat subs still freak him out, so he couldn't tell me when I asked. What are the best brands of meat subs there?

·
Banned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it seems that yves products are much more meat like than Sanitarium.

do you think that it is possible to ship that kind of products from yves in canada to Australia or it will be a real problem because of the date limit on the products?

can you explain why there products are seems to be by the website less 'meaty' than yves for example? is that because of what people demand or because they don't know how to make even more meat like foods? or other reason?

these products are hard to find? or widely available in there?

does anyone tasted couple of brands "meat" slices and can tell if there is much differences between yves and Sanitarium? or redwood?

what other brands there are except yves, Sanitarium and redwood?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Zoglos is another brand. Easy to find in the supermarket. At this stage there isnt as much choice of brands and products for vegetarians as there is in other parts of the world because we dont currently have the population to support it.

·
Banned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

Zoglos is another brand. Easy to find in the supermarket. At this stage there isnt as much choice of brands and products for vegetarians as there is in other parts of the world because we dont currently have the population to support it.
thanks

these are the same like soglowek that sold in israel. (by the very big meat pruducer in israel (soglowek. "zoglovek" in hebrew )) http://www.zoglos.com/products/vegan...efault.asp?s=1

it's hard to find here lately and not tasty to me.

as far as know there wasn't any information from zoglowek for why many are missing so many times. lately i cant find it anywhere.

first that i've looked at the website i thought that it's design pretty bad.

Quote:
Zoglo's Meatless Cuisine is now a world leader in the meatless foods market, exporting high quality products to 5 continents. Zoglo's products combine taste, technology and the highest levels of research and development.
http://www.zoglos.com/about%20zoglos...efault.asp?s=1

that might be so untrue.

anyway, i don't know if these kind of "israeli" foods will go well in other countries.

they are also mention this:
Quote:
Are Zoglo's products Parve (dairy-free) and do they contain any animal by-products?

Most Zoglo's products are both Parve and do not contain any animal by-products, with the following exceptions:
but in israel almost all of their vegetarian "meats" had egg except some of the "schnitzels".

anyway its very impressing to see thier products sold in other countries. almost all of them not available in isarael.

interesting...

·
Banned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigercubs View Post

Sanitarium and Zoglo's are about it. Eatwell make some veggie burgers and stuff : http://www.australianeatwell.com.au/ You can find some of their stuff at Coles and at Woolies. Otherwise it's pretty much Tofu and Tempeh. The Zoglo's and Sanitarium aren't Vegan either as they contain eggwhites
ok thanks,

so again, one of my questions is:

why does the yves products are not sold in there?

·
Registered
64 Posts
yves aren't sold in aus/ nz because they don't ship well (have to be refrigerated and usually have a shelf life of less than the 3 months it takes to ship by sea), and there isn't enough of a market for them to produce it over here.

your best bet for fake meats actually will be found at the small asian/ import shops where they'll usually have a selection of fake meats from malaysia, most of which are at least ok. I don't think they're al vegan tho.

j.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I get most of my "fake meats" from Asian supermarkets. If you are ever in Sydney try the Thai Kee supermarket in Chinatown, in the mall above Paddy's Markets. They have the largest range of the stuff I've ever seen. Two cabinets worth of frozen choices and shelves full of dried and tinned ones, too. From the normal (chicken nuggets) the unusual (vegan shark fin anyone? Or maybe vegan eel?), the scarily realistic (vege prawns that look like the real thing) to the truly bizarre (BBQ flavour vegan entrails).

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
lots of brands! the ones mentioned above as well as (well, in melbourne at least) a LOT of places that home make and sell them in bulk. around trainstations etc.

it seems to be the new trendy thing. lots of vegan supermarkets and the like.

xoxo

·
Banned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjayn View Post

yves aren't sold in aus/ nz because they don't ship well (have to be refrigerated and usually have a shelf life of less than the 3 months it takes to ship by sea), and there isn't enough of a market for them to produce it over here.

your best bet for fake meats actually will be found at the small asian/ import shops where they'll usually have a selection of fake meats from malaysia, most of which are at least ok. I don't think they're al vegan tho.

j.
ok thanks, i was really looked for that information about how much the yves refrigerated food keeps.

but how it is possible to ship redwood (uk)? they also has sliced "meats". as i understand they aren't marketing in australia now but they have some kind of australian website link on their website.

why they have it if it isn't soold there?

the thing is that as i understand, yves products are much much much better than what sold in australia.

i thinking to myself how it is possible that some more meaty and easy to make foods are not sold in australia.

the foods i saw in the mentioned companies websites that marketed in australia seems to me to be pretty bad.

does anyone know if the redwoods foods will be marketed in australia soon? how they gonna keep it fresh in such long shipping?

·
Banned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I get most of my "fake meats" from Asian supermarkets. If you are ever in Sydney try the Thai Kee supermarket in Chinatown, in the mall above Paddy's Markets. They have the largest range of the stuff I've ever seen. Two cabinets worth of frozen choices and shelves full of dried and tinned ones, too. From the normal (chicken nuggets) the unusual (vegan shark fin anyone? Or maybe vegan eel?), the scarily realistic (vege prawns that look like the real thing) to the truly bizarre (BBQ flavour vegan entrails).
i was wanted to detail more but it's somewhat hard to me to write english.

i didn't knew there is such wide variety of that kind of foods you mentioned.

anyone knows where can i find more information about what these thai meal foods contains? what sauces they having? do you know about any website of that kind of companies? why actually there is so wide selection of that kind of thai fake meats? meaning what make thai people to choose it and not to choose meats many times?

i think that more quality foods like yves will be very important in australia and will give australian and their visitors much more tasty vegan foods to eat which some of them really easy to make like the "meat" slices are not need warming as well and can be used as really nice snack as well which is very rich in protein .

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I can look at the brand names and give you that information on Saturday, Nagemurut. I do not have any in the freezer, but when I go to the supermarket I will take down details for you.

"Thai Kee" is not a Thai supermarket, it is Chinese. "Thai Kee" is a Chinese trading company and is based over there. I do not know what the English translation would be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts