VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . .do you think would be worth purchasing?

My options, at the moment, are one of those "stair-steppers" (they're supposed to mimic the same motions your feet must take in order to climb up stairs), a stationary bike, or a weight machine (not a "bowflex"... but one of those that allows you to add actual weights to the back of it).

A bit of information about me: I own a treadmill. The neighborhood I live in isn't the safest, so I can't go out and walk/jog/run by myself. For about a year now, I've been using said treadmill to build up my leg muscles. . .and it has worked. I'm very happy about that. Now, however, I'd like to focus on other muscles. . .

What do you think would be best? I've been leaning heavily towards the weight machine, but I'm thinking there are people here who know more about fitness than I. Is there anything else anyone would like to add to this? I'm very open to building up other muscles (like stomach muscles, for example. . .although I couldn't do that through actual sit-ups. . . lower back problem that runs in the family. . .not sure if I could get rid of it =\\)

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies (or, I guess, anyone who looks, for that matter!).

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I live on my treadmill. I do 30+ miles a week. I dont run outside much cause Im afraid of knee injurys. Karate guy's need good knees! I have one of those Total Body Machines by Jake..its under 200 dollars. Its a very cheap version of what I really want..Bow Flex..maybe someday. But I guess I would go with the weight machine. That way your able to do the upper body stuff that the step master wont do for you. BTW Im looking to maybe buy a mountain bike...anybody got info on what to look for?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The bowflex is a really nice machine, but really expensive. I have one at my house (its my mom's machine...me and my brother got it for her for her birthday, but we still use it..hehe) it is a very nice total body workout machine and really easy to operate..we got ours for $600 because my brother got a deal from one of his friends who bought it then never used it (rich people..sheesh...lol) but the normal price is 1500-2000 depending on which one you get and what you get on it. So if you don't have that kind of money, or if you don't have enough space, becasue they arn't exacly small, then I suggest going with Budda's option, because I know that I would never be able to afford one of those by myself, especially at the regular price.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I love my stationary bike.
I use it all the time. But, since you already own a tredmill for cardio, the weight machine may be the way to go. That way you can get some varation in your workouts.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would vote for the weight machine. Sounds like you are already getting a cardio workout from the treadmill. Weights would be a good addition to your workout.

(Of course it would be nice if you could get the bike too. It's a good idea to change your cardio routine every once in awhile. But I would go for the weights first)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My staple equipments are:

A decent jumping rope (Reebok)

A pair of boxing gloves

A sand bag

A huge plastic ball

A brown-belt Karate hubby

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well that's kind of reciprocal--- I have to sit on his shoulder when he does squats in the yard instead of the gym, crossing my fingers that his legs will not give. And I have to hold the shield when it's his turn punching, and that's pretty rough

·
Registered
452 Posts
I prefer the feel of dumbbells to most machine weights, but I guess it's personal preference. It just feels more macho. I'm not sure what the economic breakdown of a set of weights + a nice workout bench would be though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was leaning toward the weight machine. My staples are:

2 aerobic steps (different heights)

3 sets of dumbbells, ankle weights

resistance band

body bar

sticky mat

and many fitness videos/dvds

Let us know after you purchase how you like your choice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I love my treadmill, so that's my most important machine.

I see you are going with a weight machine, that's what I would have recommended next. I've just got a bench and weights, does the job. Pick up a big balance ball, they are really useful in strength training as they also pick up on muscles you normally don't work out.

You could also get a NordicTrack, I just got one for free at an exercise store for buying the treadmill. That's a total body, low impact workout. I like my NordicTrack because it also works out my arms, not just my legs like the other machines do.

It's good to throw in another cardio exercise once a week besides the treadmill so your muscles can get challenged by the difference in workout.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Aren't treadmills just as hard on your knees as running outdoors?

I'm wondering because I love to run, and my knees recently have started to ache...

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Well, I live on the highway, so there aren't any trails like, right there. I have to go to the elementary school or out to the woods, which are both fairly far away- car trips unless I have a lot of time. I want to train this summer and run cross country in the fall, which means I need to get my body in shape for 3 miles. I can already run it, but with difficulty....I'd better get serious! Hehee.

Thanks for the advice. This summer for sure I will get to the trails as much as possible.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do. I'll let everyone know how I like the machine, once I purchase it.

It may be a while, though.

It seems to me, that a weight machine would be easier on the joints than dumbells? Or is my thinking whacked? : )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts