• Internship

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellow fellow Veggie's

I'm having a terrible time finding work for the summer. I hope I don't have to give up soon since it is already the middle of June. I'm wondering... is the economy treating anyone else like a rotten old piece of meat too?

post your situation!

You can choose multiple-choices... fill in all that applies!!!

brake 4 squirrerls

·
Banned
559 Posts
i'm doing the internship thing. sadly i get no income. but ...but i'm okay with that (or making myself think i'm okay with that).

there is a chance they may pay me though and that would be dandy kick ass cool oh yeah.

at least i love the 'work' and i'm outside all day so it doenst really get better than that

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I chose not to work for a couple of years, so I could stay home and work on my writing and directing a few shorts.

Once reality crashed back in, I had to get a job, but it was really hard finding something appropriate that paid well. About three months after starting my search, I finally ended up with a part time job that pays poorly and has used my twice in the last three weeks. I've had better luck freelancing as a non-linear editor, which pays three times as much. I've been working a lot doing that, though not as much last week. I don't like the unpredictability of it, but I'm glad not to be back in an office or a bar.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
I hold a full-time job, but I have a couple of enterprises on the side. I'm trying to expand my financial planning business into a larger share of my income over the next 3 years. I have also recently explored some other opportunities, but nothing has really panned out. Probably going to wait for a stronger economy before I launch anything new.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I spend all of my time writing and programming for nothing... Of course I'm more than willing to get paid for it. Trying to find a way to get paid for it as an actual steady income, and actually have a profit without ripping off people.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I work for real estate development/sales/marketing firm. I've been there for 6 years - married to the job. I pretty much hate it because I hate urban sprawl, but it pays the bills and I've got tons of flexibility. So, I'm always looking for job, but pretty much too lazy to make the big change. There's always that law school application that's been in my bag for over a year that I can fill out.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
One of my answers was work at home...... I do database design/development/admin, and a major portion of that I do at home. I also do integrated development with Office applications (have Word, Excel, Access, Outlook etc. all work together) and write applications.

I'm a sick freak because I absolutely love doing DB work; it can cheer me up when I am feeling blue (yeah, I know..... disturbing). It's not even like work for me, just some hobby I love that I can get paid to do (and it's an art).

Funny thing is, about 4 years ago I loathed database work and never went near it. I can't believe what I was missing out on now.

I'm not sure I'll be studying full-time anymore after June, so I'll need to get more work and/or clients, or just become a full-time worker for some corporation (but I see some very attractive DB jobs advertised so I don't think that will be such a bad thing).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll answer my own question.

Yes well,... I came home for the summer thinking that maybe it'd be easy to just snatch up an easy job. I was aiming for a waitressing job at first. Yea right!! It's already the middle of june. I'm leaving again in August, which means I have to lie to employers, saying that "yea, I'll stick around in the fall." The problem I'm having is, is that most employers say they are done hiring, or they don't need any more help. Even the **** jobs are full.

So right now I've been calling assembly production companies... answering bank teller ads, data entry jobs, and caretaker ones.

I need to gain experience in something related to psychology and human service to add it to my resume. I have a job taking care of children lined up for the fall, but I think I'll have to resort to volunteeer work this summer, and keep looking for a **** job in the meantime.

I'm so poor!

b4s

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a full-time job that I've been in for three years now. I'm currently trying for another position in my company, which I really really want. I think I have a good chance of getting it, so we'll see.

I've been really close to quitting my job a couple of times. Now that I'm married, I could get away with it, but our spending would be pretty tight. Now that I'm finally to the point in my life where I can pretty much buy whatever I want, I'm not sure I want to go back to how I've lived for so long (extreme penny pinching).

I guess I should be grateful for having the job I currently hold. It would be a great job if the manager of the department had her sh!t together. I don't think that will ever happen, though.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
As of tomorrow I'm back to working full time. Yeah!! I was laid off from GM in February of 2002. I've worked temp jobs ever since then. I've been lucky to find longer term temp positions that last several months. I've only gone a couple long stretches without work, the latest being the last 5 weeks. I got very stressed out this last time since my unemployment checks weren't nearly enough to live on and I had to borrow money from my parents to make ends meet.

The only crappy part about temping is the lack of benefits. I have no health insurance and I'm very scared of getting sick or injured *knock on wood*. I'm still looking for a full time permanent position with benefits, but it's really tough out there given my lack of a college degree.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Full-time job for the past 15 years (same "company" - different locations.....Japan for the last 6 1/2 years)

Next summer I go back to the states. If I don't have a job lined up - I'm just going. So I'll be at the mercy of the economy then.

I do have investment income and also a hobby business (gotta stop calling it that....it's developed out of that stage for a while now
), so I'm not way way anxious about it (just a little).

I really just worry about losing the BENEFITS (ie - medical, dental, vision, etc.) - losing those will make me feel extremely uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Well, I had three jobs this year. I was a teachers aide, an instuctor at a tutoring center, and I worked at the after school day care center for the school I worked at. But things are achanging at the moment. The last day of school was friday, so I'm done with the aide and after school jobs. My last day at the tutoring center is wed.
I'm gonna miss my jobs. I loved them.

But alas. I am moving next week and starting graduate school Sept 2nd. That leaves me two months. I am planning on going to a temp agency to try to find work for those two months. I'll take anything that comes along. Its only 8 weeks after all.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shewolf

I put part-time... I work on my PhD fulltime (and since I get paid for it it's a job) but I also tutor part-time...
My wife has a gig like this for her PhD. I like that she's not getting us any further into debt than I've gotten us!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JLRodgers

I spend all of my time writing and programming for nothing... Of course I'm more than willing to get paid for it. Trying to find a way to get paid for it as an actual steady income, and actually have a profit without ripping off people.
What kind of programming, anyway? That's supposed to be one of the top-growth jobs in the country over the next ten years.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Ah programming... unfortunately it's a large list of minor (under 3yr experience), but primarily VB & ASP with VC/C++ if not a primary, and SQL experience.

Applied for jobs with knowing people working there, and didnt get hired, for that matter no interview, or even a "thank you but hired someone else" letter. Think its just the area Im in... My headhunter people that I once had dont even return my calls anymore.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts