VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and doing some research for a project. I am a long time vegan and what I want to study is why people choose to go vegetarian or vegan. Your reasons will really help me out. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well first off I have a family who has a history of high blood pressure, diabetes, high ldl chloesterol, and a host of other health problems. Mostly from Bad diet. Vegeterianism has helped me to maintain a weight that most of my brothers/sisters uncles/aunts and etc can't acheive. I am 40 and have not been blessed with diabetes or any metaboloic problems. A healthy diet is the main reason for me.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
For me animals are the main reason, I want to treat others like I want to be treated and I wouldn't want to live as a factory farm animal. It's that simple in a nutshell

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
1. I never liked meat.
2. I am diabetic and am watching my father slowing commit suicide due to not caring for his own diabetes. I knew that I needed to make a change.
3. I like that my own tastebuds don't demand that another creature be killed.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I orignally back in 09 or so for the animals and combating factory farming, that was when I seen the vegan thanksgiving on Martha stewart, learned about factory farming but, later on in 2010 I started to research more, I know I had several mishaps and setbacks since then but, this year I found out I have precancer of the uterine lining , we want to avoid that, so I am wanting to get back on track and to lose the weight most of all. The most of all I want to be Peaceful about my health, about the animals, about the enivornment and to make the world a better place. There is no reason why these poor animals are getting tortured each day because of people wanting to have fun or enjoyment and no self control of what they are eating.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am interested in health and longevity. So my reason for becoming vegan is similar to Bill Clinton's reason for becoming practically vegan. His wife, Hillary has been doing yoga for many years and their daughter has been vegetarian since she was a teen. I have been doing yoga since age 12.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
For the animals, most definitely. That is my number 1 reason. Creating less of an environmental impact, eating healthier, greater food efficiency (meat in particular uses way more resources than plant-based foods which can contribute to world hunger) and being awesome are just a few added benefits. :3

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A developing sense of empathy eventually lead me to apply to animals the same rules of engagement I had to follow in the Army, at which point there really was no other logical choice in my opinion. I kill only out of necessity, not for pleasure, and if meat is not a dietary necessity then that's what it boils down to. I can't come up with any rationalization for eating meat other than "because it tastes good," and if something has to suffer and/or die in order for me to have it then that reason isn't good enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My first reason is rather personal and has to do with my problems with eating food. I considered becoming a vegetarian to see if this would help me out in this area. However, after researching for a time and watching some videos it became clear to me that I would be becoming a vegetarian so that I wouldn't be contributing to that disgusting cruelty done to animals.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

A developing sense of empathy eventually lead me to apply to animals the same rules of engagement I had to follow in the Army, at which point there really was no other logical choice in my opinion. I kill only out of necessity, not for pleasure, and if meat is not a dietary necessity then that's what it boils down to. I can't come up with any rationalization for eating meat other than "because it tastes good," and if something has to suffer and/or die in order for me to have it then that reason isn't good enough.
Kudos to you. I am from a veg family so just grew up with it, and I have bags of respect for anyone who has grown up eating meat and then chosen to make the switch themselves.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have several different reasons. Here are a few:

1. There is no ethical way for me to eat meat where I live, and I don't need it anyway.
2. I kept getting sick from eating meat, and that was the final push.
3. My goddess disapproves of cruelty to other living beings, humans and non-human animals alike.
4. The horrible ways the meat and dairy industry affect the environment.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Because it's illegal to eat some animals and I'd like to be consistent.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts