VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start with mine (gee, it's really the only truly vegetarian one I have too).....the Betty Crocker Vegetarian cookbook. As a new veggie who has no clue about nutrition and zero cooking skills, this is practically a lifesaver.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I think my all time faves are the ORIGINAL moosewood cookbook by Mollie Katzen and "the complete vegetarian times cookbook" with all the recipes from the magazine. I also bought 3 new ones thru my book club last week: crescent dragonwagon's passionate vegetarian and 2 others but have not tried them yet

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
"Nonna's Italian Kitchen," "Authentic Chinese Cuisine," both by Bryanna Clark Grogan; (as a matter of fact, ALL of Bryanna's books are awesome) "Professional Vegetarian Cooking," by Ken Bergeron; "Incredible Edibles," by Eriann Hullquist; "Ecological Cooking," by Stepaniak and Kathy Hecker; "The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook," by a compilation of cooks.

I love all my tons of cookbooks, but I seem to use these the most often.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sadiemac, you will love The Passionate Vegetarian. Zeb's Gumbo, although involved, is so tasty you'll flip. The book is so large and packed with info it's almost a little overwhelming.

I love the Garden of Vegan/How It all Vegan Books too, but I find that I keep going back to Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven, and Lorna Sass' Tales From an Ecological Kitchen. I have a lot of cookbooks, but those two are foundational.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i really like how it all vegan. it's simple,easy, and the recipes/ingredient lists are short. i dont own it tho. i own many complex ones that are great but it takes some concentratin to do the recipes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
"The farm" has delicious recipies although they do use white flour I always just exchange it with whole wheat. I just barely bought "The Uncheese Cookbook", I haven't tried it yet but it got outstanding reviews at Amazon. I could not live without "Country Life" I highly recommend this cookbook. Their recipies are easy and delicious. Other cookbooks I own include "The voluptous Vegan", "Very Vegetarian", "The Meditarrenan (definitly spelled that wrong) Vegan Cookbook", among others.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The two I use almost exclusively anymore are Vegan Meals for 1 or 2 and Table for Two. I like them b/c the recipes are easy, yummy, and don't make 12 servings.

I actually have dozens of cookbooks--I don't cook from most of them b/c the recipes are often too complicated or make enough to feed a veg*n army, but I love reading them.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i hate that
there's only two of us in the house but i'm the only veg*n. the hubby and the parrot are devout carnivores (parrot's fave food is chicken
) and even cutting recipes in half is sometimes a problem because of my food restrictions...although i AM trying to convert a couple of co-workers and a friend's mom LOVES my chili and bisghetti sauce (even after she found out they have TVP for 'meat" )

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yeah, only having two in the house is a drag. My husband is always complaining that I need to stop making so many loaves of bread and egg-less cakes. I usually make an 8 x 8-inch cake, eat one slice, and try to pass the rest off on other people (my co-workers work for hunting magazines, so they're not too receptive to food lacking in dead bits). They come out good, and I love cake, but I like making it more than I like eating it. I need to find people to cook for.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
kraftykraft:

I just started getting those recipe cards too! So far I love them! I remeber vegetarian times magazine YEARS ago when I was vegetarian the FIRST time. To find it now I had to drive 40+ miles to Tampa to buy a copy...needless to say I sent in the subscription form
It's rough being a vegetarian in the boonies

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just picked this up from the library today. It looks pretty good. Can't wait to try out the recipes.

'Burgers 'n Fries 'n Cinnomon Buns - Low fat, meatless version of fast food favorites' by Bobbie Hinman

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.