VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What is this square "code" thing? The one with the smaller squares in the two upper corners and the lower left corner? What is it called?

It says to scan it. What are you supposed to scan it with?

I am seeing these things all over the place. There's one on a sticker pasted to my new laptop. I've seen some on posters in store windows. This one is from an envelope containing a statement from a "global" mutual fund.

I have no clue.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Well, your images aren't showing up, but I assume you mean something like this:

It's meant to be scanned with your smart phone.

ETA: it's just a way of storing and transmitting information, similar to a bar code.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Well, your images aren't showing up, but I assume you mean something like this:

It's meant to be scanned with your smart phone.

ETA: it's just a way of storing and transmitting information, similar to a bar code.
Thanks. I had some trouble getting the image to show up, because I had a "misspelling" in the URL. Sorry. I think it should be showing up now though.

I don't have a "smart" phone. My phone is pretty dumb, I guess.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Yeah, the idea is that you can take a picture of it with a smartphone. It functions like a barcode. You could get more information about whatever is in that ad by using an I-Phone to scan that square. I don't have an I-Phone, so I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but that's the general idea.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,343 Posts
Those things are suddenly everywhere, it seems like. There is one in my neighborhood on a house for sale sign, and the bar code thing is huge, like a foot across. :)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm bumping this thread for a couple of reasons.

First, with respect to terminology, "QR code" seems to mean a couple of different things. One is the use of the term in a "generic" sense, the way people say "Kleenex" to mean any kind of facial tissue or "Scotch tape" to mean any kind of cellophane tape. There is actually a competing, similar type of graphical code called a Data Matrix code, and I am seeing these more often than QR codes in the narrow sense. So I was meaning to include all these types of things in the discussion.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Matrix

Second, I found an application that will read these things just using a PC.

http://www.quickmark.com.tw/en/basic/index.asp

It appears to be freeware, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Third, there appears to be an on-line utility to decode these things (although I have not tried it).

Quote:
There's also a web-based QR decoder from ZXing (the Android barcode scanner).

At http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx you can either give it the URL of an image or upload the image directly.

Nothing to install and handy if you don't have a webcam.
Fourth, I've been decoding some of these graphics, especially the ones that come on my bills, account statements, etc.

For example, the graphic on my natural gas bill decodes as:

NCCUHW 35018 0102700

So a graphical code decodes to an alpha-numeric code. Some of these letter and number combinations are printed elsewhere on my bill. I really have no idea what they mean. So one code decodes to another code.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Forgive me if this has been explained already, but aren't these things just 2D barcodes? So instead of a series of lines (1D) you have an area with pixels (2D)?

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Forgive me if this has been explained already, but aren't these things just 2D barcodes? So instead of a series of lines (1D) you have an area with pixels (2D)?
Well those are used like physical links/messages instead of being used for prices

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.