VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Now you've done it.

It's based on this book called Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman.

And you're going to get the whole nine yards, now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Fuhrman diet put simply, is a vegetable based diet and based around the nutrient density concept. It is also known as the "Eat To Live" diet and "The Greatest Diet on Earth".

It is based on the formula H=N/C or Health = Nutirents divided by calories.

You take the highest nutrient foods with the lowest amount of calories and eat those as much as possible. For instance Kale has more nutrients per calorie than Broccoli. Kale tops the list as the healthiest food on the planet! Not saying don't eat Broccoli but I think you get the idea. Oatmeal and rice are both grains and starchy, Which one has more nutrients? Oatmeal.

The more nutrient dense foods we consume the better our protection against disease. Dr. Fuhrman has NEVER had one patient who eats this way have a heart attack in over 15 years!!! He has cured many auto-immune diseases such as Rhuematoid Arthritis, Lupus, Psoriasis. Type II diabetics are usually of drugs within a month and Type I diabetics usually can cut there insulin in half and have stable sugar levels (and they can eat fruit).

He has written an entire book on how to cancer proof your body (Disease Proof Your Child). It is backed up by thousands of studies.

Beans/Legumes (no peanuts), Veggies, Fruits, Nuts/Seeds

No added salts or sugars, A little oil is Ok if you are at your ideal weight but not neccesary. It includes raw and cooked veggies and meat is optional. I follow the vegan version myself.

The amount of fat in this diet can vary from as low as 10% of calories up to as high as 50% in you are a world class olympic athlete.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

If you want to be a healthy vegan, this is the way to go.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Primarily an anti-disease diet, particularly an anti-cancer diet. It can be vegan or you can eat small amounts of meat if you are so inclined. The main point is preventing heart disease, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, etc. through your diet. That, to me, is a good thing!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post

The Fuhrman diet put simply, is a vegetable based diet and based around the nutrient density concept. It is also known as the "Eat To Live" diet and "The Greatest Diet on Earth".

It is based on the formula H=N/C or Health = Nutirents divided by calories.

You take the highest nutrient foods with the lowest amount of calories and eat those as much as possible. For instance Kale has more nutrients per calorie than Broccoli. Kale tops the list as the healthiest food on the planet! Not saying don't eat Broccoli but I think you get the idea. Oatmeal and rice are both grains and starchy, Which one has more nutrients? Oatmeal.

The more nutrient dense foods we consume the better our protection against disease. Dr. Fuhrman has NEVER had one patient who eats this way have a heart attack in over 15 years!!! He has cured many auto-immune diseases such as Rhuematoid Arthritis, Lupus, Psoriasis. Type II diabetics are usually of drugs within a month and Type I diabetics usually can cut there insulin in half and have stable sugar levels (and they can eat fruit).

He has written an entire book on how to cancer proof your body (Disease Proof Your Child). It is backed up by thousands of studies.

Beans/Legumes (no peanuts), Veggies, Fruits, Nuts/Seeds

No added salts or sugars, A little oil is Ok if you are at your ideal weight but not neccesary. It includes raw and cooked veggies and meat is optional. I follow the vegan version myself.

The amount of fat in this diet can vary from as low as 10% of calories up to as high as 50% in you are a world class olympic athlete.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

If you want to be a healthy vegan, this is the way to go.
I just have to comment on a few of dr. fuhrman's claims ( if they are his claims and not yours?)

Lupus for one example cannot be cured, it can be controlled but there is NO cure, so for dr. fuhrman to make claims like this is plain wrong and as a medical professional he should know this.

same for rheumatoid arthritis.

and the other thing is you can follow a diet to cancer proof yourself but that does not in any way shape or form mean you will NOT get cancer, yes you may lessen your chances, but there is NO guarantee.

I hate diets that claim to be cure alls.

yes eating healthy , low fat, veg diets are great, i am not saying that, i just hate to hear someone claim things that are not true.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi,

I follow Dr. Fuhrman's dietary recommendations, and I am vegan. It is a fruit and vegetable based diet, which means that in his food pyramid, fruits and vegetables are at the base rather than grains. This is a very nutrient dense diet intended to promote optimal health and longevity, allow people to achieve and maintain their ideal weight, and to prevent and reverse chronic disease conditions, through nutritional excellence. Dr. Fuhrman's health equation is H=N/C which means Health=Nutrients/Calories. Another way of saying this is that we want to get the most nutrients per calorie that we can, or the most nutritional bang for the caloric buck.

By nutrients, Dr. F. is talking about micro-nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. He does not focus on the macro-nutrients, which are protein, carbs, and fat. That is, he doesn't tell us what particular % of our total caloric intake should come from protein, from carbs, or from fat. What he does say is that the average american who is overweight is eating too much protein, too much carbs, and too much fat, because they are just eating too darn many calories, so the relative percentages of each are kind of beside the point. If you are eating more calories than you burn, you will gain weight, so who really cares what % of them are fat, or whatever. So, we focus on maximizing our micronutrients, which are found in the non-caloric part of foods, and this is best accomplished through a whole foods vegan diet, that contains a heavy volume of fruits and vegetables, and also includes beans, and healthy fats such as nuts,seeds and avocado as well. There is a non-vegan version of the diet for people who are not ready to totally give up meat, however, only small amounts of meat are allowed on an occasional basis. Dr. F. believes that if he can get people to cut way back on the amount of meat they eat, and get the vast majority of their calories from nutrient dense vegetarian sources, they will greatly improve their health.

Many feel that the best alternatives to the modern disease causing SAD (standard american diet) are the more healthful traditional diets, which have been grain-based. Dr. Fuhrman, on the other hand believes we can do even better than these traditional diets, and that we have a rare opportunity at this moment in history to eat a healthier diet, and to live longer healthier lives than would have ever been possible at any time in the past, and that unfortunately, our society is not taking advantage of the opportunity, and is not experiencing the optimal health that it could be (to put it mildly). Prior to the advent of refrigeration, it made sense to center a diet around grains because they would store well, and not rot easily like the fruits and vegetables. But today, with refrigeration and transport, we have access to fruits and vegetables year round, and these are much more nutrient dense foods that we can use to optimize our health. Unfortunately, instead of eating these healthy foods, people are eating lots of unnatural, processed, fake foods created by the food industry, which are very nutrient poor, as well as diets full of meat and dairy products were are full of unhealthy saturated fat.

Well, thats a few tidbits off the top of my head to give you a basic idea. Dr. Fuhrman is author of the following books: "Eat To Live", "Disease-Proof Your Child", "Fasting and Eating for Health", and "Cholesterol Protection for Life". He has a wonderful DVD called 'Greatest Diet on Earth', and a website that you can check out for further info, but it seems I'm not allowed to post that link because I've done less than 15 post here.

All that typing, and I haven't even mentioned the wonderful effects this diet has had on my life! I'm 48, and much to my own surprise at this age, I find that I'm at a great weight, which happens to be even less than what I weighed in high school, and I'm not struggling at all to maintain this. My relationship with food has totally changed, and I thoroughly enjoy the wonderful healthy foods I eat. I have way more energy than ever before, and I just feel really great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi Bekajoi,

Dr. F. isn't 100 yet, but I think he is 52, and looks to be in great shape for his age. I wouldn't be likely to take health advice from a fat and unhealthy looking doctor!

·
Registered
183 Posts
BonoLuvr,

What Dr. Fuhrman has said is that many of his patients have 'recovered' from Lupus. He also maintains in his November 2004 Healthy Times newsletter that Nutritional Excellence is the solution for complete drug-free remission of auto-immune disorders. He didn't actually use the word 'cured', but I'm not really sure exactly what the difference would be between being in remission on a continual basis, and being 'cured'. In any case, seems to me that if you are in remission, and you can stay that way, that would be a really good thing. Anyway... you might want to take a look at that November 2004 newsletter, as the whole issue is devoted in detail to autoimmune diseases and the 'dramatic impact' that nutritional excellence can have in treating these diseases. Then you could give us your educated opinion on what he has to say (do I remember correctly about you having some sort of medical background, or am I just confusing you with someone else?).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oops, Sorry Elijah! I missed the part where you asked people to guess Dr. Fuhrman's age! It took me a long time to get my first post typed up, and your posts weren't even there when I started.

I feel bad for ruining the guessing game.

BTW, the first broadcast of Dr. F.'s radio show was really great. It was called 'Nutrition Can Win The War on Cancer', and one of the guests was a 71 year old ironwoman who was diagnosed with an advanced metastatic breast cancer at the age of 48, and who made a full recovery through nutritional means, and has been cancer free for 24 years. Its a really nice story to hear.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganClaudia View Post

BonoLuvr,

What Dr. Fuhrman has said is that many of his patients have 'recovered' from Lupus. He also maintains in his November 2004 Healthy Times newsletter that Nutritional Excellence is the solution for complete drug-free remission of auto-immune disorders. He didn't actually use the word 'cured', but I'm not really sure exactly what the difference would be between being in remission on a continual basis, and being 'cured'. In any case, seems to me that if you are in remission, and you can stay that way, that would be a really good thing. Anyway... you might want to take a look at that November 2004 newsletter, as the whole issue is devoted in detail to autoimmune diseases and the 'dramatic impact' that nutritional excellence can have in treating these diseases. Then you could give us your educated opinion on what he has to say (do I remember correctly about you having some sort of medical background, or am I just confusing you with someone else?).
claudia

i did not say these autoimmune diseases cannot be controlled I said claims to cure them are false, ( i was under the impression dr. fuhrman claims cures).......yes good nutrition can help some people put these diseases into remission, but they will not be cured, they could possibly flare up in the future.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganClaudia View Post

Hi Bekajoi,

Dr. F. isn't 100 yet, but I think he is 52, and looks to be in great shape for his age. I wouldn't be likely to take health advice from a fat and unhealthy looking doctor!
He looks older than 52, IMO, but ok.

And I wouldn't be likely to take health advice from a doctor trying to sell me a bunch of stuff anyway.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I agree with Bonoluvr. The diseases mentioned can go into remission or their symptoms can be lessened, but they cannot be "eliminated" (a word used on his website).

"Treating" diseases can be a misleading term for those desperately looking for a cure and though it usually is assumed that with treatment comes a cure, this is not always the case...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.