VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desperately need a job, and I see that they are hiring. I'm going to apply anyway but I just want to decide if I should buy their products. They say on their site that theyre against animal testing.

Is this true? I just remember hearing some people here say that they arent vegan friendly. Maybe not, but I thought I did...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I read that they are using lanolin, honey, and beeswax in some products (also, pig hair in some brushes). "The Body Shop is cruelty-free, but was acquired by L’Oreal in 2006. Although The Body Shop still does not test its products on animals, L’Oreal continues to conduct animal testing."

·
Registered
582 Posts
Body Shop products are not tested on animals but they remain a non vegan company as long as they continue to use animal products like beeswax, lanolin, honey and pig hair etc.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
^ in the UK they are on the label, how annoying that they're not there

As others have said, bodyshop doesn't test on animals, and is a vegetartian company. It's also owned ny Loreal who test on animals.

I do buy from bodyshop, and am happy to do so. This is because personally I don't have an ethical problem with buying vegan products from non-vegan companies, I think it increases the demand for vegan products, and makes vegan products more acessesable, which can only be good. I also don't think that it would make a lot of sense for me to boycott a vegetarian company that doesn't test on animals, when I buy products from the supermarket who produce their own meat, sell battery eggs, products tested on animals, and goodness knows what else every week. Or eating at an omni resturaunt, or buying clothes from non-vegan shops, etc etc etc. For me, bodyshop is one of the more ethical shops I actually shop at.

I like bodyshop because in my experience most people don't agree with testing on animals for cosmetics, but they still buy products that have been tested on animals because a) they don't know what is and isn't tested and b) they can't be bothered to find out. I think having a major highstreet retailer, which appeals to the massess, with a very public policy on animal testing is a great thing.

Another thing I would say is to be honest, you really should apply to this job even if you don't agree with bodyshop being owned by loreal, or selling non-vegan products. How many independant vegan companies are there out there, that you could get a job with? Most companies are owned by bigger companies with countless unethical practises. I'd love a job in a local health food shop, or a vegan cafe, but if I needed a job I'd still take one at sainsburys, or boots, or pizza express, unfortunatly in the society we live in there are very few completely ethical job choices. Perhaps even none, my local health food shops sell dairy products, and there isn't even a vegan cafe in my town.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
My daughter has her second interview here later today. They loved her so much that they interviewed her in June and waited for her availability to open up now in September to have the next interview! I hope she gets the job; it's not easy for an 18 year old to find decent work.

I hope you apply and get hired too!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

They're owned by L'Oreal, which tests products on animals. I won't buy Body Shop products because of this.
Sadly, there are quite a few meat companies that own veggie companies, so it's hard to avoid. That's like never eating at an omni restaurant because you don't want to give money to the company that sells meat. I hate how many parent companies there are that test.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Thanks! It's in 15 minutes. I'm lighting candles and visualizing and chanting and praying to FSM and such

She's gonna get it, I KNOW it.

The environment at this one is awesome! At least 1/2 the people are gay and fun and friendly!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

True. But we all make choices as to where we spend our money and where we won't. I could have also said, I don't shop at Body Shop because I prefer Lush products, or I don't shop at Body Shop because I don't really want/need/like many of their products.

(I'm not arguing with you, btw.
)
You're arguing! Stop it!
Just kidding.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
2Steps..is the Nestle connection through L'oreal?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
My mother has bought me body shop stuff for my birthday (I saw a bag). She doesnt know that I dont buy from them anymore. Or should I? I am confused after reading this thread.

Anyway, I do like their products so I am not too worried I guess. The thing that really bothers me about it is the animal testing by Loreal. I find it pretty offputting and I would rather support local, more ethical skincare companies than Loreal.

Anyway I dont judge anyone wanting to work there as it is not really the individual shops faults that Loreal bought it. I dont know. And god knows it is hard to get a job these days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.