VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 year old son has a slight cold. Usually I would make chicken soup for nutrition/comfort during sickness. What vegetarian soups or other foods do you fix when your children are sick?

I gave him cooked squash last night. He ate a few bites and then said he didn't like it. Maybe blending veggies would make them more appealing for a child? He is not on a vegetarian diet, I just don't want to buy meat or prepare it.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Noodle soup with a stock made from vegetables, or, for a shortcut, using veggie bullion. That's my comfort food soup. For eggless fine noodles, I use either Asian noodles, or most Hispanic groceries have fine soup noodles that don't contain egg.

Homemade mashed potatoes are also always appealing to me when I'm sick.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
there is that canned soup. it is called Amy's soup, one of them is a "chicken" soup. i usually use it for myself

·
Registered
908 Posts
I love eating miso soup! It's quick, cheap and easy to make, not mentioning the various health benefits of miso.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
I love tofu noodle soup! Basically like chicken noodle soup but with tofu instead of chicken and vegetable stock instead of chicken broth.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Red lentil soup, filling, warming, comfort food. Really easy to make too - cook red lentils, drain, add can of chopped tomatoes and veg stock and a bit of salt, and any other herbs or spices you like. Puree. Done.

·
Registered
237 Posts
At the bulk barn here you can buy vegetarian chicken noodle soup mix in (suprise) bulk! It isn't super nutritious though...heh...just comforting and tasty.
Usually when i'm under the weather I like to have vegetarian vegetable soup. The kind with the little squares of vegetables and the pastas in the shapes of letters. That is sadly, one of the ultimate comfort foods for me. Campbell's has a vegetarian vegetable, as well as Heinz(hard to find for some reason) and Walmart brand just to start

If you are up to cooking hodgepodge with cubed veggies or corn chowder. Less kid friendly though.

Aside from the soups above, another comfort food for me include cheesy mashed potatoes(Mashed potatoes with milk butter and cheese grated and melted in, whipped to be smooth with no lumps), grilled cheese and tomato soup and when I was a child especially, a banana and strawberry smoothie. In general smoothies are great when you are sick, packed with vitamins and so tasty it's like getting a treat.

Hope I helped and your little one feels better soon!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It's not a soup, but I always drink chamomile-ginger tea. I also make my friends drink it when they're sick.

It's super simple...

Chamomile, or chamomile blend tea bag.
1-3 inches of fresh ginger root

Brew your standard chamomile tea.

Peel the ginger root, and grate it on a cheese grater. Take care to keep the juices as you grates. once grates, squeeze all the juice from the ginger that you can. Pour the juice into the tea, and add sugar. I like mine extra sweet.

The ginger and chamomile both sooth an upset stomach very well. Plus, both naturally support your immune system.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Reader's Digest (not a vegetarian advocacy magazine) had an article some years ago about colds and what really helps with a cold. They discussed chicken soup, and found that it is really helpful. But they found that it had nothing to do with the chicken content of the soup. Rather, it was the vegetables--the onions, the carrots, etc.--that were the reason it was so helpful, providing comfort, nutrition, etc. So find a good recipe for chicken soup and just leave out the chicken (and any other ingredients you find inappropriate).

BTW, they also found echanacea angustifolia (sp?) drops (in tea or a warm drink) to be helpful.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I dont have kids, but I make myself potato soup when I'm sick, with potatoes, carrots, sometimes maybe lentils, and a little bit of chipotle spice to open up the nasal passages with out burning my mouth :p

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
This is my go-to soup when I am feeling under the weather.

Pasta soup:

2 TB olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
6 cups broth of your choice (I've used veggie broth, water with McKay's chicken seasoning, and no chicken bullion, the bullion is my favorite)
Italian seasoning to taste
9 or so ounces pasta
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 normal can diced tomatoes
8 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in large pot, add onions and garlic, cook until soft. And broth and seasoning, boil for five minutes. Add cooked pasta and tomatoes, simmer five more minutes. Add spinach, cook until wilted.

You can use whatever pasta you like. I like spiral pasta, but you could use anything, really. If you get refrigerated tortellini, you don't have to cook it separately before throwing it in.

If you are really sniffly, add extra garlic and spices. Makes your nose run and clears out all the gunk.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts