VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dogs and cats all eat store-brand food, but I'd really like to get them something better. I've looked into vegetarian pet food, but most of the "information" I've gotten from people about that is from meat-eaters who probably don't understand why a person would want to be vegetarian, and they just say that cats NEED meat, although some people are willing to admit that dogs can be vegetarians.

As far as dog food is concerned, I think if they can safely be vegetarians, I may as well go that route. I recently bought them a small bag of Nature's Recipe vegetarian dog food for them to try, and they all seem to like it pretty well.

As far as cats are concerned, I can't find any unbiased information about vegetarian cat food. I've seen good reviews of some brands, and I've also seen messages on a message board from people who fed their cats that same brand and had trouble with urinary tract infections. Needless to say, that makes me a little worried about trying that cat food. I would love for my cats to be vegetarians, but if that won't work out, I'd at least like to feed them something without all the nasty garbage meat and that has veggies and stuff. Natural Balance cat food looks pretty good, from looking at the ingredients list.

So my question is, what pet food is the best? I don't have time to cook stuff for them, and having been a vegetarian all my life, I wouldn't want to cook meat for them. Kibble is the easiest thing to feed them, and of course we always have plenty of water for them (for the cats, the water is right beside the food). I'd like to know what brands people do or don't recommend and why, and if you've tried vegetarian pet food, I'd like to know what brand you tried and how it worked out. I'm not asking for opinions like "cats (or dogs) NEED meat," because I've heard enough of that already. I just want to know what you think based on your personal experiences. Thanks!

Sabrina

P.S. I'm not the only one who buys pet food in this household, so whatever I buy won't be the only thing they eat. But I want the pet food I buy to be really good so they'll at least be getting something better part of the time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I feed my dog Natural Life, which I get at my local food-coop. Also, Newman's Own Organics canned dog food in different flavors, but we only give her about half a can a day. As for vegetarian, her main dog food isn't, but her 'treats' are. I've bought both the vegetarian and peanut butter variety of Pet Guard's dog treats.

Other brands I haven't used personally, but have heard are good also are Pet Promise and Wellness. I would aviod Purina at all costs

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i feed my cat Innova Evo dry cat food. it contains no grains, and the meat it is made from is human grade. i really like it for those (and other) reasons. and my cat seems to enjoy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts