VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the "stupid things vegetarians say". Many vegetarians believe fish is not meat. It is not a vegetable nor grain, they say, but it is not meat. Then what is it? It is an animal, it bleeds, it has bones, it has muscles, it lives, and people kill them to eat. How is that not meat?

Do not answer "what is fish" with fish. A fish is an animal. An animal is made of meat.

Am I right?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yes, you're right.

There can be absolutely no truthful alternative answer. Fish are by definition animals.

Let's forget about whether or not something helps us to fit conveniently into a category or label, though. Labels don't matter. Reasons, not rules, make us strong. I recommend Jonathan Foer's wonderful book "eating animals." There's an entire chapter on the harm the fishing industry does to living things.

As evolved, compassionate beings, humans can and should learn about such wanton destruction so we can make informed decisions in our lives.

·
Banned
437 Posts
You're absolutely right.

My family keeps trying to goad me into eating fish, saying it's not meat. I snapped back the other day, "Then what the hell is it? A vegetable? Did you pick your dinner off a salmon tree?"

The response? "Well, I still don't think fish is meat."

Good defense...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Yes, you're right.

There can be absolutely no truthful alternative answer. Fish are by definition animals.

Let's forget about whether or not something helps us to fit conveniently into a category or label, though. Labels don't matter. Reasons, not rules, make us strong. I recommend Jonathan Foer's wonderful book "eating animals." There's an entire chapter on the harm the fishing industry does to living things.

As evolved, compassionate beings, humans can and should learn about such wanton destruction so we can make informed decisions in our lives.
Great answer Josh.

·
Registered
814 Posts
LL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think if you want to avoid eating animals, and not just avoid eating meat, then you shouldn't eat anything that use to be living, including fish.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drskipper View Post

I think if you want to avoid eating animals, and not just avoid eating meat, then you shouldn't eat anything that use to be living, including fish.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:

I prefer to say I won't eat anyone who poops, because plants are alive too.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
True, but you will get an awful lot of heckling from carnists if you say you don't eat anything that used to be alive.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
A miserable little pile of secrets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have to kill an animal for an egg or milk, and vegans don't eat any animal products, veg*ns can. I would go insane if I went vegan. No ice cream, no pizza, no chocolate, no way! I know there are subsitutes, but you just can't subsitute the real thing =/

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:

This is one of the "stupid things vegetarians say". Many vegetarians believe fish is not meat. It is not a vegetable nor grain, they say, but it is not meat. Then what is it? It is an animal, it bleeds, it has bones, it has muscles, it lives, and people kill them to eat. How is that not meat?

Do not answer "what is fish" with fish. A fish is an animal. An animal is made of meat.

Am I right?
IMO saying fish isn't meat is the same as trying to say birds aren't meat.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:

I don't have to kill an animal for an egg or milk...
Yes you do. What do you suppose they do to all the male chicks that get hatched, and where do you think veal calves come from? Not trying to make you go vegan, but at the very least you ought to know the real cost in lives of your eggs and milk. I used to think the same thing when I was a vegetarian kid, and I was glad to learn I was wrong about it, because not being responsible for animal death was important to me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yes you do. What do you suppose they do to all the male chicks that get hatched, and where do you think veal calves come from? Not trying to make you go vegan, but at the very least you ought to know the real cost in lives of your eggs and milk. I used to think the same thing when I was a vegetarian kid, and I was glad to learn I was wrong about it, because not being responsible for animal death was important to me.
You don't have to kill in order to get milk or egg, but the animal industry ensures it.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

You don't have to kill in order to get milk or egg, but the animal industry ensures it.
Exactly. I'm not pro-milk or eggs, but the animal industry makes it even more evil than it has to be.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

It's not limited to industry. No small scale or even personal attempt to get milk and eggs from animals would work without the male animals eventually being killed, because no one could afford to keep all the unproductive males alive and fed throughout their natural lifespans.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts