VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What illnesses make you smell?

Are there any that make you smell like a off sort of citrus smell?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,245 Posts
Brain tumors can cause you to think you are smelling all kinds of weird smells, but they don't actually cause body odor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
I watched a health show once about a woman who exuded a fish smell....she had to stop working and everything because it was repulsive.

Cancers can cause odors, but I've never heard of smelling like citrus....is this for you or someone else? If it's you, do only you smell it, or does more than one person tell you you smell? That could make a difference if it's in your brain, or only one other person's perception, or multiple other people smelling it.

here's a list of what other's recommend for improving body odor smells
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...IomlO.....kind of interesting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I watched a health show once about a woman who exuded a fish smell....she had to stop working and everything because it was repulsive.

Cancers can cause odors, but I've never heard of smelling like citrus....is this for you or someone else? If it's you, do only you smell it, or does more than one person tell you you smell? That could make a difference if it's in your brain, or only one other person's perception, or multiple other people smelling it.

here's a list of what other's recommend for improving body odor smells
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...IomlO.....kind of interesting
I agree with Jess on cancer smelling but when my dad had it definitely was not a citrus smell.

I found this article from the Mayo Clinic on Phantosmia, kind of interesting:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phantosmia/AN01684
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Migraines.
I get terrible migraines and MAV (migraine assosiated vertigo) which is a migraine without the headache, you feel dizzy and sometimes it can just be something like smelling a really strong smell that no one else can...I smell smoke and sickly sweet flowers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
People with out of control diabetes can have a fruity smell to their breath or their sweat. Apparently, people with urinary tract infections can have the same problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

What illnesses make you smell?

Are there any that make you smell like a off sort of citrus smell?
You mean that mental disorder that compells a person to purchase linx body spray?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

People with out of control diabetes can have a fruity smell to their breath or their sweat. Apparently, people with urinary tract infections can have the same problem.
Or anytime your body goes into ketoacidosis that happens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis It can happen if you're dieting too much/starving or diabetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Or anytime your body goes into ketoacidosis that happens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis It can happen if you're dieting too much/starving or diabetic.
It would probably be ketosis, rather than ketoacidosis, which is life-threatening. Ketosis is what the low-carb mob get when they don't eat enough carbohydrate. Ketone bodies form and are used as an energy substrate. Nail polish, or fruity sort of smell, bit like acetone. You could get some ketone strips from the drug store/chemist to test. If you're diabetic, get it checked out immediately by a doc or do a glucose measurement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
My daughter is one of those who puts off that repulsive odor and yes, it has caused her to lose employment and has been a huge detriment to her social life. Doctors have given her some medicine to combat the odor but it is not much help.
 

·
Riot Nrrrd
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top