VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have several threads on gifts people received. But what gifts did you all give to others (friends and family) this Christmas?

(For gifts given to children and/or students, I'd be very interested in the age of the child and/or grade level of the student.)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have several threads on gifts people received. But what gifts did you all give to others (friends and family) this Christmas?

(For gifts given to children and/or students, I'd be very interested in the age of the child and/or grade level of the student.)

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i made everything this year.

magnets, coasters, scarves, jewelry, wall art, food/drink tray, floor mat, soap, keychains, rain gauge, cookies.

ETA: my brother is 14/9th grade. i made a big piece of wall art for him with his favorite college/basketball team in mind, Duke.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think I did best with my mom.

My wife and I saw Billy Connelly perform live a few weeks back with my mom who mentioned that she loooooves Billy Connoly's World Tour of Australia, but the VHS copies I transferred for her from PAL to NTSC years ago (it has to be a good ten years since I did that) were wearing thin and almost unwatchable. (My whole family adores Billy Connelly.)

So I ordered it on DVD from the UK, as well as his more recent World Tour Of New Zealand (I don't know why he calls his tours of individual countries World Tours either, and while I am in parenthetical mode I would add that neither is available in Region 1 (North American) format).

These are region 2 PAL DVDs which she can't play on her Region 1 NTSC DVD player here in Canada.

So I painstakingly transferred the store-bought Region 2 PAL DVDs so that she could watch them (compassionate1, if you are reading this, that is how I was able to make those Spaced DVDs I sent you, and aren't you glad I did?) and, long story short, she was over the moon to get DVD quality copies of both.

Also she expressed an interest in Indian cooking last time we went out for a curry so I got her a fantastic book on that. At least, she said she loved it and for $50 I was glad to hear it.

And she mentioned a few months back how much she loved West Side Story. So I grabbed her that on DVD.

Point is, a few months before Xmas I always go into gift idea mode and try to listen to what people say and get them gifts accordingly. And either my mom talks a lot or I got lucky, but she was a happy camper this year.

Also I paid for my wife's trip to Calgary, but what she doesn't know is that is just as much a gift I give myself.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
my friend Krystel: a pretty white scarf with red and yellow in it, to go with her red coat.

my friend mariam: a tea sampler thing that came in one of those portable coffee/tea mug things, cuz she loooves tea

my friend ashley: fuzzy socks and a bath bomb from Lush

my friend clarke: flavoured hot chocolate and the promise to make him my veggie pizza that he is totally obsessed with

mom: a cute teddy bear and some bath gel from the body shop

dad: flavoured coffees cuz i had no idea what else to get him, and I know he likes coffee

brother: a nice big dayplanner, for him to use when he starts his business this year.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Long Distance:

Aunt/Godmother, Sister, Brother-In-Law: Checks

Older Nephew (18, College Freshman): Butt/Face Towel (indirectly came to my attention courtesy of Jessica Alana; Sister loved it BTW); some software

Younger Nephew (13, 7th grade): Sports Illustrated and National Geographic magazine subscriptions; some software to help him learn French

Friend Paul: Consumer Reports subscription

Local:

Friend Ginny (macrobiotic chef): portable kitchen timer

Friend Gabrielle (vegan chef): portable kitchen timer and Aquasana shower water filter

Friend Peg (who sometimes cooks meals for me): elasticized bowl covers; macrobiotic cooking DVD [possibly some other small stuff, as I haven't seen her since before Christmas, so haven't actually given her the gifts].

Friend Sherry (recycler): Diamond-coated file to repair chipped glassware

Friend Anne (teetotaling architect): lever corkscrew

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Hubby got a calculator w/tape for his new business and underwear.

Heather - new shirts, umbrella, frog stapler, frog necklace, (not real frog), mouse/keypad for laptop, picture frame, purse made from recycled seatbelts, cute checkbook cover.

Sabrina - new shirts, cow stapler, starfish necklace, zippered hoodie, green bowls for the apartment, pretty 'undergarments', cute checkbook cover.

Dave - Sweater, Fleece, dress shirt, tie, long sleeved t-shirt.

Steven - shirts, shirts and more shirts, boots, belt, gloves.

Steve's girlfriend - two shirts, tinkerbell necklace and gift card.

My sister - gift card

Niece's baby - Gap shoes and sweater

SIL - Three shirts and Davinci Code DVD

$$$ to the college students

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Grandkids in California:

Adreanna (15) - shirt, jeans, purse, necklace, video game

Henry (9) - shirt, khakis, game, video game, matchbox cars

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Mom- box of chocolates from a small chocolate shop we visited on vacation that she loved

Step dad- beer glasses from his favorite brewery that you can't buy in our state (e-bay)

19 yo Sister/ niece (1yo)- Cash

8 yo brother- Kit to make telescope, periscope, sun dial, and other activities that teach about the properties of light.

5 yo sister- set to create beaded flowers

Dad- travel coffee mug that plugs into car, candy

Boyfriend's mom- outdoor lights

Boyfriend's dad- Boxes of skeet (he got a launcher for x-mas)

Roommate 1- barnes and nobles gift card

Roommate 2- "I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am" mug

Roommate 3- Hopefully getting her cat spayed (I'm taking a week off of work because my grandmother passed away so my finances are a bit stretched now).

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Dad: a burned/etched plaque of Christopher Columbus' ships. My first thought when I saw it was, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader!" which is a story he loves. He has several posters of the Dawn Treader, and he enjoys reading about explorers, too.

Mom: the joint gift with my sisters is a mother's necklace with each of her children's genuine birthstones set into a gold heart pendant. A diamond represents the babies she lost in countless miscarriages. When we told her that, she almost cried. It won't arrive for a few more weeks, so I also gave her a blue/gray pottery vase, a quilted pillow sham (picked it up off the street while on a walk, just like I'd do when she and I went on walks when I was a kid), and a wooden sign saying "Kitchen closed." She loved the sign especially; said she would like to keep people from hunting for food just before dinner's ready.

My sisters and I exchange names, and whoever you get is the person you focus on giving gifts to.

21-year-old sister: Guinness Book of World Records from 1965. She has many recent ones, and I thought she'd like to compare. True to form, she sat there reading aloud and commenting, "This one's changed... oh I know that can't be the record now..."

17-year-old sister: a poster of an adorable dog holding a rose in its mouth.

10-year-old sister #1: a child's thesaurus. She couldn't stop talking about it and how she'll use it in

10-year-old sister #2: two illustrated classics, Her Best Move movie, a red frilly skirt, matching red shawl, purple note pads and other purple misc and candy. (I drew her name.)

Aunt and Uncle #1: the book Lost Ohio about legends, ghost towns and interesting places to visit.

Cousins: One Fine Day chick movie for the two teenage girls, Mighty Ducks movie for the pre-teen boy, and microwave popcorn for all of them.

Aunt and Uncle #2: the book "Don't you hate that?" list of annoying-but-funny events in life.

Uncle #3: the grilling utensils set I got when I opened up my newest bank account.

Aunt #3: Elvis impersonation book. She's got that kind of sense of humor. It'll have to be mailed to her 'cause she's in Florida.

Cousins: horse-themed music CDs for one cousin and two nice bracelets for the other.

Grandparents #1: Photo Oops book of politicians' photo shoots gone awry.

Grandparents #2: inspirational romance novel for my grandma, two photojournalism books from the '80s for my photographer grandpa.

Mentor: matted artwork of an Amish woman hanging laundry.

Close female friend #1: Ohio-themed cookbooks and spices because she's moving to Montana, book "How to lose a guy in 10 days" (funnier than the movie), and the migrant workers photo documentary book Growing Season.

Close male friend #1: entire Mark Twain collection in one volume, scented candle. (He drug me through Yankee Candle three years ago on Christmas Eve even though he knew I hated candle stores.
)

Close male friend #2: rotating remote/stuff holder for his dorm room at MVNU, giant carabiner that's useful for a lot of things.

Close male friend #3: book on history of Islam, book on history of a branch of the military in Ohio.

Close female friend #2: not sure yet because I don't see her till this weekend and haven't found anything for her.

Nursing home residents: a floral shirt with bell sleeves for #1, a comedian who's just as funny if you have bad eyes like #2, hymn collections for #3, Luciano Pavarotti (sp) CD and Billie Holiday biography for #4, and I knew #5 wouldn't be there last weekend so I'm still looking for her gift.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Husband: a grasshopper statue made out of recycled tools (pliers, wrenches, nuts and bolts, etc)

Mom: fave perfume and a pretty pin

Dad: long underwear

Brother: a book on photography and a Naruto action figure

BFF: a CD she wanted and some funky Japanese candies

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
It looks like I give presents to a lot more people than some of you do, or you didn't list all the presents you give to extended relatives and some friends.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I only had two people to give gifts to this year since my parents are ignoring me:

Bf's mom: 20th anniverary Oprah DVDs

BF: Tie-dye Led Zeppelin Tee shirt

Remote controled UFO from Sharper Image

Remote controlled Blimp

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
I made my parents, grandma, brother, sister, and inlaws bunches of sweets. We didn't go all out like last year (we made pies, chocolates and candy the year before) because I don't know how to veganize most of those yet but we did make six different kinds of cookies and brownies. I had wanted to make some pies but we ran out of time (and energy).

My SO got a second edition pack of Serial Killer trading cards. He used to have the first print ones when they came out but lost them. I also got him this really nice black and silver wooden scrabble game. It was pricey as all get out but we love that game.

My BFF got a Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bobblehead figure (She loves him
), her 8 y/o son got some real Civil War bullets from the fields of Gettesburg in a glass case (He's a lil Civil War buff), her 3 y/o twins got these cow and pig slingshot animals that 'moo' and 'oink' when they move and some sillyputty and some other fun things, and her 20mo. old got a fuzzy stuffed animal.

I wish I could have had the money this year to get more things for people because I LOVE finding things that remind me of my friends/family but money is super tight right now.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I am usually pretty out of control when it comes to gift-giving, but this year I went REALLY overboard... not only did I have a lot of people to buy for, but I spent a lot of money on each person, plus had 2 pollyannas - one for family and one for work...

*Mom: shirt, slippers, candy, trip to Longwood Gardens and show tix for the musical "All Shook Up"

*Dad: James Bond DVD box set (the big one, with every movie), Bond 30th Anniversary soundtrack, candy, slippers, fake mustaches and a lump of coal (lol)

Gramma: some really nice Jesus picture, bracelets made of wooden beads with tiny pictures of saints and other religious stuff painted on each one, collage of pictures of me, my mom & sis that we made

*Sis: pug bank, Carousel snow globe, set of lip gloss + candle + set of 3-in-1 shampoo/bubble bath/shower gel from B&B Works

*Nephew: nature/wildlife/science books, Spongebob stuff, candy, some slime stuff that I'm sure my sis will have a fun time cleaning out of the carpet...

*Ex B-I-L: Kissology DVD

*Veterinarian: silver rat necklace, kitty cat bank, creepy little voodoo doll keychain, rat calendar

*B/Fs Mom: "Last Train To Memphis" book, really pretty pink sapphire ring and necklace set

*B/Fs: Gramma: slippers, candy, Deal or No Deal game, Liz Taylor perfume

*BFs Cousin: "Son of a Witch" book and some purse she wanted

*Her fiancee: Iron Maiden wall art and "Best of GLOW" DVD, plus a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon (he was my pollyanna)

*BF: this is ridiculous... a metric ton of books, Creepy Crawlers bug maker (he's 22, but he really wanted it...), boxers, tshirts, silver leopard print tie, Marvel Zombies hoodie, Poe & Hannibal Lecter action figures, Transformers box set (every episode, plus movie), Blitzkid CD, Ed Hardy tattoo shot glasses, case of VeganSweets marshmallows, Fisher Space pen, Herban Cowboy cologne and after shave and seriously a ton of other stuff I can't even remember....

PLUS, others who aren't "immediate family" all got one of these nice little baskets that I made up, which contained homemade vegan cookies, peppermint foot soak, mint cocoa + mug, sachets, candles, bath bombs, Method stuff, etc...

...and still, I am pretty sure I left some stuff out....

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Wow, some of you guys have pretty big lists!

Mom (likes to cook): a Shun paring knife (she called me the next day to tell me how great it was), silicone drop-on bowl covers, mini spatulas, a special measuring cup for gooey stuff, Almost Vegetarian cookbook

Mr. Tess (wanted nothing but climbing gear): gift certificate to REI, scooter repair manual for his new scooter, cool computer chip print t-shirt from www.computergear.com. Plus a grab bag of cheap candy and stuff to open Xmas morning.

Brother, SIL, Niece & Nephew (9 and 7): a large sum of money in the kids' college funds, plus a grab bag each of small inexpensive stocking-stuffer-type toys so they have something fun to open. (I do this every year as my gift to the whole family, and Mr. Tess gets my bro and SIL a small gift, usually some kind of book)

Friend #1 (is on a low-carb diet): custom gift basket with pickled vegetables, mixed nut snacks, larabars, raw "krackers," scented candle

Friend #2: gift bag with a scented candle, gourmet chocolates and hot cocoa, mixed nut snacks. Also got a box set of the first 3 Lemony Snicket books for her 6yo daughter.

Cousin in Seattle: Gift box of jam, salsa, and sauce from a local Texas farm

Honestly, I don't think I've ever bought a present for any of my grandparents or my aunts and uncles, and I usually don't buy gifts for cousins, either. We just don't buy gifts for extended family. I have so little contact with most of them that it would be meaningless, anyway. And Mr. Tess does the gifts for his side of the family, so I haven't listed them.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Just naming a few...

Mom & Dad: Various restaurant gift certs, digital camera, organic fruit & chocolate, candles, slippers

Bro: Nice gift cert for the Guitar Center

Friend: Hardcover new release she'd been wanting w/ organic chocolates

Ex: Stuff On My Cat book & Calendar and a kitty toy

Guy I'm seeing: Guitar stand

That's all I can think of for now

1 - 20 of 25 Posts