VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know beans and legumes are supposed to be filling because of their protein content, but the only thing that really seems to fill me (not so I'm full, but so I'm not hungry) is porridge. I eat it or breakfast every morning I work, and afterward, lunch and dinner are satisfying enough generally.

However, this weekend I've had fruit and raisin toast for breakfast each day, and I've just been crazy insatiably hungry the whole weekend. I miss it in the mornings, and I'm thrown off for the whole day - nothing fills me. I've noticed this a few weekends.

Why is porridge the only vegetarian food I've found that is filling enough?

What does it for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

I know beans and legumes are supposed to be filling because of their protein content, but the only thing that really seems to fill me (not so I'm full, but so I'm not hungry) is porridge. I eat it or breakfast every morning I work, and afterward, lunch and dinner are satisfying enough generally.

However, this weekend I've had fruit and raisin toast for breakfast each day, and I've just been crazy insatiably hungry the whole weekend. I miss it in the mornings, and I'm thrown off for the whole day - nothing fills me. I've noticed this a few weekends.

Why is porridge the only vegetarian food I've found that is filling enough?

What does it for you?
As far as fruit and raisin bread in the am....that is awesome, but you rbody will use it up as an energy source very quickly. Adding fat to your breakfast will keep you full longer. So try putting a nut butter on you raisin toast (peanut, almond or cashew) or have a 1/2 handful of nuts as you eat your breakfast.

If I was to guess, you may be active (athlete, working out etc) and this could be another reason why you are hungry quicker. You look toned whcih means yo have muscle that NEEDS food, when this happens and you are only putting low calorie foods into you it grab that and uses it very fast.


So, young lady.....keep doing what you are doing and add more meals (every 3-5 hours) to your day and also add more fats (nuts, nut butters, dressings) to your meals) and you will be fine. In reality you will actually feel much better - more energy. Energy makes Energy!


Good Luck!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,981 Posts
Mexican food! A spicy bean burrito with refried beans, vegan cheeze, mexican rice, lettuce, tomato and onion with spicy salsa wrapped in a hot flour tortilla is the most filling thing on earth. I have 'em for breakfast lunch and dinner.

And of course there's falafel and hummous in a pita with some salad and tahini sauce...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,614 Posts
so it seems like you're looking for breakfast foods.

i usually have a cup of coffee and some kind of a bread/ cheese combo and that seems to work well.

or pancakes

and if you can eat serious breakfast tofu scramble and sweet potato home fries are pretty awesome.

i like a filling breakfast myself, oatmeal or cereal just don't do it for me either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Lately I've been eating a small bowl of steel cut oats along with a smoothie, which consists of fruit, dates, nuts, ground flax seeds, and spinach. Yeah, I'm a piggy, but this seems to do it for me for a few hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Ugh, I used to eat oatmeal with apple, raisin, nuts, soymilk, and found it TOO filling, even though it was just a small bowl. I get the same feeling from pasta, so I avoid that too. I just hate feeling "full" I guess.

For breakfast, I stick to sprouted grain toast with a nut butter and raisins, and a piece of fruit, usually apple or orange. It keeps me going through the morning and hungry enough to eat a good size lunch around 1 or 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspickle View Post

Ugh, I used to eat oatmeal with apple, raisin, nuts, soymilk, and found it TOO filling, even though it was just a small bowl. I get the same feeling from pasta, so I avoid that too. I just hate feeling "full" I guess.

For breakfast, I stick to sprouted grain toast with a nut butter and raisins, and a piece of fruit, usually apple or orange. It keeps me going through the morning and hungry enough to eat a good size lunch around 1 or 2.
Same here. Even a plate of lettuce fills me up. I hate feeling full.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post

Same here. Even a plate of lettuce fills me up. I hate feeling full.
I hope that's a really heaping plate of lettuce that you're talking about!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34 Posts
I can "Pig out" on carbs and still feel like I could eat more.

But a small amount of nuts or beans seems to do the trick; a small amount of protein and I'm satisfied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Water tends to fill me up so much that I cannot finish my meal. Maybe if you suck on a 24 oz bottle of water with your breakfast, you will be full.

Chocolate fills me up too lol

But I doubt you'll be willing to eat that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,341 Posts
i like oatmeal, life cereal with full-fat soy milk, kashi tlc granola bars with a latte, whole grain toast with butter or peanut butter, peanut butter sammich on whole grain bread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

(I thought porridge was oatmeal!?)
It is, but as an American, I did not realize this until recently. I always thought it was some kind of Malt-o-Meal that I was not familiar with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I said oatmeal on here (even though we say porridge in Australia) because I didn't want to confuse everyone! I think also, porridge can be made from a few different things, such as rice, wheras I think oatmeal is specifically oat-porridge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Mexican food! A spicy bean burrito with refried beans, vegan cheeze, mexican rice, lettuce, tomato and onion with spicy salsa wrapped in a hot flour tortilla is the most filling thing on earth. I have 'em for breakfast lunch and dinner.

And of course there's falafel and hummous in a pita with some salad and tahini sauce...
Actually I have to say, mexican is one other thing that fills me up. But maybe I'm saying that because last time I had it I ate 3 burritos..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Granola is the only food i cant eat very much of. A half bowl keeps me full for hours, any more than that and i get indigestion!Is that just me?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Well, a burrito and some fruit does the trick for me. I can't stand restuarant sized meals.

Also, this morning I had 2 slices of toast, an apple, and some bran flakes with raisins. That filled me up nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
Doesn't take much to fill me up. I have a tempermental stomach


For lunch today I had a multigrain bagel with soy-cheeze and a peach and I'm feeling quite stuffed. Again though, my belly is weird, and it's also 12 yrs conditioned to eat veg*n food.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top