VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to stay at a hospital for a few days & have surgery. And right before, I remembered that I had heard somewhere that Jell-O had animal in it. That's weird to me. If I hadn't randomly heard it somewhere, I would have never known! So I was wondering if you guys could post some other foods/products that people often forget have animal in them.

I know Jell-O, and I read on here somewhere gummy bears too? And frosted mini wheats? Is this true?

Also chapstick? Peta's website sells "vegan chapstick", what does over the counter chapstick contain??

EDITED TO ADD: Marshmallows? Do those contain animal?

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Here's a starter page to animal ingredients, http://www.vnv.org.au/AnimalProducts.htm. Just do an online search for animal products or animal ingredients.

Animal products are generally too numerous to say what does and does not. I tend to use the rule, "if I don't know what it is, I don't eat it." So I look at ingredients and verify that I know what they all are and where they come from. For example, Jello (and lots of gummie candies) contain gelatin (read what that is on the link).

I have found gummie type candies that contain vegetable gelatin, though. So it's best to read and research.

Also it's sometimes difficult to really say whether product X is vegan (or vegetarian) or not, since some are location specific (as in the same product has different ingredients depending on country).

Also a thing like "Vitamin E" could be animal derived or not, so to me it's important to know what the ingredients are of a product and what they're derived from...

I couldn't really say on the chapstick (it really depends) some have dairy products in them, some bees wax, some lanolin (I think?), and probably lots of others.

Another aspect (I'm not sure if you're vegan or vegetarian or if animal rights are important to you), but products being tested on animals is another area that I and many others find important, beyond just not eating animals.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielDiana View Post

I just had to stay at a hospital for a few days & have surgery. And right before, I remembered that I had heard somewhere that Jell-O had animal in it. That's weird to me. If I hadn't randomly heard it somewhere, I would have never known! So I was wondering if you guys could post some other foods/products that people often forget have animal in them.

I know Jell-O, and I read on here somewhere gummy bears too? And frosted mini wheats? Is this true?

Also chapstick? Peta's website sells "vegan chapstick", what does over the counter chapstick contain??

EDITED TO ADD: Marshmallows? Do those contain animal?
I think every single one of those contain gelatin, which comes from the connective tissue of animals. Others can point you towards long lists of hidden ingredients, most of which I don't know yet, either, but gelatin is the one really obvious one that's in lots and lots of stuff.

--Fromper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts