VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious what people pay for their energy bills (gas/electric).

I pay between $28-$36 monthly for gas and electric costs monthly. There are 2-3 people living here in a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment. There are periods of time where I am the only one here, and other times where there are 4 people staying for a week at a time and such.

We do not use the heater or have any air conditioning. We have no microwave or iron or blow dryer. We don't use an outside porch light most of the time. We shut things off when we leave the room and conserve in general. If I could get the girls to turn off the TV before they do to bed instead of falling asleep with it on, I think we'd be able to shave down out bill a bit more too.

What do you pay? What kind of energy do you use (gas, electric, solar)?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
If the monthly bills for electricity were that low here, I wouldn't always be renting flats that have heat and power included. I've heard of people paying close to 200$ a month, especially in winter, for electricity.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Gas and electricity are about $75 per month each. Winters are long here, so the gas heat is a must. I've just switched from an electric water heater to a gas fired "on demand" water heater, which should lower my electric bill a lot and raise my gas bill slightly.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
We're on a payment plan but it's insane, I'm sure. We keep the heat at 60-65 and try to heat small spaces with space heaters rather than turn up the gas heat, but we live in upstate NY where the temperature doesn't reach freezing for months in the winter.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Mine looks like words and numbers on a piece of paper.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just paid the electric bill for our AZ home, it was $85.00 (don't remember the exact change). Everything in the house is electric and we also have a pool that is running year round (though not heated and it only runs about 7 hours per day right now). I rarely use the heat in winter though, has to be pretty cold. In the summer it is about $200.00, keep the a/c at 78-79 for the furkids, I would have it higher if just me. The pool runs about 10 hours per day during the summer, supposed to run one hour per each 10 degrees of temperature during the hottest part of the day. It's a 3br, 2bath, 7 rooms total on one floor.

Last month we closed on a house in FL and I will be moving there later on this year (hubby has a new job in Naples so we'll be renting out the AZ home-I hope!). The bill there for almost a month I think was also about $85.00. It has a pool (running 10 hours per day and it's heated but the heat is generated by solar) and everything is electric. This house has the same amount of rooms all on one floor but is about 300 sq ft larger. I'll be curious what we keep the a/c on during the summer because I love hot weather (it's why I moved to AZ) but hate humidity...

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Well, mine won the Annual Energy Bill Beauty Pageant both in 2005 and 2009. Just saying.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Well, mine won the Annual Energy Bill Beauty Pageant both in 2005 and 2009. Just saying.
Mine is soooo gonna win this year.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
My town groups all kinds of stuff into one bill (electricity, garbage pickup, water/sewer, etc). That runs less than $100 until summer hits and then it goes up to about $150.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Mine looks like words and numbers on a piece of paper.
Bah, mine is on parchment. They discontinued the engraved stone tablets because gasoline costs have risen so much and it was a killer to deliver them.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
My bills range from $125-$175 in the summer--but apparently in the winter they jump to $385.... sadly that's with me keeping the temperature at 62-64 degrees, although somehow my next door neighbor only spent $275/month for a similar setup--keeping her house at 85 degrees in the winter... Basically we think the company doesn't read anything, rather they "guess" based on the neighbors, and then do things. People on equalizer has about $220 monthly payments, even someone with a house with no air.

Although my bills are about 1/2 that of when my parents lived here, they kept the temperature and such much different.

·
Registered
703 Posts
We don't have gas all we have is electric. Here in North Idaho in the winter our bill for a small two bedroom one bath is about $200. In the summer it is about $40, our house is situated in a fairly cool place for summer weather with lots of trees so no need for A/C.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Bah, mine is on parchment. They discontinued the engraved stone tablets because gasoline costs have risen so much and it was a killer to deliver them.
Parchment's not veg*n! Go with papyrus.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Parchment's not veg*n! Go with papyrus.
My utility company does not yet offer papyrus as an option for customers who are ethically opposed to parchment.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm kinda surprised that as a mod you're engaging in off topic banter that is usually discouraged when non-mods do it. Interesting.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts