VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. Don't discuss any illegal activities, just discuss the morals and stuff like that of the ALF. Personally, I love what they do (see my avatar), but I know veg*ns both for and against it. Also, sorry if this isn't allowed. I looked for rules that said I can't post this, and I couldn't find anything
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
It's an honest, well intentioned expenditure of energy, but a person could work extremely hard for many years at the risk of imprisonment and end up sparing fewer animals than you could in less than an hour by raising awareness about these issues and converting a few people to vegetarianism, since every new veg*n is a major victory for the animals and a dent in the pockets of animal agribusiness.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,709 Posts
I think their purpose goes beyond the rescue of the animal(s) in and of itself. The Britches video, for example, is a fairly useful tool for showing otherwise unknowing people exactly what kind of things are going on. Beyond that, I think I'll duck out of this conversation. Ask me again after I'm out of the military and thus more able to speak my opinion on a public forum :p
 

· Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Well... all I know about them is the stuff that's perceived as negative.

And, in essence, no matter how much good they're doing, the fact that I - and most omnivores - only know of their so-called "terrorist" acts means that they're giving a bad face to Animal Activism. The point isn't to tear down the physical establishments, one by one - rather, to create a social change. Negative associations do only bad.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
Agree with Josh. You can help a lot more non-human animals by making new veg*ns. Plus I think the sometimes violent tactics of the ALF totally miss the point.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Agree with Josh. You can help a lot more non-human animals by making new veg*ns. Plus I think the sometimes violent tactics of the ALF totally miss the point.
What would be considered "violent"?

1. TO liberate animals from places of abuse, i.e. laboratories, factory farms, fur farms, etc, and place them in good homes where they may live out their natural lives, free from suffering.

2. TO inflict economic damage to those who profit from the misery and exploitation of animals.

3. TO reveal the horror and atrocities committed against animals behind locked doors, by performing non-violent direct actions and liberations.

4. TO take all necessary precautions against harming any animal, human and non-human.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

What would be considered "violent"?

1. TO liberate animals from places of abuse, i.e. laboratories, factory farms, fur farms, etc, and place them in good homes where they may live out their natural lives, free from suffering.

2. TO inflict economic damage to those who profit from the misery and exploitation of animals.

3. TO reveal the horror and atrocities committed against animals behind locked doors, by performing non-violent direct actions and liberations.

4. TO take all necessary precautions against harming any animal, human and non-human.
5. TO bomb buildings...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...es-412366.html

Violence.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

What would be considered "violent"?

1. TO liberate animals from places of abuse, i.e. laboratories, factory farms, fur farms, etc, and place them in good homes where they may live out their natural lives, free from suffering.

2. TO inflict economic damage to those who profit from the misery and exploitation of animals.

3. TO reveal the horror and atrocities committed against animals behind locked doors, by performing non-violent direct actions and liberations.

4. TO take all necessary precautions against harming any animal, human and non-human.
Depends on how those things are undertaken. For example inflicting economic damage or rescuing animals by bombing buildings or threatening personnel is violence.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Bombing/arson(not that I support that) is an effective way of ensuring the cages wont be immediately filled again, and could potentially result in the closing of the facility. As far as personal threats are concerned... people who take part in that are not part of the ALF - no matter who they say they are. Liberate animals, reveal the atrocities to the public, inflict economical damage to whomever profits from the suffering of animals, never harm anyone... human or non.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

Bombing/arson(not that I support that) is an effective way of ensuring the cages wont be immediately filled again, and could potentially result in the closing of the facility.
Maybe. But it's also an effective way to allow omnivores to categorize all activism as terrorist extremism.
I think it's better to protect the image of the AR movement than to temporarily take out an insignificant portion of what is the problem.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

Maybe. But it's also an effective way to allow omnivores to categorize all activism as terrorist extremism.
I think it's better to protect the image of the AR movement than to temporarily take out an insignificant portion of what is the problem.
It is extreme, but we've gotten to the point extreme actions are a necessity. Are we even allowed to take video footage from farms without going to prison anymore? At what point do they attempt to have any footage removed from the internet(which happens to be some of the most influential material online)? We're trying to do everything we can legally do to educate the public. Aside from killing us, the industries are doing everything they can do to shut us up... and they're much more powerful.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

Seriously
Glad you could join us. Care to shed some(non-insulting) light on the matter?
No.

I know how people on this forum view ALF. And it's a losing battle. It's better for us to go to the ALF forum to discuss our opinions.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

No.

I know how people on this forum view ALF. And it's a losing battle. It's better for us to go to the ALF forum to discuss our opinions.
I suppose so... It's been pretty dead over there lately. We'll have to go over when Kim gets back and get it up and running again.
 
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top