VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'd like to know what the general vegan census is of vegetarians. I've been to forums in the past that had a very elitist view, where vegetarians were looked down on by the vegan community. Do you look down on vegetarians perhaps for not cutting out more animal-products? Obviously this is a subjective question, but even so it'd be nice to hear what you each think.

I've seen a lot of comments regarding free-range chickens and consumption of dairy products that almost seem like a dig at vegetarianism. I must say that I have a lot of respect & admiration for vegans. I'm aspiring to make the transition one day, but for the moment I remain a vegetarian.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
There have been a number of threads in the past posing this exact same question, and none of them have turned out nicely.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that, I don't want to open old wounds or stir up any new trouble. I'm just generally interested.

11,550 Posts
perhaps it would be more pertinant to use the search function to see what was previously discussed, than to start a new discussion on the issue?

if you decide you want to close your thread, just ask a mod. if you decide to keep it open.... lol... erm... how can i put it?.... brace yourself.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have respect for them, I personally just went vegan, but even if I had been vegan for a few years I would still respect them. In my opinion they own just for cutting out meat, and hopefully one day they'll cut out dairy products (ect) too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I like vegetarians. I'm married to one.
Personally I see vegetarians as being on 'our side' against omnivorism and I think that any step anyone takes to eat fewer animals is a good thing.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
FTR, I'm supportive and respectful of vegetarians, and I'm a vegan.

Derwenna's right, imo, that any effort a person can make to lessen the death and suffering of animals in the world is helpful.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I think lacto-ovo-vegetarians (if they do it for ethical reasons) are doing something to protest the way animals are treated - they may express non-mainstream ethical values with their consumer choices, question the killing of animals for meat. This makes me view them as different from omnis.

But the dairy and egg industries are horribly cruel, especially in the US, and death is a pretty necessary part of both of them. So eating dairy and eggs doesn't belong to what I would want this world to become - and in addition to all the suffering and death involved, eating dairy and eggs maintains the idea that animals are property, means for human ends and objects.

But what anyone thinks of lacto-ovo-vegetarians should be inessential. What matters is what people think about lacto-ovo-vegetarianism.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not everyone has the willpower to become vegan overnight. Some people become vegetarian first. After they have gotten use to living without meat, they work on eliminating other animal products from their life. I was a vegetarian for almost four years before I made the transition to vegan. I know that not all vegetarians will become vegans, but some of them will. Even if they never decide to become vegan, IMO vegetarians are doing less harm than omnivores. I commend them for their efforts.

It is important to remember that being vegan does not mean that your are a better or worse person than a vegetarian or an omnivore. It only means that you have different beliefs about food and animals.

·
Registered
200 Posts
^^^ Ditto

I started out as Vegetarian, and so did my husband. I'm thankful for having a "mid-point" in order to make the transition to vegan that much easier. Yay vegetarians!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojob1969 View Post

Not everyone has the willpower to become vegan overnight. Some people become vegetarian first. After they have gotten use to living without meat, they work on eliminating other animal products from their life.
Yes but some of us are fine with just being vegetarian and never want to go vegan.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yeah-- this subject really causes some tempers to flare up. I just came in to see what some of the answers were.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

Yes but some of us are fine with just being vegetarian and never want to go vegan.
Yes, I realize that. That is why I also wrote:
Quote:
I know that not all vegetarians will become vegans, but some of them will. Even if they never decide to become vegan, IMO vegetarians are doing less harm than omnivores. I commend them for their efforts.

It is important to remember that being vegan does not mean that your are a better or worse person than a vegetarian or an omnivore. It only means that you have different beliefs about food and animals.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I've gone back and forth between vegetarianism and veganism a few times. I'm vegan now but I completely respect lacto-ovo vegetarians for doing what they are doing! Obviously, I know where you are coming from!

By the way, a couple of years ago I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian who said I planned to never be vegan, and thought I had found the ideal way of eating. Now I'm vegan again, and never plan to go back. I think the important thing is that we keep our eyes and minds open throughout this journey.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

By the way, a couple of years ago I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian who said I planned to never be vegan, and thought I had found the ideal way of eating. Now I'm vegan again, and never plan to go back. I think the important thing is that we keep our eyes and minds open throughout this journey.
Me too colorful, well said. I was a lacto-ovo veg for 5 years before I had even considered becoming vegan. And it really was a journey and learning process for me..I agree completely!

1 - 20 of 169 Posts