VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking with a friend, and he said he was at a concert and there was a tent there. Outside stands one person with a sign saying "Watch this video, and you will get a dollar." So some teens come in. Something similar to meet your meat or earthlings is playing on a TV. The people watch for 5 minutes, go and get their dollar. Now the message is imprinted with them, no matter what. Maybe they will change.

I was considering doing this. I think it seems very effective. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Sounds like you are tricking people into watching a terrible video. It will not get you any new vegans, sorry, people will just resent you.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

Sounds like you are tricking people into watching a terrible video. It will not get you any new vegans, sorry, people will just resent you.
I think people need a warning before watching graphic documentaries.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

The idea of paying people so that they will watch something they would not otherwise watch seems VERY wrong to me.

Unnecesary also ...

A sign saying something like "see the film THEY do not want you to see" would work just as well and that would make getting the film an audience absolutely free.

Not a dissimilar trick to the one that goes "the following film may offend some people" when they have something that no one would watch otherwise about to be shown on TV.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

The idea of paying people so that they will watch something they would not otherwise watch seems VERY wrong to me.
^Agreed along with all the other replies especially the fact that people should be warned before being exposed to something graphic like that. I'd be pissed if someone tricked me like that. I would be even more upset if I had small children with me and saw it without warning.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

A sign saying something like "see the film THEY do not want you to see" would work just as well and that would make getting the film an audience absolutely free.
I agree with this! It would work for me

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would implement that in order to continue eating meat, each person must kill & slaughter one of each animals that they like to ingest...all by themselves.
Same goes for fur & leather lovers.

After all, don't we vegs/vegans work hard to prepare our own food??

...just saying.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Other than thinking that it seems a bit lame to have to pay people to watch an animal activism video, I don't have a huge problem with this.

personal responsibilty is the issue here. Nobody is forcing anyone into the tent to watch, they are volunteering to watch so they can get a dollar. If it turns out to be a video that is distasteful to them, they have take the blame for that themselves.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I think a better way to go about things is to give away free stuff, ie recipes, cookies, etc.
Deceit and bribery would totally turn me away from becoming vegetarian.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

So I was talking with a friend, and he said he was at a concert and there was a tent there. Outside stands one person with a sign saying "Watch this video, and you will get a dollar." So some teens come in. Something similar to meet your meat or earthlings is playing on a TV. The people watch for 5 minutes, go and get their dollar. Now the message is imprinted with them, no matter what. Maybe they will change.

That sounds expensive.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
welllll, I'm 19 (well in about a week hehe) & even if I was "tricked" into seeing Earthling or Meet your Meat it would still open my eyes.
In my opinion the fact that I was getting a $1 from watching it wouldn't change what I was actually seeing.... that is just me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah, this could get expensive. But if you have the money I think it's a neat idea.
Others are probably right in saying to give some kind of warning that the film contains sensitive subject matter. Giving money or stuff away to people who agree to watch the film would definitely draw more people in, people who wouldn't otherwise bother to stop and watch.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If they know the video is about killing animals, they will not want to watch it. Thats why you don't tell them. Common sense anyone?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I don't think this is anything too negative that it shouldn't be done, but paying people to watch AR videos isn't something I would get involved in as an activist. I think it could be counterproductive in some cases.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:

I think this is the program you are talking about. It's called pay-per-view.

http://www.vegfund.org/video-faq.html

This site has the actual video they use, it's free to download: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/paid-per-view.aspx

I think it's a good idea.

People aren't ambushed into watching a video where they have no idea what it's about. In fact, one guy eating a hamburger said he was going to use the dollar to buy a chicken sandwich. After watching the video he wasn't able to finish the burger and threw it away. He said he wasn't sure he could eat meat again.
So, it is effective.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:

If they know the video is about killing animals, they will not want to watch it. Thats why you don't tell them. Common sense anyone?
And you don't think there are any legitimate reasons people may not want to be exposed to gore?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

And you don't think there are any legitimate reasons people may not want to be exposed to gore?
Oh, there are. But if people are eating meat, I think they should at least feel guilty about it

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

People want to and have a right to be warned before viewing graphic disturbing images.

There are other ways to go about this without being deceitful.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't really think it's dishonest, it doesn't take a genius to work out if someone is paying you to watch something, it's something you wouldn't voluntairily want to watch. People have the choice to either not go in, to ask about what's being shown (ie: is there anything gory/graphic) or to walk out. As long as they don't let children in, I don't have a problem with it, although I'd prefer it if there was a warning of graphic images before hand, so people could walk out before the film began too.

That said it is a very expensive way to reaching people, and I wonder if it'll just draw in people who want to prove they can sit through it (rumour would get around pretty quick about what the actual film was of) and not be affected, and scare away more sensitive people who would probally be more likley to be affected. I can see how it could work, if you got people to watch the movie and then provided information on going vegetarian afterwards (or just having one vegetarian meal a week) and discuss it with people - people are easily swayed with emotive videos, but you need substantial convicing and helpful information to allow people to actually do something based on their reaction to the film... if that makes sense.

It's not something I'd support, it's just not my style, but then it's movies like earthlings/etc that seem to have convinced a lot of people here so it does seem to work - even if it wouldn't for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.