VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week Oprah featured Barak Obama and his wife for the entire hour.

She had film of Obama and his wife visiting four places in Africa,

where they know and love him (his father was born in Africa). At each

place, guess what they did? In front of the large crowds he and his wife

got tested for HIV, out in the open for all to see. There is a huge stigma

over there against getting tested, and Obama hoped this would help change

their minds. Great idea!

He's very funny and personable and has a deep presidential voice, even

though he's young. I like him. And I like the fact that he is bi-racial. I

think his wife is also. They have Chinese-Canadian relatives, and he says

at family gatherings some of them look like Bernie Mac and some look like

Margaret Thatcher.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,022 Posts
He has not accomplished a thing. I'm sure he is a great guy, but I kinda get the feeling some people on the left like him because of his color, and nothing more. Still hear a lot plantaion-esque talk from the left when oit comes to politicians like this. I hear things like "He is so well spoken." Well, duh, he is a politician, not a trained chimp. Don't act surprised.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,934 Posts
"Disappointing."

I agree with Tame, people are so amazed when a person of color is well-spoken. Ooooh! *slaps head*
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

He has not accomplished a thing. I'm sure he is a great guy, but I kinda get the feeling some people on the left like him because of his color, and nothing more. Still hear a lot plantaion-esque talk from the left when oit comes to politicians like this. I hear things like "He is so well spoken." Well, duh, he is a politician, not a trained chimp. Don't act surprised.
Do you find that he often uses big words, but uses them wrong?

Just curious.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Still hear a lot plantaion-esque talk from the left when oit comes to politicians like this. I hear things like "He is so well spoken." Well, duh, he is a politician, not a trained chimp. Don't act surprised.
I was going to say the same sort of thing earlier, but didn't want to instigate any backandforth that I don't have the energy to get into!

He's charismatic and strong. He hasn't accomplished much (relative) mostly because he's a junior and a minority at the same time. That said, he has managed to make a name for himself through his actions. Time will tell if that's just a flash in the pan. I'm optimistic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

He has not accomplished a thing. I'm sure he is a great guy, but I kinda get the feeling some people on the left like him because of his color, and nothing more. Still hear a lot plantaion-esque talk from the left when oit comes to politicians like this. I hear things like "He is so well spoken." Well, duh, he is a politician, not a trained chimp. Don't act surprised.
well i don't get the impressions you get. I believe people are attracted to him because he is a deep thinker and apparently writes well too. his intelligence, good looks, thoughtfullness and being from a new generation adds up to charisma. W on the other hand cannot speak. HE is in fact a trained chimp
hasn't accomplished a thing? well i guess editing the Harvard Law Review, being a law professor, a community organizer and a US Senator are not accomplishments?

David Brooks, the conservative columnist came away from his several discussions with Obama being very impressed with the man's intellectual depth and character (despite the fact that they disagree on most everything.) he urged him to run for President in his newspaper column in the New York Times.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

David Brooks, the conservative columnist ... urged him to run for President in his newspaper column in the New York Times.
Most liberal columnists would like to see someone unelectable run on the republican ticket, what is your point?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
He's not just well spoken because he's black, he's a way better communicator and orator than anyone else on the left, bar none. His message is a very positive, inclusive, and hopeful one.

I saw him in the Illinois Senate race. Alan Keyes was a nutjob, but Obama would have beaten whoever the Illinois Republicans threw against him (and the next best thing they had was, apparently, Mike Ditka
).

His future appears to be very bright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Most liberal columnists would like to see someone unelectable run on the republican ticket, what is your point?
that wasn't Brooks' point at all. so, you apparently did not read the article, which praised his special gifts and urged him to run because he might well be the type of person needed at this time in history.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Do you find that he often uses big words, but uses them wrong?
I have heard that criticism, but I honestly have not paid close enough attention to see if it is warranted.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

well i don't get the impressions you get. I believe people are attracted to him because he is a deep thinker and apparently writes well too. his intelligence, good looks, thoughtfullness and being from a new generation adds up to charisma. W on the other hand cannot speak. HE is in fact a trained chimp
hasn't accomplished a thing? well i guess editing the Harvard Law Review, being a law professor, a community organizer and a US Senator are not accomplishments?
Editor of the Harvard Law Review? Nice, but isn't there one of those every year? Not exactly a stellar political accomplishment, which is relevant context considering we are discussing his presidential aspirations.

Law professor? That alone doesn't make him presidential material.

US Senator? Getting warmer. But what has he reall accomplished so far? What has he done as a senator to warrant this attention?

Nigel mention he is still a junior rep and that is my point. There are white reps who have accomplished just as much at this point their career. Where is there hype?

It comes down to race plain and simple.

I just wish people could cite what he has done, rather than what he is, as a reason to support him. Do that, and a lot more of us might support him, and his chance of winning someday would be better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Editor of the Harvard Law Review? Nice, but isn't there one of those every year? Not exactly a stellar political accomplishment, which is relevant context considering we are discussing his presidential aspirations.

Law professor? That alone doesn't make him presidential material.

US Senator? Getting warmer. But what has he reall accomplished so far? What has he done as a senator to warrant this attention?

Nigel mention he is still a junior rep and that is my point. There are white reps who have accomplished just as much at this point their career. Where is there hype?

It comes down to race plain and simple.

I just wish people could cite what he has done, rather than what he is, as a reason to support him. Do that, and a lot more of us might support him, and his chance of winning someday would be better.
you stated above in your prior post that you don't pay that much attention to him and that is apparent to me. i think he is a fascinating person and an intelligent, charismatic person. i think he is very authentic. i think your conviction that people are supporting him because he is part black isn't that valid. i'm mixed race myself, maybe i have a bright political future based upon that alone? hah, doubtful. if he was a doofus he wouldn't be generating the excitement he generates with people. it is because of his gifts.

George W Bush was a one term governor of Texas when he was elected president. His lone accomplishment other than that was to be put in charge of a baseball team while financed by his dad's friends. did you think that disqualified him from being President? did you believe that the only reason he was being supported was because he was Republican and well financed (which was the case hehe)

Obama is a special person and I think I agree with Mr. Brooks who said "Run Barack Run"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

you stated above in your prior post that you don't pay that much attention to him and that is apparent to me. i think he is a fascinating person and an intelligent, charismatic person. i think he is very authentic. i think your conviction that people are supporting him because he is part black isn't that valid. i'm mixed race myself, maybe i have a bright political future based upon that alone? hah, doubtful. if he was a doofus he wouldn't be generating the excitement he generates with people. it is because of his gifts.
Wholly non-descript. What's the point?

Quote:
George W Bush was a one term governor of Texas when he was elected president. His lone accomplishment other than that was to be put in charge of a baseball team while financed by his dad's friends. did you think that disqualified him from being President? did you believe that the only reason he was being supported was because he was Republican and well financed (which was the case hehe)

Obama is a special person and I think I agree with Mr. Brooks who said "Run Barack Run"
Uh, W is the child of a former president and head of the CIA. He's a child of the American family who has more financial connections with the Middle East than any other.

"Run Barrack Run?" He may as well have said "Run Ni**** Run." It would be equally patronizing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

you stated above in your prior post that you don't pay that much attention to him and that is apparent to me. i think he is a fascinating person and an intelligent, charismatic person. i think he is very authentic. i think your conviction that people are supporting him because he is part black isn't that valid.
I am not the only one who feels that way. Oddly enough, this same question came up on Xm's "The Power" (black talk radio) this past Thursday, and many of us are taking a wait and see on him. Not saying that he isn't a good guy, but he really hasn't done anything as a politician to get this love, much of which is coming from the broken, befuddled, and white, left.

Quote:
George W Bush was a one term governor of Texas when he was elected president. His lone accomplishment other than that was to be put in charge of a baseball team while financed by his dad's friends. did you think that disqualified him from being President? did you believe that the only reason he was being supported was because he was Republican and well financed (which was the case hehe)
Yes, he was supported because of his political connections. Whoever said otherwise?

Quote:
Obama is a special person and I think I agree with Mr. Brooks who said "Run Barack Run"
Nigel summed up my feelings on that quite well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Quote:
I saw him in the Illinois Senate race. Alan Keyes was a nutjob, but Obama would have beaten whoever the Illinois Republicans threw against him (and the next best thing they had was, apparently, Mike Ditka ).
Of course, to be fair, you could've pretty much ran anyone or anything on the democratic ticket and it would've won about 60-70% of the vote. Obama simply managed to push it to about 85%.

We, generally speaking, don't vote for republicans in illinois. Yes, yes, George Ryan, I know, but generally speaking, we don't. Winning illinois as a democrat really just means you won the primary.

As for Obama, I didn't vote in illinois in the last election so I didn't scrutinize him at all, but he seems like a decent enough person to me.
 
1 - 20 of 152 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top