VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article on MSN.

http://healthandfitness.sympatico.ms...etect=&abc=abc

I think this article is pretty right on saying that plant foods are good for you, except for the "Boost your protein" section which promotes meat:

Quote:
Many women are not getting enough protein
According to notmilk.com, Americans are getting too much protein since 45% of their diet is dairy, so they are getting too much protein.

Worst of all this is very frustrating:

Quote:
More traditional vegetarians ... limit their choices to plant foods, dairy products and meat alternatives with the occasional touch of chicken or fish

·
Registered
800 Posts
""Many people are meat-nibblers and still view themselves as vegetarians. More traditional vegetarians ... limit their choices to plant foods, dairy products and meat alternatives with the occasional touch of chicken or fish," says a National Institute of Nutrition statement."

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by derwenna View Post

""Many people are meat-nibblers and still view themselves as vegetarians. More traditional vegetarians ... limit their choices to plant foods, dairy products and meat alternatives with the occasional touch of chicken or fish," says a National Institute of Nutrition statement."

How can the National Institute of Nutrition be so ignorant? That is sad.

·
Registered
376 Posts
that is soooo stupid. there is not a single intelligent thing in the entire article. it states that beef is the most absorbable form of protein....not true. protein absorbtion from beef:92% protein absorbtion from soy:93%

...whatever. they also abreviate themselves as NIN. All i was thinking is that NineInchNails could probably give better nutrition advice.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Most people who do that do call themselves vegetarians (two of my friends do and still eat fish), but I think the article is implying that it's more of the veg*n population than it truly is. I think most of us, especially those of us in it for the animals, would not do such a thing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

protein absorbtion from beef:92% protein absorbtion from soy:93%
Could I have your source for that. That's very interesting and I'd like to source it before using that for debate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did you all know that broccoli has more protein per calorie than steak? It does, you can look it up if you want. Also, these people are complete dimwits. You can get all your needed protein from eating a wide variety of green veggies, bean, nuts, seeds and a little bit of whole grains. If any of you wish to ensure that your protein intake is adequate try some Vega. It's a vegan protein powder that doesn't have any soy in it. You can find it at myvega and then .com (sorry I had to right it like this, the forum won't let me post htmls).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts