VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a vegetarian for about 3 months now and I am hoping to be vegan in the next few months. Going into this, I decided that I wasn't going to be one of those annoying people who "preach" their beliefs to other people, but I have to say it is very hard not to. I won't just go up to people and start telling them about how horrible the animals are treated, but if they push the issue I will start talking! But what do you say to people, after you've told them about this, when they say, "Oh, I never thought about that! Too bad I love meat!" "I don't want to hear about it because I couldn't live withouth meat!" What do you say to these people!!! It has gotten to the point that I don't even want to be around my family or friends anymore. It's all fine until it comes time to eat! Please help!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The way I see it, it's best to be non-confrontational in these matters. Unless if you can tell that someone is truly interested in what you have to say, you're probably wasting your time talking to them about it. Just try to live by example. This can say a lot more than any talking can! Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In the example of responses you've given, these people appear to have least shown some interest in the subject. If they are receptive, you might want to suggest some reading that will definitely inspire them to at least reconsider their so called love of meat. "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating" and "The Vegetarian Handbook" are both excellent.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
You could say "I love meat too. It was hard to give up, but I'm glad I did it. Now I hardly miss it, especially with all the good replacements."

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Beki,

I TOTALLY feel the same way. I have to bite my tongue soooooo hard when people say things like that to me.

Recently I was having an e-conversation with someone about their 19 month old son who needs tubes in his ears AND a tonsillectomy because he's constantly sick. She said "I know that taking him off dairy will help but it's just such a large part of his diet. I think we'll just have to get the surgery."

I was absolutely floored by this. I did open my big mouth and told her all the benefits of raising children without dairy and sited lots of references. Her response was neutral.

I have such absolute passion about being vegan, that it's hard to contain it. I have lost my best friend of 13 years to the fact that she didn't give a rat's arse about my new found passion. She told me she didn't want to hear about it and she thought I was crazy. She didn't want to hang out anymore because when she came over, she had to eat vegan food. She couldn't understand why I couldn't prepare pork chops for her and her boyfriend, and "rabbit food" for myself and my husband. I haven't spoken to her since. It's really sad that it came to this, but also, I guess I should be surrounding myself with more supportive people.

What I say depends on my mood. Last night my dad told me that he didn't think animals knew what was going on because they are dumb. (this began as a conversation about how he saw a fox in their yard that was attacking a bunny nest) I was not in the mood to get into it, so I just ignored it. Now today, I am in a mood where I would have debated that further.

I am in the exact same boat, I really dread hanging out with family and friends sometimes. The friends that I have met since changing my habits are so much more supportive and accept me for who I am. I need to meet more people like that!

Good luck. *hugs*

Sally

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomjo32

In the example of responses you've given, these people appear to have least shown some interest in the subject. If they are receptive, you might want to suggest some reading that will definitely inspire them to at least reconsider their so called love of meat. "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating" and "The Vegetarian Handbook" are both excellent.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah i always get a lot of people saying "oh i could never do that, it's too hard" or "i love meat too much, i wouldn't be able to do it"

usually i just tell the truth: "yeah i thought the same thing"

cause it's true, for a while i wanted to go veg but thought it would be too hard and i loved meat too much and figured i'd never be able to give it up. til i actually read up on it and realized how disgusting it is

usually makes them stop and say "oh. hmm"

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can actually appreciate it when people are honest about their reluctance to give up meat. They don't try to defend their habits with the famous "But field animals die too!!" or "But plants feel pain!! It's been proven!!" or "Come on, animals can't feel pain the way humans do!"

In other words, they don't try to put veg*ns in a "defend yourself or look like a loser" situation.

I tend to respect those who openly say that they feel bad about what happens to the animals, but they like meat too much to go vegetarian. That's about as honest as it gets, I feel.

If they're interested, I might perhaps recommend a few brands of soy meats that come amazingly close to the real thing. Even if they (the people) don't turn vegetarian, they'll know that vegetarianism isn't necessarily equal to deprivation.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm personally waiting for the day when I can hand out copies of "The Food Revolution" to anyone who inquires into my veganism. That would save me a lot of time, and even do more good in the long run.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
epski, it's funny you say that! I was just thinking about that. I was thinking that I'd happily purchase a copy for anyone who would be willing to read it and discuss it with me. Sadly, I don't think anyone I know is very interested right now. I will probably be waiting for that day forever.

·
Registered
637 Posts
" I have lost my best friend of 13 years to the fact that she didn't give a rat's arse about my new found passion. She told me she didn't want to hear about it and she thought I was crazy. She didn't want to hang out anymore because when she came over, she had to eat vegan food. She couldn't understand why I couldn't prepare pork chops for her and her boyfriend, and "rabbit food" for myself and my husband. I haven't spoken to her since. It's really sad that it came to this, but also, I guess I should be surrounding myself with more supportive people. "

Wow, I'm really sorry, Sally.
That's one great thing about going veggie, you'll defintely find out who your real friends are!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've tried to get friends and family to read FAST FOOD NATION. Most of them won't stick to reading it. My sister says it is boring. I give up. Well, sort of...

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
If people are real serious about their meat, you can always say EAT LESS MEAT. Most people wouldn't argue with that. As long as you're not trying to tell them to quit eating all meat and all dairy tomorrow. Vegg*ism is a gradual thing for most who do it.

Or tell them to try going veggie for a day. Everyone knows of at least 3-4 meals that don't involve meat. This guy I work with said he didnt' eat meat for 2 days and then when he did he said he felt all 'blllllaaahh'.

And, yeah, get people to read FAST FOOD NATION. That's the book that did it for me. Meat is so disgusting.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Personally, I just say "Well, once you do get used to not eating it, you don't go back, and I'm probably better off for it. My friends agree that my vegetarianism is making me healthier. One of them said "You probably don't have to worry what you eat. You can eat chips every day for the rest of your life, and you'll balance it out because you don't eat meat."

Of course, he wasn't being serious, but the point he was making was that I can be healthy paying less attention to what I eat, simply because I've cut out a lot of cholesterol and bad fats. (Though olive & canola oil are winners any day!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Basicially, I say that I used to love eating meat, too. I thought it was tasty. But then, I decided to learn about what I was eating and I was not happy with my results.

It usually shuts people up for me.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I refer to meat as either 'dead animals' or 'corpses' when among family and friends. Most of them understand or appreciate it

Along the lines of:

"Is this the pan that has a dead animal in it?"

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was on the verge of going

"What is this dead bird doing on the dinner table?" My mom should never ask me to label bags for bulk purchased dead animals. I was doing things like "Dead Chicken Breast", etc. I'd love to say "What are you frying up that pig corpse for?!" I probly shouldnt though.

I was so mad when my brother went and put a plastic deli turkey wrapper ON MY VEGAN BANANA BREAD!! It left a puddle and 3 little bits. EWWW! I was absolutely disgusted. I warned my Activist Club ( mostly vegetarian) I would have felt bad if I did'nt say anything, though, as it was, I dunno if anyone touched it. I removed the bits and some of that little puddle. Never again.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Oh it is so frusturating but people are people, their not going to immediatly switch their views & lifestyles because of a few words or facts. Look at all the people who continue to smoke when they know of the detrements to their body.

I do think they have to see more substantional & visual evidence that a vegan diet is better. Buy a slaughterhouse video for them to preview. I'm sure a lot of people have converted after seeing real footage of what goes on, as this makes it more reality then just some words that usually go in one ear & out the other.

Or lend them a good vegan book, people tend to listen more if it's them doing the reading & learning the facts versus someone else preaching the facts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I wouldn't condone the idea of a slaughterhouse video. Personally, it's a little extreme. Perhaps you should just stay frienly with this person whatever their diet, and hopefully, they'll become interested in becoming veg*n after seeing that you can be a normal veg*n.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts