VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been on a rice kick lately and I was wondering what everyone pair with their rice.

My main pairs:

Black beans and Cheese w/ rice

Sweet and Sour Morning Star Farm Chicken Grillers w/ Rice.

What about you?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I like brown rice and a chili-like mix I make with kidney beans, corn, fresh veggies (grated or cut up) like carrots and zucchini and eggplant, and passata (tomato pulp). Lots of garlic and some dried chilli pepper.

I like basmati rice with any kind of mild curry and I am specifically partial to curries containing pumpkin (butternut squash).

We also make risotto rice mixed with spinach and soy cream sometimes, and brown rice or risotto rice with a mushroom-type sauce (resembling sauce archiduc if you know that), it is basically a whitish sauce (I make it with corn starch, soy milk and yeast extract) with mushrooms and you can also put diced seitan in there.

All very satisfying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love it with tons of stirfried veggies and garlic and sometimes I add tofu.

I love it with marinara and veggies.

I love it with black beans, corn and salsa.

I love it with mashed mashed tofu and banana (I found this idea on a website a long tiome ago- forget which), but it is like an "instant" rice pudding. I also like to add rasiins and cinnamon to this, sometimes.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I can answer this, we have a rice cooker that gets a great deal of use.

To go with rice: curries, sweet-and-sour, mushroom "gravy" or stroganoff cream-type sauce, homemade chili, baked beans, any misc. cooked frozen-veggie-blend, fried tofu cubes, fried tempeh with BBQ sauce, seitan and pineapple teriyaki, spaghetti sauce with veggies, sloppy-joe sauce (with TVP).

Virtually "instant" 'toppings' include Thai Sweet-Hot Chilli Sauce, peanut sauce, soy sauce, salsa, El Pinto Green Chile Sauce, a can of black or pinto beans, butter and honey, teriyaki sauce, even ketchup...

Yeah, we'll put just about anything on rice...

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
one of my weirder ones is avocado and soy cheeze. :p but it only works with instant brown rice made with vegetable broth.

On the more normal side of things... any sort of vegetables, sometimes with beans, a favourite is kale cooked in olive oil and garlic with a can of diced tomatoes and a can of chickpeas (drained/rinsed).

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Almost anything. Rice is one of my staples.

Most days it'ss one of dozens and dozens of varieties or stir fry or curry. Goes great with a side to anymeal that needs a whack of added carbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A quick dinner is to take some already cooked rice and mix it in a frying pan with peppers/any vegetable you'd like and add sweet and sour sauce. Yummy... and orange!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Just about anything and everything. Creamed spinach, chili, lentil soup (the kind I make is pretty thick, so it's kind of like a stew), refried beans, marinara sauce, veggies, cheese, various different curries, whatever leftovers that might be kicking about in the fridge, peanut sauce, soy sauce w/sesame seeds, marg. w/salt and pepper, salsa, hummus, baked beans, etc.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Rice is a staple at my home. The type of rice varies based on the meal.

medium grain white rice: with spanish foods, like black beans with onions and peppers; or red beans with tomato sauce, onions, peppers and pumpkin; in fajitas or burritos (seasoned with mexican spices of course!)

brown rice: with chinese style stir fries with tofu or seitan and mixed veggies

basmati rice: indian food like mutter paneer or aloo gohbi - of course with raita!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Annnything.

Add beans and marinara sauce or salsa, and eat it however you like: on its own, in wraps, stuffed into peppers and baked...

With stir-fried veg and tofu or cashew nuts (add sweet and sour sauce or tamari)

With a nice, spicy vegetable curry

Rice pudding (add milk, sweetener, cinnamon, and raisins and simmer until thick)

Added to soup to make it a bit heartier

With chili, sprinkled with a bit of cheese

Mix with refried beans, salsa, sweetcorn, any other veg you like, wrap up and bake to make burritos

Smash about a cup of cooked rice with a couple cups of cooked beans (about one tin's worth), any herbs and finely diced veg, add 2 eggs (or replacer), press into an 8x8 tin and bake for a lovely loaf (serve with gravy or in sandwiches)

Make horchata!

The options are endless. ;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
For me, me it's more like what don't I pair with rice. We eat a ton of it, all brown. We eat beans and rice all the time, and I make many versions (red, black, lentils, pintos etc.) We eat a lot of stir fries & curries with rice. I like to make risotto. We eat mushroom or meatless meatball stroganoff w/rice sometimes as well. I also cook it with veggies in it to make a side for baked tofu and whatnot. Rice is good!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I love pretty much anything with rice.

I often make a chickpea and kale stirfry and serve over brown rice, but I'll also throw just about anything under the sun with rice. I've tossed rice with tomato sauce and nutritonal yeast, served it mixed into a green salad, done the beans + rice on toast, mixed veggies and braggs on rice, any kind of curry or purreed mustard greens. Last night was brocolli and sweet potatoes over rice with a spicy peanut sauce.

Tonight will be rice noodles

MMmm.... Rice

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
frozen veggies and pete's marinated tofu.

i used to be able to get these awesome breaded chick'n cutlets by yves, they were awesome with rice. nobody in town carries them anymore.

·
Registered
471 Posts
School lunch most days consists of rice wrapped in crisp laver w/ kimchi (and maybe soup or a vegetable, if I'm lucky) on the side.

Dinner tonight was sprouted brown rice and barley, topped with collard greens, topped with black-eyed peas, topped with salsa, topped with half an avocado. Yummy!

Tomorrow, tonight's leftover rice will get mixed in with finely-chopped cabbage, shredded carrot, minced onion and green garlic, and thinly-sliced shiitake mushrooms, then stir-fried w/ sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin, and crushed red pepper.

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Yeah my favorites are stir fried veggies in sauce, you can add seitan, tofu tempeh......Curry and rice, rice with fat free refried beans and guacamole in a wrap.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
I take sushi rice and make onigiri with veggies inside! Also, today I made brown rice with green beans, almonds, steamed carrots, all in a butter garlic sauce.

Also, its awesome with peanut sauce!

brown rice = yum!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts