VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two glorious weeks of vacation, and much recent talk of where we're going to live "in the future", I've had the "things that bug the hell out of me about Oxford" going 'round my head for awhile.

So what's good/bad about where you live? Here's mine for starters:

Things I love:
-Loads of fantastic parks, etc. outside of the city. Duck ponds, river walks, an amazing outdoor pool....
-Wicked awesome train service to the "big city" (London) Way better than driving.
-Vegan stuff is labeled quite well, and there are all sorts of unexpected finds (like most of the milkshake places having soya or Superdrug selling vegan toiletries)
-There are people nearly literally from all over the world. Pretty much every day I hear people conversing in English, French, German, Urdu, Polish, Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi, Korean and usually a variety of unknown (to me) Eastern European and African languages.

Things that drive me mad:
-everyone one here over age 12 smokes all the time, everywhere, every day (only a slight exaggeration)
-with all the green space on the fringes, there is virtually nothing in the centre. They cut down trees all the time. Finding a tree or a patch of grass to sit nearby is a quest. I can't express how concrete it is.
-riding the bus is only marginally better than a trip to hell. I can't believe I haven't yet been witness to a random act of violence
-tabloid newspapers....much is being made of the News of the World, but the truth is, there are a half dozen other rags just as bad. "Journalism" here is largely a sham.
-shopping can be a real pain...stores are frequently just "out" of things
Not in that developing world way, but still a shock to my American brain
-5 years here and I still can't figure out the correct way to write down a phone number. Is it 01202 333333 or 01202 333 333 or 01 202 333 333. Argh!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I love that we get to experience the four seasons.
The safety factor/low crime...you can leave your doors unlocked if you wanted to, although I don't. lol
Lots of wildlife come to my backyard.

I hate that you need a car to go anywhere. No public transportation like buses. Not that I would likely take public transportation but the option would be nice. And there are no sidewalks which I guess aren't necessary since you can't walk anywhere.
No restaurants with vegan options on the menu. NYC is 90 minutes away...not close enough for me. I don't like having to be the PIA that has to ask for something to be made special for me.

I'm sure there's more but it's all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
The bad:
Winter.
Lack of easily accessible vegan food. It's a lot better than when I first went veg but it's not Chicago by a long ways.
Winter.
No Whole Foods.
Winter.
People don't know how to drive. Zig-zag merging at construction zones confuses the hell out of people, and many drivers here think merging onto the highway from an on-ramp at 35 mph is perfectly acceptable. Yapping on your phone and going 10 miles under the speed limit is normal and people get bent out of shape when you pass them for doing so.
Winter.
No decent hockey anymore in the dreaded winter to make it a little more bearable.
Winter.
Not dog friendly. There are very few places dogs are allowed.
Did I mention I don't like winter?

The good:
Can't think of a whole lot. It's a lot less crowded here than a big city I guess, which is good when you don't like people too much.
And the other three seasons aren't bad at all. It's a lot cheaper to live here than Chicago.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I hate the winter, lack of people here, nothing to do, an hour away from the nearest city, no places to shop, hardly any other vegetarians, there's no ocean here D: and that I still have four more years to be here

ETA: There's very little vegetarian options here as well.

Let's see what I like, well, I can't think of anything.
I HATE living in a small town!

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
the biggest plus is that the solitude of being out in the sticks allows you to create your own little world. that's not unique to my location, but i sure do like the country life.

other pluses:

i have deer in the backyard but i am 6 minutes away from publix.

it's cheap. my property taxes are under 800 a year because i've got a big exemption grandfathered in. no water/garbage, just electricity. my total expense are less than 175 a month for taxes and electricity. my other expenses are basically food and gas. i can live on less than 800 a month in decent comfort.

i can grow a big part of my own food.

i own a part of the community wetlands, approximately 50 acres that can never be developed in the back of my house. so this gives the appearance of my property being a lot bigger than it actually is.

winter isn't bad at all in mid florida

i live near a major college town, so there's plenty of shopping,etc. yet in easy drive there are also small towns with unique shops. i am reasonably close to both the atlantic and the gulf of mexico. both sides of the state make for an easy trip with a couple of hours driving.

the not so good:

it's hot. in the summer the sun is so intense you need a shadehouse to really grow your own food effectively.

i wish it would stay cooler longer, like maybe in south georgia.

i have so much work to do on my place

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i like:

- multiculturalism
- lots of veggie restaurants and options on the menu
- one can survive without a car
- almost no crime (well relatively)
- lots of good musicians come over (and lots of local ones too)

hate:
- the fact that our new mayor is a conservative @ss
- WINTER
- not as pretty as Europe
-none of our sports teams is awesome
- no alcohol drinking allowed on the street, and they don't sell alcohol in supermarkets, just in the special stores that close at 9-10

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Karen, I miss the four seasons definitely! Michigan is an amazing place in that way....freezing ass cold in the winter with sometimes 8 or 9 feet of snow, then 85 degrees (or more) in August, with gorgeous Autumn leaves. Ahhh. I've not yet taken Karl there in the Fall, I'm not sure he quite believes me how beautiful Autumn can be.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I like the fact that there is a small lake here in front of the house. It is pretty.

I hate the kilometre upon kilometre of boring suburbia, where somebody putting the rubbish out is the most exciting thing that happens around here. I hate the fact that the city I live in is made up of mostly boring housing and boring industrial buildings and identikit shopping malls with escalators and shiny floors.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Love:
*I don't live with my parents. A lot of my friends of my age do, and it would really suck.
*There are more jobs available than in my home town.
*I'm within walking distance of shops, job, the university I just graduated from, parks, the cinema, etc.
*It's very multicultural.
*The weather is quite nice. It's doesn't rain anywhere near as much as where I grew up, and it's snowy in winter and warm in summer, which is good.
*It's a city but the trees and red brick houses are beautiful.
*I can go for a night time walk and see pigeons, foxes and rabbits locally.

Hate:
*The rent is stupidly high.
*Food is expensive.
*There isn't a great deal to do apart from cinema, shopping and nightclubs (none of which I can afford).
*Reneeannem doesn't live here!

*All of my friends (and housemates) go home for the summer, Christmas and Easter holidays, leaving me in a house on my own for 3 months a year.
*Spiders love it here.
*The house is North facing so there's next to no light and all my pot plants died months ago.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I love the fact that I live in the warmest part of the country (and in one of the most beautiful provinces) that produces large quantities of fruit and veg from the pretty orchards. Being a raw vegan this has lead to many occasions where I can be found under a fruit tree with a bloated tummy like a primate...but I love it none the less
I am also just minutes from my choice of two beaches.

The downside is the cost of living is high, and I keep seeing yuppies moving here and trying to make it a valley for the wealthy and developing the natural environment for their expensive properties. I see so many displaced animals

Another downside is that I am in a 'bible belt' which means I am constantly swamped with attempts for conversion by people I run into, via mail, or door to door zealots. I respect their desire to practice what they wish, but I simply wish they would respect mine and not be so aggressive.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I love the warm climate with beautiful green and flowers everywhere all year round. I love being close enough to the beach to go whenever I want to but far enough that if a hurricane comes I won't blow away or be flooded. I love living near my sister, my sons, and my grandkids.

I hate living in a city with no veggie options at all other than pizza though to be fair I only need to go "down the road" for lots of restaurants that I can manage a fairly decent meal at. I know no other veggie folks IRL locally.
It does get very hot and humid and summer lasts way too long.
The political climate in Florida is horrendous. I am really ashamed of the idiocy that is rampant here.

However, the pluses far outweigh the minuses IMHO. I really love Florida and can't see myself living anywhere else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love:
- It's really hot in the summer!
- Most of my friends live here
- Where my house is, its very quiet most of the time
- Thunderstorms are entertaining

Hate:
- Too far away from anything! It`s a thirty minute drive to the nearest big city.
- Tornadoes
- Winter sucks
- No veggie anything anywhere

- Only seasons we have are "Hot tornado season" and "Cold ice storm season"

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Love:

Good transport links into London where there are lots of veggie/ vegan restaurants and cafes.
It's close to my husband's work.
My house is on a quiet residential street.
It's multicultural.
There are lots of places selling fresh fruit and veg nearby which are handy for me to get fresh produce. (I found a wonderful new shop the other day!)

Hate:

I live in a poor borough and the NHS services can be awful, there are a lot of teenage pregnancies, lots of people are on benefits/ have low incomes and there are some very ignorant and racist people living here.
The crime. I don't appreciate hearing police helicopters going over my house when I'm trying to sleep at night.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Like:

- so many parks, can get lost in the woods and not feel like I'm in a capital city. I see more wildlife here than I did living 18 years in the countryside.
- boris bikes!
- I can order just about any food I might fancy online and have it delivered hot and tasty. If I can't order it, there's almost certainly a restaurant somewhere that has it.
- every area is so completely different, a walk into Central takes you through so many different histories and people. Some places are so exotic, all are different. Just being in a different part of the city feels like being on holiday.
- Free museums! Good ones and everything. Thanks Victorians!
- Sam Smiths all over the bloody place
- fantastic charity shops
- Ms Cupcake
- lovely cinemas
- very good public transport (even though it's ridiculously expensive) and night buses from Central to my house

Dislike:
- everything is so expensive
- hoards of slow walking people, ****ing tourists
- people who stand on the left of escalators
- I don't know anyone who regularly cycles on roads who hasn't had a serious accident
- I don't know many people and it's so big, it's difficult to feel any real sense of community. If you go out, you will probably never run into the people you meet ever again (this is sometimes a good thing)
- my flatmates

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area.

Like:
  • Shopping here kicks serious ass
  • Tons of great restaurants...not that I go to them, but I could if I wanted to.
  • Lots of cultural events (that I don't attend)
  • Few tourists
  • Complete 'package' of pro sports and we don't suck at all of them
  • Most concert tours stop here
  • Lack of really hard winters
  • Good place to find a job/build a career in most fields; economy is very diverse
  • Seemingly bottomless pit of optimism for the future (from other people)
  • Not difficult to find healthy/vegetarian/vegan options. Most things I see advertised or discussed can be purchased here unless they're a Trader Joe specific brand.
Dislike:
  • Most people my age here are douchebags
  • Dating scene here SUCKS
  • People keep moving here...STOP IT
  • Every new road they build is a friggin' toll road
  • Utilities are ridiculously high
  • Very large number of illegal aliens
  • People here are overall too conservative
  • Most people here socialize over food, booze, or both; it's boring
  • Flat prairie landscape means a lack of decent outdoor activities

·
Registered
691 Posts
I live in the Valley of the Sun (Arizona):

Like:

Hot, dry weather (though my skin doesn't like it)
Very mild winters
Sunshine 300+ days per year
Lots of outdoor activities
The mountains down the street that I love to hike
Cactus
The variety of landscapes throughout the state
Sedona is only 2 hours away
The Grand Canyon is only 4 hours away
Surprisingly there are some pretty good veg*n friendly restaurants
Have a great job

Dislike:

The thorns on cactus, they hurt!
All the poisonous creepy crawly critters
Dust storms-we had a HUGE one a little over a week ago that I got stuck in while walking one of the furkids, not fun, almost knocked me over before we could run home
The crazy summer monsoon storms which usually includes dust storms
The snowbirds but they are good for the economy, just stay off the road when I am trying to get to work
All the dairy farms in my area, makes me sad

I am moving two weeks from today to Naples, FL (due to hubby's job). Will miss AZ very much... Hopefully I will like SW FL....

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I love the open spaces, the laid-back lifestyle, the sunshine, the friendly people - like when someone accidently bumps into you in the street they still say "oh, sorry mate!" Awesome.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.