VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate looking at the stack of the plastic tubs in my recycle bin every week. Any ideas for reuse?

I've thought of freezing soups in them, but sealing is an obvious problem.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I use them as hulls when building battleships for the nation of Lilliput.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

....tofu comes in more than aseptic cardboards packages?
Is this an answer or a question? Every place I go to that offers it in bulk looks like a lunch buffet tray with a bunch of crap floating around in the mix. I don't like that as an option. I make tofu from time to time, and it's the best I've had, but it takes a schnitload of time.

Quote:
I use them as hulls when building battleships for the nation of Lilliput.
Once again, you inspire me! Do you think a triple-hulled vessel is going overboard (no pun intended)?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

Do you think a triple-hulled vessel is going overboard (no pun intended)?
hello,, this is the emperor of Lilliput. sevenseas said you were interested in our battleship designs.

a triple-hulled model is okay. remember to scratch or otherwise remove any original tofu-related symbols from the hull.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
At least you can recycle them. We don't currently have facilities to recycle plastic like that in my city

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I use them to start seedlings in the spring. I have a small greenhouse and line them up in there, when the seedlings are bigger, (and weather is warmer) I transplant to the garden.

(Oh, punch some drainage holes in them first)

I also use them for dogfood dishes when I feed the dog canned food (about once a month when she gets her nails trimmed) then I can just throw the whole thing away after, (I know, I know, bad) because I hate, hate, hate dealing with anything that's touched wet dogfood or meat type stuff.

My kids used to use them in the sand box as molds for forts.

One year I tried pouring hot fudge into them to set up when I didn't have a Pyrex pan, but the containers warped horribly so I wouldn't recommend that.

BTW,
Quote:
stack of the plastic tubs
how much tofu do you USE in a week?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

BTW, how much tofu do you USE in a week?
About 3 pounds a week in my house - and I buy the split-packed organic stuff from Trader Joe's. That's 6 containers.

It's not much compared to all of our recycling, but they just strike me as objects that might be handy for something else.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I do most often buy it in bulk.. the bulk tofu at my co-op is fantastic. Better than any packaged tofu I've had. However, sometimes I need other than firm tofu (and I've been avoiding bulk since my city had a GI virus outbreak), and I just recycle them. I do use them as "garbage bowls" while I cook though. I'm with TNS.. they would make good seedling starters in the spring. Then again, I'll use any random plastic container I have to start seedlings.

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I do most often buy it in bulk.. the bulk tofu at my co-op is fantastic. Better than any packaged tofu I've had. However, sometimes I need other than firm tofu (and I've been avoiding bulk since my city had a GI virus outbreak), and I just recycle them. I do use them as "garbage bowls" while I cook though. I'm with TNS.. they would make good seedling starters in the spring. Then again, I'll use any random plastic container I have to start seedlings.
did you mean compost bowls? that's what I do before recycling them...

this thread has given me an idea
i have yet one x-mas gift to my daughter that hasn't been wrapped. I think the tofu carton in my recycling bin would make a wonderful container for a niniature wooden tea set!

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
You from all people should know what happens in my bath tub. Remember last night?

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Start selling cereal bowl sets on the internet. Instead of making cinder block shelves, stack them in place of the cinder blocks, Tower of Babel? Pillars of Hercules? Rain catchers? Mobiles?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Buy some press and seal wrap and store soups in them?

Glue stuff to them and make some "pets"? Hmmm, this has inspired me... who can make the best "pet" out of their tofu boxes? Take a picture and post it...

BTW- I'd like some pictures of those ships...

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
1)Save them for a year.

2)Acquire target.

3)Wait until nightfall, and dump all 300ish containers in targets backyard.

4)?????

5)profit.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Paint them various colors.

Organize a neat vegetarian themed tofu-container mosaic!

...in your neighbors backyard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts