VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
99% Vegan
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be cool if we all posted what we do to save money. :popcorn::vebo:

Here is what I do, or plan on doing soon.
Aldi's, FArmer's Markets and Warehouse stores have really helped me save lots of money - especially when I can't get coupons for what I need. I buy rice 25 pounds at a time. Its much cheaper that way.

Growing my own vegetables is one of my goals, as that would be the cheapest. I hope to buy the light for my indoor vegetable garden next month. I also want to start buying dried beans and then soaking them instead of buying canned beans.

I try to shop the sales when I have a coupon for the product as well for a greater savings.

Sorry, but I have no ideas for saving money on shoes, clothes or other Vegan items.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I've caught on to this tip big time lately--go online to price compare!
I DO NOT advise doing this if you're a natural shopper, but if you're just frugal, and like to look more than buy, you can find great bargains by checking deal sites regularlay
http://bensbargains.com/--- I bought a very nice stainless steel cookware set for my son that listed over $100. After a rebate it came to $10. That was a one time deal
they also pointed my to Target for a Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet for $16.99. I bought online, looked at the store price when I picked it up and that was $20.99. I found other things were oddly much cheaper buying online and picking up in store both at Target and Walmart

I put this app on my amazon account-http://camelcamelcamel.com/ It stays in you toolbar and you can price history of items on amazon.com I go there often to check revews and like to know what the list price has been to know if it's a bargain or not.

I'm a huge Aldi fan. I like that I go in with a list and get what I need cheaper than most stores sales or coupons. I have quite a few of their Kitchen gadgets. I highly recommend their Kitchen Living knock off of the 900 watt Nutribullet blender! It was $30 or 39 around black friday and is just the same as the name brand that sells closer to $100
I'm in walking distance of one and will check for things getting price drops. For some reason their water filter pitcher filters get overstocked and I've picked them up under $2.00 a three pack! They fit the Brita filter

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I am very interested in how you're going about indoor gardening. Hydroponics?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I make some of my own cleaning supplies, or use very basic stuff. I use lemon juice for cutting through grime; vinegar for my mirrors; washing soda sometimes for grime in the bathtub; tea tree oil for disinfecting the toilet. I used to grate my own laundry soap but now just use Seventh Generation.

I buy beans in bulk, nuts/seeds, and some grains (couscous, oats, rice, millet, buckwheat groats etc). I don't buy everything organic as far as produce, just the dirty dozen. I also grow a garden and herb garden with some of my own produce. I grow my own stevia leaves. I also often make my own bread, and occasionally my own flaxseed milk.

I buy clothes mostly at second hand stores, though pants can be hard to fit so occasionally I will buy those new. I do buy some specialty shoes new and high quality (hiking, cycling etc) but they last me a long time. I still have my hemp shoes and Garmont Kiowa vegan shoes from 2011 and both are in excellent shape even after vigorous hiking/canoe trips and snowshoeing in them. When I buy my vegan shoes etc online, I go to sites like Amazon and watch the prices and wait until they dip, then zero in and order them. I spend less than $70 on my Garmont Kiowa Hiking boots, including shipping and handling.

I rarely eat out, and usually if I do it is not a huge meal. Restaurant food is expensive and adds up. If I go somewhere to socialize it's usually at a coffee shop and I usually just have a small black coffee or tea.

I used to buy expensive wild caught salmon a few times per month when I was omni, and it was like $12 a lb, so just not buying that stuff saved a ton of money lol. My omega 3s come from flaxseeds, walnuts, avocado, leafy greens, soy etc. All of which are cheaper than a lot of fatty fish on the market.

Other stuff: making my own energy/protein bars from beans, peanut butter, oats etc. Never buying designer cold cereals. Oats with fresh fruit, raisins, seeds etc is so much cheaper and more filling. Use the crockpot often, and freeze leftovers and large batches of food for later. I make a lot of dried cooked beans at once and freeze extra.

Some cheap foods I love:

sweet potatoes and potatoes (not just to eat as is but as a base for sauces, curries, burritos, soups)
canned pumpkin (love to blend with banana or in a smoothie with blackstrap molasses)
oats with anything
chickpeas for salads, scrambles, for chickpea salad sandwiches, for chana masala, for sweet potato chickpea bars...
fat free refried pinto beans to go on toast with salsa, or in burritos, or as a dip
carrots are great as is or roasted with chili powder and coconut oil
bananas, pineapple, grapes are some of the cheaper fruits; I love berries in NE Minnesota when they are in season
lentils for lentil loaf, veggie burgers, in spaghetti sauce, soups, as a taco "meat", as a sloppy joe mix
polenta for a simple polenta shephards pie, or as a breakfast cereal with plant milk and blackstrap molasses
cornflour for homemade tortillas (I have a cheap tortilla press that is awesome for making quick and easy cornflour tortillas)

·
99% Vegan
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very interested in how you're going about indoor gardening. Hydroponics?
We are extremely new to this! So new, that we know nothing. :laugh: I would do research on how to do hydroponic gardening. We plan on doing that research soonish. Sorry!

I was walking around Duluth, MN when I was on vacation, and ran into this store that sold hydroponic stuff. So I walked in, checked it out, and then came back a month or two later to buy the hydroponic kit without the lights. With the lights, it would be over $200. We are buying the lights next month.

Brand: Emily's Garden System. The store I bought it from is not veg*n. And, I have yet to find Vegan organic dirt in a bag that did not contain a very obnoxious and smelly weed.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
We are extremely new to this! So new, that we know nothing. :laugh: I would do research on how to do hydroponic gardening. We plan on doing that research soonish. Sorry!

I was walking around Duluth, MN when I was on vacation, and ran into this store that sold hydroponic stuff. So I walked in, checked it out, and then came back a month or two later to buy the hydroponic kit without the lights. With the lights, it would be over $200. We are buying the lights next month.

Brand: Emily's Garden System. The store I bought it from is not veg*n. And, I have yet to find Vegan organic dirt in a bag that did not contain a very obnoxious and smelly weed.
For the record (I live in Duluth MN :)), I simply use the dirt in my yard, and add compost my partner and I have built up over the years, from dead leaves, kitchen scraps (potato skins, coffee grounds, vegetable peelings, plant tops etc), twigs, etc. No fertilizers, no prepackaged dirt. Most years our garden and herb pots did very very well, but this year we bought our seeds and a few started plants at a conventional garden center instead of an organic one, and our plants are not doing as well. Collards are doing great, stevia is good, but this year the basil completely died and our parsley is just not as abundant. Our broccoli raab is struggling too. So I am not sure if it is the quality of the seed or our soil has developed an imbalance. This is the sixth year I have had a garden and herb pots.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
It's funny, but being vegan has also made me very interested in a minimalist lifestyle. Having a values/moral orientation with my food and wardrobe has helped me reevaluate my other consumption habits too. I now belong to a local Minimalist meetup, I have a capsule wardrobe of limited colors and numbers, and I buy with a 'one in one out' mentality - meaning if I bring something new into my home (clothing, decorative, entertainment) I have to donate or otherwise get rid something.

Paring down; going through all my drawers, closets, file cabinets, pictures, memorabilia; and letting go of stuff that was just taking up space in my life has been so liberating - and especially for my wallet. I have lost the bad habit of shopping for entertainment or buying stuff to fill space. It's been a wonderful change.

·
99% Vegan
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the record (I live in Duluth MN :)), I simply use the dirt in my yard, and add compost my partner and I have built up over the years, from dead leaves, kitchen scraps (potato skins, coffee grounds, vegetable peelings, plant tops etc), twigs, etc. No fertilizers, no prepackaged dirt. Most years our garden and herb pots did very very well, but this year we bought our seeds and a few started plants at a conventional garden center instead of an organic one, and our plants are not doing as well. Collards are doing great, stevia is good, but this year the basil completely died and our parsley is just not as abundant. Our broccoli raab is struggling too. So I am not sure if it is the quality of the seed or our soil has developed an imbalance. This is the sixth year I have had a garden and herb pots.
I so envy you! However, I do save more gas money living here. I would always be driving way up North and hiking or camping up there once i figured out Vegan with my food allergies while camping. I am trying to get my body to think of "trail mix" as real food.

Gardening: I do know that soil quality does matter. It would be worth it to get it tested to see if it is too acidic or too alkaline. Also, the soil can be different between Fall and Spring. Where we live, I expect an acidic problem. Where it is warmer all year around, the soil tends towards the Alkaline. In your case, the seeds were probably not very good and the plants "runts" of the litter.

Why soil in a bag? Townhome where I do not own the land. Dad's soil is sandy and full of animal manure and most likely is not organic for real. No telling what is in that manure. I am going to inquire at this one house before the first frost to see if their dirt is free from Poultry as well. It is organic though. I am just very allergic to poultry and can not have it in the house. :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts