VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Lets say you want to buy a salad that already has cheese, but you take it off (or some other situation). Do you think that is bad?

For me, if you are a vegan based off of morals it is bad, because the money still goes to the industry. If you are vegan for health (wrong reason) then it is a different story.

2. If you are in a resturaunt, and the food you are getting is cooked in the same pan the meat is cooked in, will you eat it?

I will because I am not contributing anything to the industry.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
1. I wouldn't buy the salad
2. How would you know the same pan was used? I try to only eat out at veg restaurants so this isn't an issue for me.

Im curious about what you mean by this :

Quote:
If you are vegan for health (wrong reason)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
A vegan for health reasons is rarely going to be an actual vegan, they'd be more like a dietary vegan or strict vegetarian, as vegans don't use animal products in any part of their lives. Someone eating the diet for health reasons will most likely still wear leather/use non-vegan cosmetics/etc.

As for the two situations: I wouldn't buy anything that had dairy in, regardless of if I could 'take it off', just as I wouldn't pick off the meat or eat around it. If there's cross contamination in the kitchen, I'm a little less fussy because it's not an allergy, but I draw the line at things being cooked in non-vegan fats. Luckily, most restaurants in these parts understand the term 'vegan' and are very accommodating.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

A vegan for health reasons is rarely going to be an actual vegan, they'd be more like a dietary vegan or strict vegetarian, as vegans don't use animal products in any part of their lives. Someone eating the diet for health reasons will most likely still wear leather/use non-vegan cosmetics/etc.
Not necessarily. I avoided animal products in my life as a vegetarian and went vegan for health reasons initially. I don't understand how or why anyone would judge another's reasons for being vegan?

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
1.i am not a vegan yet. but if i were i would not buy it. if i bought it by mistake, i would take it out and give to my friend. money is already spent. as a vegetarian now, i don't buy anything with meat in it. but when i once came home and my roommate had left over pepperoni pizza, i did take it off and had the slice. again, in this situation i don't feel like my actions do anything
2. yeah, i don't care about that pasrt

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
regarding situation number one..if you buy the salad, then you *are* contributing to the dairy industry (with your money).

In the pan-sharing scenario, I'd prefer to not use shared equipment, and will often enquire about this (though admittedly not always).

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

1. Lets say you want to buy a salad that already has cheese, but you take it off (or some other situation). Do you think that is bad?
I don't give my money to the dairy industry. It's not the abstention from eating the cheese that helps spare animals - it's the abstention from giving your money to people who produce dairy. You could buy a truckload of dairy and drive it into the ocean and do more harm than good for baby cows and their mothers because you paid for it. Think about it.

For me, if you are a vegan based off of morals it is bad, because the money still goes to the industry. If you are vegan for health (wrong reason) then it is a different story.

Quote:
2. If you are in a resturaunt, and the food you are getting is cooked in the same pan the meat is cooked in, will you eat it?

I'd rather not know about it but I probably wouldn't ask too many picky questions, because I'd consider this an opportunity to put a friendly face on veganism and don't want to give the wrong impression.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
1. Order it without the cheese and if it accidentally comes with cheese, I'd give it to a family member that does eat dairy. Maybe I'd order another one and clarify what was wrong with the first one or I'd just sip my drink/water instead. My boyfriend had this issue at taco bell

2. I also tend to go to veg-friendly restaurants that will not cross-contaminate and won't use animal oils/fats. Boyfriend wanted Taco Bell once though so we ordered some fresco bean burritos which aren't supposed to come with dairy. They were loaded with cheese! He brought them back and asked for the same order but without cheese and they gave us chicken fresco burritos. -.- They lost us as customers, fast food is no good anyway. I ended up making some rockin' black bean and sweet potato burritos at home.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Not necessarily. I avoided animal products in my life as a vegetarian and went vegan for health reasons initially. I don't understand how or why anyone would judge another's reasons for being vegan?
I just meant that vegan is an all-encompassing term, and if someone was a vegan only for health reasons, then there would be no reason for them to avoid animal products in other areas of their life, and they therefore would not be vegan. I wasn't judging anything.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

What were your health reasons for not wearing leather or fur, or products tested on animals?

I think that is her point

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Can you then also not go to the supermarket who sells meat/non-vegan stuff? I'm just thinking that if I buy my veggies at Whole Foods I sponsor the meat industry cos maybe part of my money will be used to buy fresh meat.... How far can you go?

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrc View Post

Can you then also not go to the supermarket who sells meat/non-vegan stuff? I'm just thinking that if I buy my veggies at Whole Foods I sponsor the meat industry cos maybe part of my money will be used to buy fresh meat.... How far can you go?
The difference is that it is very easy to not order a cheese-containing salad from a restaurant, but it is NOT easy to shop somewhere that doesn't stock meat. It's about doing what is possible and practical. We could all probably go a little further in our veganism but there are limits as to what is reasonable for us.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

The difference is that it is very easy to not order a cheese-containing salad from a restaurant, but it is NOT easy to shop somewhere that doesn't stock meat. It's about doing what is possible and practical. We could all probably go a little further in our veganism but there are limits as to what is reasonable for us.
Absolutely

For the record, I could never buy a cheese salad, because of the contribution to the dairy industry. I could also never eat a veggie dish that was cooked in a shared pan.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

What were your health reasons for not wearing leather or fur, or products tested on animals?

I think that is her point
Leather, fur, and vivisection are not vegetarian, so as I vegetarian I avoided these already. For the first few years as a vegan I didn't know much about the production of dairy and eggs and simply avoided them because they made me sick, so I was technically a dietary vegan and identified as such.

Im sharing my personal experience because of the assumptions that dietary vegans are not "real" vegans without knowing the specifics of their reasoning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts