VeggieBoards banner

What do you do? (if you have digestive problems)

4K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  starseed13 
#1 ·
Hi I wanted to know what you do if you have digestive problems etc.. with eating veggies and beans?What do u do to resolve problems with (having too much gas)and going potty too much??/

Sorry for such an icky ?????'s

hugs

michelle

#2 ·
For me, there was a transition period where it was best that I stayed away from people due to gas, but once my body got used to the new diet, I rarely have that problem.

If you are working toward being Vegan, you are going to poop a lot. Pooping a lot is healthy as long as you aren't getting diarrhea. People who don't poop enough end up having colon cancer, diverticulosis, etc. That being said, my body adjusted to the dietary change on that too, and I don't spend half the day on the toilet or anything.

One way to minimize problems is to add "problem" foods like beans, broccoli, etc. in to your diet slowly. Also, there are cooking methods to make beans less gassy like soaking the beans, then discarding the soaking water and rinsing the beans before cooking. Definitely try to keep your soy intake low to start because if you're anything like me, soy is a big gas producer.

#7 ·
I noticed that if I eat soy products (like a soy burger, or soy bratwurst) my stomach gets all tied up in knots. I sure hope that's something that my body gets used to.

I've been vegetarian for about a month now and have found that I used to go to the bathroom A LOT more, and I swore that more was coming out of me than what was going in, which I guess is a good thing because my body is ridding itself of stuff that was clogged up in there. As for my bathroom breaks, that seems to be getting a bit more normal now.

However, I still get an upset stomach as well with certain things. I had Amy's Veggie Loaf for lunch today and man, about three hours later I was all tied up in knots in my stomach, and I wondered if I was coming down with something or if I was developing an ulcer or if I was getting ecol-i from vegetables (you know it can happen!). I went home a little early from work because I was feeling sick and I found myself to be gassier than normal this afternoon, but am starting to feel better.

#9 ·
I suffer from IBS, and if its getting to be a problem try taking some kind of anti-diarrhoea drug like Immodium or something. If you use the plus tablets they are especially good at dispersing wind. Don't take the whole thing, just half a tablet when you feel a bit dodgy. It's just your body getting used to all the extra fibre in your diet.

Good Luck!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

I noticed that if I eat soy products (like a soy burger, or soy bratwurst) my stomach gets all tied up in knots. I sure hope that's something that my body gets used to.

However, I still get an upset stomach as well with certain things. I had Amy's Veggie Loaf for lunch today and man, about three hours later I was all tied up in knots in my stomach, and I wondered if I was coming down with something or if I was developing an ulcer or if I was getting ecol-i from vegetables (you know it can happen!). I went home a little early from work because I was feeling sick and I found myself to be gassier than normal this afternoon, but am starting to feel better.
Do you always get this with soy products? You could have a soy intolerance.

Sometimes too much gas can also be quite painful - it might just be that.

#11 ·
I honestly never had any problems..beans, veggies, etc..never have given me gas. No food has really..I always ate vegetarian type foods most of my life, even when I ate meat. I think my body just works best with these types of foods.

I also wonder if you might have a soy intolerance calhoun7..Ive never had a problem with soy either, so I dont know..I love Amys veggie loaf btw! Yum.

I suggest just sticking to a healthy diet and your body will probably adapt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.