VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom bought a Wilton Ultra Bake cookie sheet. It said non stick but didn't say teflon so she was thrilled. I called to ask what it was. The woman cut me off and said loudly "It is totally FDA approved." I said "Fine, but what material is it?" She said "I have NO idea!" I couldn't believe the conversation and her abrupt nature at this point. I asked for a supervisor. She sighed and said to hold on while placing me on hold!! She came back and said "Well it is Teflon but we took out that C8 and PFOA whatever that is" I was so ticked at her treatment of me but I said "So it is Teflon then?" She replied it indeed was. I hung up. Now that I am off the phone with her I am ticked at the way she thinks I bothered her! I am going to write an email. I have her first name and that is all.

So, what do you cook on? Bake on? I hope FDA approved doesn't make you feel safe. LOL. I emailed Christina from Christina Cooks once and asked her why she tells me to eat healthy but she cooked on Telfon and Silicone bakeware.
I see her new season of shows now is all stainless steel cookware.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I loathe non-stick bakeware, but have had the dickens of a time finding anything that isn't either Teflon-coated or made from silicon. Finally found some uncoated commercial bakeware on Amazon.com and have added it to our wedding registry. Prices aren't too bad either. The brand is Chicago Metallic. (They've got non-stick stuff too, so buyer beware.)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have glass lasagna pans and loaf pans. My cookie sheets are aluminum though.
I want to get steel, but I haven't been able to find any.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
She probably gets a LOT of calls from jerks, and assumed you were one too. Not that it forgives her, and it's not going to help her job, but it most likely had nothing to do with you.

And what's supposed to be wrong with Teflon again? I don't even know what my pans are, but they're non-stick.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

She probably gets a LOT of calls from jerks, and assumed you were one too. Not that it forgives her, and it's not going to help her job, but it most likely had nothing to do with you.

And what's supposed to be wrong with Teflon again? I don't even know what my pans are, but they're non-stick.
it is toxic when heated to high (higher than your oven gets) temperatures.

to the op, maybe the people at wilton don't share your unfounded paranoia?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
"Well it is Teflon but we took out that C8 and PFOA whatever that is"

The problem with this is i believe teflon cannot be made without C8, its in the manufacturing process, but is gone by the time the teflon is in your hands.

i also think remi is right and the pan has to be heated way higher than it gets baking in the oven for any harm to come,

anyway, i have glass baking pans, and aluminum, and a couple with teflon.

stovetop i have skillets with and without teflon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I prefer cast iron for stove top and ceramic/glass for the oven. Seasoned properly and broken in, cast iron is similar to teflon in its non-stick capabilities. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find quality, heavy cast iron pans anymore. I asked my parents to will me theirs, but that's gonna take a while.

My main concern around teflon is that it easily chips off. Try making anything scrambled in them. Nope, that's not pepper you see...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not too paranoid, never liked teflon anyway. I too use glass even for my cinnamon buns. Perhaps a restaurant supply store has steel? I must take a look at the one near our house.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well Teflon does kill parrots. If it is scratched and heated at (I believe) 300 degrees F or above the fumes will kill birds. I've had friends that this has happened to and also it comes up in many bird-related publications. Very scary. Which is why we have SS and cast iron for the stove and glass for baking.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:
Teflon - Teflon fumes are deadly to birds! Teflon fumes arise when cooking with teflon-coated pots and pans at high temperatures or when pre-heating an empty pan for more than 3 minutes. While not harmful to other pets, these fumes are lethal to birds.

Teflon is now also being used in many household appliances. These include such items as hair dryers, heaters, lighting fixtures and more. Even if the appliances themselves have so little teflon that they are safe when used alone, incidents have been reported of teflon poisoning when more than one appliance is used at the same time.

Be sure to read the labels or ask questions when purchasing appliances. Remember, the bird you save may be your own!
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww1e.htm

I also have been told this by many Avian Certified Vets.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I don't bake on non-stick because I find it breaks down too quickly in the oven, so you end up with something that doesn't prevent sticking and that you can't scrub for fear of further damaging the coating. I have two aluminum half-sheet pans. Most of the time I line them wtih a silpat, so that covers the non-stick bit. My bread pans are also heavy-duty aluminum. My baking pans are all pyrex.

I cook mainly in stainless steel, plus a nonstick pan and a cast iron pan I use occasionally.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

Well Teflon does kill parrots. If it is scratched and heated at (I believe) 300 degrees F or above the fumes will kill birds. I've had friends that this has happened to and also it comes up in many bird-related publications. Very scary. Which is why we have SS and cast iron for the stove and glass for baking.
you believe wrong

try a new temperature (much higher)

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

^^ Well, whatever it has to be. That is why I don't have it in the house.
I have a couple, I just opt to not be an idiot and dry heat them on high for several minutes (the only way you could make teflon toxic on a domestic range) and I haven't killed my imaginary birds yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Question, I understand the reasons that Teflon are bad but earlier in the thread some folks were all worked up about silicon as well? I've never heard of problems with silicon cookware.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_heart View Post

Question, I understand the reasons that Teflon are bad but earlier in the thread some folks were all worked up about silicon as well? I've never heard of problems with silicon cookware.
Actually you don't understand the reasons teflon is bad. Teflon is not bad in any way you would use it unless you do something completely stupid. Similarly, pencils are safe unless you jam then in your eye. It is kinda like that. So you might as well just "understand" why silicone is bad and get on with your life.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Not true. The material, especially in low end cookware can flake off if it's accidentally left in the oven too long/burned, or if it's scratched. Granted, these are not ways in which the pans are designed to be used, but neither are they "completely stupid".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts