VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some people in England called their father Poppa. I know many of you call your mother Mum. My curiousity was tickled. Where were you raised and how do you address your mother and father.

I was raised in South Central US and I address them as Momma and Daddy when speaking to them.

Would anyone like to help satisfy my curiosity? How do you or did you address your parents?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i refer to my mother as mommy and when speaking to her i say mom.

when i speak of my father i generally say father or dad. i do not have a relationship with him now, but as a child i said dad.

i grew up in just outside of indianapolis, Indaiana. (U.S. for those who do not know)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
mom and a******

Since my mom is now a grandmom I have been calling her Nonna ( as my son does )

I don't call my in-laws anything - anyone else with this problem? I've actually talked to them about this and laughed, I'm not comfortable calling them mom and dad ( even though I'm closer with them then my own family )

I usually address them as mom-mom and pop-pop - they think it's pretty funny

I live in PA.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I say "maman" to my mother when speaking to her, and "pappa" when adressing my father. French and Norwegian, respectivly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I grew up in Connecticut, USA and I say Mom and Dad or Daddy. Though interestingly, I called my grandfather (on my dad's side) Papa. Don't know why.

(Edited to explain "CT")

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Mom and Dad. I'm from Nebraska.

My bf's daughter calls him Papa, though. Don't know where that came from, but it's awfully darn cute. She was born in Nebraska, too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I grew up calling mine mom & dad, now I call them collect!
Ok, really, as I've gotten older I call my mom Mommy, mum, mommo, hey lady, mumsie, you name it same with my dad, daddio, pops, popsicle, etc...you get the idea. I'm just a big goofus now!

My kids on the other hand call me momma. I really don't where it came from either, I guess they just kept it after they spoke it the first time.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
My mother is Mom when I'm speaking to her and Mother when I'm speaking about her. My father is most always Father. The guy that helped me out when I ran away I call Dad.

When I'm talking to the household animals and referring to myself, I'm Momma.

I was raised in Southern California.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts